Target rifle remi 700

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

42DAF

Target rifle remi 700

#1 Post by 42DAF »

I’m looking for a target rifle but struggling to find what I want. So had me thinking could a remi 700 sa (I have one spare) be rebarreled with a 30-32” 308 fitted with target sights but a good useable and capable target rifle.
johngarnett
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah

Re: Target rifle remi 700

#2 Post by johngarnett »

I have a Rem 700 that has been rebarrelled with a 30" Pacnor, 13T. I use it for FTR class. Jewell trigger fitted. I am surprised how good the results are.

For TR 'sling' shooting you may find you will need to restock the action to make it properly usable. ie Anschutz rail for bipod, handstop and sling attachment. The barrel can take a target foresight but the action will need a rail to take the rear sight assembly. Not sure if it would be cost effective? Sorry to p**s on your barbeque!!

Good luck whichever direction you head!

JohnG :cornwall:
42DAF

#3 Post by 42DAF »

Thank I’ll either use a copy of a mcmillian A5 I made for it in laminate, I’ve a weaver base which can take a tracker rear sight front sight as you say will fit.

So really a rebarrel (not hard) and then cutting a channel to fit an Anchutz rail in the forend again not hard or time consuming.

Probably a bottom metal change from a magazine to a single shot conversions on a bdl trigger guard or whole hog to remove stock void for the magazine
The Gun Pimp

#4 Post by The Gun Pimp »

42DAF wrote:I’m looking for a target rifle but struggling to find what I want. So had me thinking could a remi 700 sa (I have one spare) be rebarreled with a 30-32” 308 fitted with target sights but a good useable and capable target rifle.
The simple answer is 'yes' but you would be building a complete rifle around the 'so so' Remmy 700 action - it would be a difficult/expensive route. Most gunshops will have an old Target Rifle or two on the racks gathering dust which would be a far easier route.
42DAF

#5 Post by 42DAF »

The Gun Pimp wrote:
42DAF wrote:I’m looking for a target rifle but struggling to find what I want. So had me thinking could a remi 700 sa (I have one spare) be rebarreled with a 30-32” 308 fitted with target sights but a good useable and capable target rifle.
The simple answer is 'yes' but you would be building a complete rifle around the 'so so' Remmy 700 action - it would be a difficult/expensive route. Most gunshops will have an old Target Rifle or two on the racks gathering dust which would be a far easier route.

I take it you dislike the battle proven 700. A blue printed 700 will be better than an old worn Mauser Enfield. For £600 plus sights (I’d buy trackers any way) I cant see what I could get that won’t need rebarreling soon end up at £1200.

Is there actually an issue using the 700 as a target rifle.
bernard93
Home club or Range: Bisley

#6 Post by bernard93 »

42DAF wrote:
The Gun Pimp wrote:

I take it you dislike the battle proven 700. A blue printed 700 will be better than an old worn Mauser Enfield. For £600 plus sights (I’d buy trackers any way) I cant see what I could get that won’t need rebarreling soon end up at £1200.

Is there actually an issue using the 700 as a target rifle.

No not really, In the states they are used a lot more for match rifle (3 position) and long range/palma, not really considered here in the uk due to the RG ammo that used to be issued for the imperial meeting and other competitions which guided shooters to using a 3 or 4 lug action like barnards, swings and RPA’s. you can make it work alright but it may be a cheaper option to pick up a second hand swing to modify rather that using the 700 as the starting point..

Hope this helps!

Bernard
42DAF

#7 Post by 42DAF »

The plan was to find a good use Musgrave Swing or Paramount but I just can’t find one at sensible money.

From my shooting so far I’ve found RPAs and some others opening the bolt is clunky and takes the rifle out of the aim probably not as important prone shooting where the rifle comes out of the shoulder between shots anyway.
The Gun Pimp

#8 Post by The Gun Pimp »

It kinda depends on how serious you are. Do you just want a rifle for the occasional club shoot or do you want a competitive Target Rifle?

The word 'blueprinting' means different things to different folks - if you were to fully blueprint a Remmy 700 it would exceed the cost of a custom action. Most gunsmiths will simply true-up the action face and skim the lugs. The Rem 700 is a very flimsy action to hang a 30 inch barrel off. But yes - I've seen it done.

Plus, if and when you come to sell it - it will be just a clunky old Remmy.
42DAF

#9 Post by 42DAF »

Now that’s was my concern that the tenon is not very long on a remi compared say a Barnard and the 30” barrel would create me issues.

As to resale the action owes me nothing and they are always easy to sell in parts. As to blue printing I’ve trued up all faces and recut the threads square the centre line as well as lapping the lugs etc.