Moderator recommendation

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

Moderator recommendation

#1 Post by Plumose »

I am looking for a recommendation for a moderator for my Sabatti STR in 6.5 creedmoor, I believe it is 5/8 X 24 TPI

What are the pros and cons of an over barrel mod?
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

Re: Moderator recommendation

#2 Post by WelshShooter »

Pro: does not overly extend the length of your rifle, keeps the centre of gravity closer to you than the muzzle.

Cons: traps the heat more within the barrel so you will need to allow more time for the barrel to cool.

I've got a wildcat moderator on my 223 for range use and it does get hot after ten rounds to the point where you can see the "mirage" through the scope due to the hot barrel. The rifle doesn't feel very front heavy as expected. I'd like to try it side by side with something like an ase utra just to see how they compare.
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#3 Post by DaveB »

I like ASE Utra myself. I have one of their Jet Z Compact BL units, and it does everything I expect of it.
Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

#4 Post by Triffid »

I've got a Wildcat over-barrel job for my .223 & .243 and an ASE SL5 can for 6.5CM and .308. The Wildcat is a bit heavier and bulkier but there's not that much in it; both moderators change the feel of the rifle.

I don't fit them much for range use. Whilst they reduce recoil noticeably, they also change the barrel harmonics so I get a POI shift and need separate handloads developed to suit. Like WS says, the heat-shimmer/mirage coming off them when they get hot can completely disrupt the sight picture, particularly at high magnification.

Triffid
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#5 Post by DaveB »

Mirage can be an issue, but I have one of these:

https://www.aseutra.fi/heatmirage-covers.html

Won't make the problem go away completely, but it does significantly delay the onset of the problem, and reduces its effect.

Or you can go even more high-tech https://www.magpul.com/products/suppressor-cover-5-5
BamBam

#6 Post by BamBam »

I have a Hardy reflex can, it's light, reduces muzzle report and recoil, but it does get very hot.
Probably should fit a cover to reduce the heat shimmer.
Racalman
Home club or Range: LPSC and NRA

#7 Post by Racalman »

Triffid wrote:I don't fit them much for range use. Whilst they reduce recoil noticeably, they also change the barrel harmonics so I get a POI shift and need separate handloads developed to suit.
When I swap between my muzzle brake and ASE UTRA there is indeed a shift in POI but group sizes are smaller with the moderator so the same handload will do for both.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#8 Post by Sim G »

I’m fortunate to have moderators by Tier One, Wilcat Custom, Neilson, DPT, A-Tec and Brugger & Thomet. I’m buggered if I could descern which one is the “best”! They’re all much of a muchness it seems these days. That said, friends have ASE which Id love to give a go and PES seem built to last!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Ballistol

#9 Post by Ballistol »

There are many to choose from, but ASE Utra SL series wins every time for me, compact, effective and hard wearing in stainless steel.
Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

#10 Post by Plumose »

Thanks for all the advice, at some point in the New Year I will probably be splashing the cash and ASE Ultra's seem to be a good option,
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net