Taming the straight pull on an AKM

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

Re: Taming the straight pull on an AKM

#11 Post by WelshShooter »

snayperskaya wrote:
WelshShooter wrote:Da, Tovarisch Snayperskaya has the right idea! I'm a wuss and even I can manage to operate one of Snayperskaya's AK's with the spent case charging handle :good:
To be honest I took that pic off the 'net......my charging handles are as Tovarischi Kalashnikov and Dragunov intended! ussrflag
Hah, my memory obviously not the best, but in this case I have gained a few extra man points...

Is it literally just the tension from the spring which is making it difficult or are there some surfaces you could polish to help slide it back?
Nelly2014
Home club or Range: WNSC, UKPSA, SDC, MYOB

#12 Post by Nelly2014 »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CYMA-AK-Char ... :rk:1:pf:0

These work great. I've got them on my AKM and my Armsan RS-S1. And get down the gym lol
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#13 Post by safetyfirst »

Andy632 wrote:You could always get a spare spring to practice with.
I had to lop some coils off my Walther G22 to get it cycle properly.
this thought was what led me to start this thread, seems I’d be the first one on here to try it, might have a chat with Oleg first....
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#14 Post by safetyfirst »

WelshShooter wrote:
snayperskaya wrote:
WelshShooter wrote:Da, Tovarisch Snayperskaya has the right idea! I'm a wuss and even I can manage to operate one of Snayperskaya's AK's with the spent case charging handle :good:
To be honest I took that pic off the 'net......my charging handles are as Tovarischi Kalashnikov and Dragunov intended! ussrflag
Hah, my memory obviously not the best, but in this case I have gained a few extra man points...

Is it literally just the tension from the spring which is making it difficult or are there some surfaces you could polish to help slide it back?
there are things I could polish but overcoming the spring tension is the main thing.

The lower the effort required, the faster the reload, the less the disruption in position and the easier it is on the fingers.

I’ll have a little ponder :)
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#15 Post by safetyfirst »

Nelly2014 wrote:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CYMA-AK-Char ... :rk:1:pf:0

These work great. I've got them on my AKM and my Armsan RS-S1. And get down the gym lol
Thanks. They do look good. It’s not an issue with strength (I love the gym, gives me twice weekly quiet time to think about modifying firearms) it just seems like it’s harder than it needs to be. My straight pull 5.56 was like butter in comparison.
Fedaykin
Home club or Range: Cawdor

#16 Post by Fedaykin »

First the solution: Wear gloves, make sure the chamber is clean and shoot it LOTS! The more you shoot the more compression the spring will get and easier it will be to run.

Next the issue: The OP mentions overcoming 'Spring tension', this sounds like a primary extraction problem. It might appear to be spring that is the issue here but you need to remember these military straight pulls lack the mechanical primary extraction of a bolt action and without the gas system in operation the energy to easily un-stick the case out of the chamber. You are not just fighting the spring but also the spent case as it is unstuck and ejected!

Once you have fired a round don't hang about with a spent case in the chamber and likewise a new round. With these military straight pulls you really need to get into the technique of shooting pretty rapidly.
I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz.
I have lived 300 years...

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
full of mystery and intrigue,
rich in irony, and most satirical.
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#17 Post by breacher »

Just get an AR Straightpull charging handle modification done. It will transform it.

I did it on the Dragunov I used to have. Worked very well.
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#18 Post by safetyfirst »

Well I’ve got a brick of 1,000 rounds so that shouldn’t be a problem :)

Thanks all :)
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#19 Post by safetyfirst »

breacher wrote:Just get an AR Straightpull charging handle modification done. It will transform it.

I would really like one of the Davis left hand charging top covers but they don’t seem to respond to emails.

I bet they’d be dead popular over here.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#20 Post by snayperskaya »

breacher wrote:Just get an AR Straightpull charging handle modification done. It will transform it.

Nooooooo!!!!..........you people are just wrong! :p

"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!