Which .223 and .308 straight pull rifle?

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

BamBam

Re: Which .223 and .308 straight pull rifle?

#11 Post by BamBam »

Garbear wrote:I know Lantac do a nice .223 straight pull but there are so many options to choose in terms of style, barrel length, muzzle break etc., that I can't make my mind up for fear of making the wrong choice!
This is the standard straight pull from the Lantac factory.

All I've added is the scope and mount. They cost £2195
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#12 Post by Dark Skies »

I've always been more than satisfied with my SGC Speedmaster - there's usually one going for a reasonable sum on Guntrader.
Target (Shoot 'n' C about the size of a dinner plate) shot at 200 yards Short Siberia (And yes, the picture on the bench is one taken at 100 yards). Scope really isn't anything special (now replaced) Something made by a company called 'Sutter'.
Attachments
228211_214580371907571_5072918_n.jpg
P1090170.JPG
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#13 Post by Dark Skies »

Told a lie. That pic is post Sutter - swapped for a Vortex. But the target was shot with a humble run of the mill Sutter which may even have been intended for .22 lr / air rifles.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#14 Post by Alpha1 »

Why a straight pull whats wrong with a bolt action. Less money and just as accurate.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#15 Post by safetyfirst »

Don’t worry about the options, you can trick it up later. A good receiver group and good barrel is what you want. Bradley, Lantac, Schmeisser , Hera, NWCP are all good bets.

Go for a stock rifle with an upgraded trigger and leave the rest till you get used to the platform.
Andy

#16 Post by Andy »

There's a nice 308 POF in the for sale section.
I would have gone for it myself but want a POF revolt in 223.
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#17 Post by TattooedGun »

I guess the big question everyone seems to be missing is what do you want to do with said rifles?

Tailoring any rifle to the task you want to achieve is much better than grabbing a wide brush and saying "what should I get"...

For example, if you're in for CSR, then a straight pull is obviously the way to go, probably better to go .223 as there's less recoil and perfectly adequate for the distances involved - then you could get into specifics, i.e. something lightweight easy to manage, shorter barrel due to keeping weight down - whatever. but with that in mind it helps give a better picture.

If you're after something for long range shooting, then you'd want the bigger calibre - less affected by the wind (compared to .223) and you'd want a longer barrel to keep the speed of the bullet up if you're trying to reach out to 1000 yards. Truth be told, if you're going for long range accuracy, then a straight pull AR, Probably isn't your best option, and you're paying above the odds of an accurate rifle because it looks pretty - but if there's no justification, you'd probably find a much more accurate rifle for the money out of the box.

The best advice I could offer you, would be don't rush into buying any rifles, until you know what avenues you wish to persue - even then, go and have a go and get involved, see what other people use for the discipline, ask what works, what doesn't and why, get an understanding of what those who compete use before spending your hard earned, or you'll spend an awful lot of money on something that will sit in the safe being unloved, because you spent so much money putting the package together you don't wanna take the hit, but it doesn't really work for what you wanted it for...

best of luck!

TG
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#18 Post by Dellboy »

as above sensible advice
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Garbear

#19 Post by Garbear »

Really appreciate the advice guys, I'll do a bit more research!
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#20 Post by channel12 »

Dellboy wrote:as above sensible advice

Couldn't agree more, too many of us rush off and buy a "cool" gun without any regard of what you will use it for. No point in my opinion buying £2000 worth of rifle to plink at 50 yards.