Taming the straight pull on an AKM

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

JammyGuns

Re: Taming the straight pull on an AKM

#21 Post by JammyGuns »

This is mine. It's a dream to cycle - may look a bit funky but honestly it's better to have something that's easy to use.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#22 Post by snayperskaya »

:squirrel:.....that has got to be the most butchered dust cover I've seen!.....no mag well dimples, cleaning rod or muzzle brake either!!!!.

Any more of this and it's gulag......ahem......."re-education centre" time for you people!!!!

:p
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#23 Post by Maggot »

I think the problem may be that, cartainly in the case of AR Platforms, the rifles were built and chambered for straight pull to start with.

Parts of my AR have been polished over the years to a point where the bolt will close and lock under its own weight with the slightest tilt. It will unlock with the flick of a finger like a biathlon rifle, partly because it is correctly lubricated but also because it is chambered to take hotter mill surp loads as well as my handloads. As you know hot loads may produce excessive bolt thrust and lock the chamber up that bit more which can be problematical with rotary bolts. I have heard of fluted chambers being used to help combat this.

Also, our grips and straight pull handles are angled down and knurled to make them easy to grab with the index finger without totally releasing the pistol grip.

I know this may sound daft but good clean and fairly polished brass also helps, certainly the nickel plated cases in my BAR10 feed much better than standard .308 ammunition.

Try some moly grease on the spring and rod for a start, helped a load with my BAR15/10 springs.

The AK should be ok as they can be farely loose fitting but in reality it is a sum of small changes that makes an overall difference. We see few if any AKs on the CSR circuit to be fair.

Whatever you do with the spring, it needs to close and lock the bolt when hot and not ridden/forward assisted. If it is too weak it may not carry enough inertia to lock properly (which is how people riding the bolt on ARs get short strokes which leads to miss fires/strikes).
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#24 Post by kennyc »

Maggot wrote:I think the problem may be that, cartainly in the case of AR Platforms, the rifles were built and chambered for straight pull to start with.

Parts of my AR have been polished over the years to a point where the bolt will close and lock under its own weight with the slightest tilt. It will unlock with the flick of a finger like a biathlon rifle, partly because it is correctly lubricated but also because it is chambered to take hotter mill surp loads as well as my handloads. As you know hot loads may produce excessive bolt thrust and lock the chamber up that bit more which can be problematical with rotary bolts. I have heard of fluted chambers being used to help combat this.

Also, our grips and straight pull handles are angled down and knurled to make them easy to grab with the index finger without totally releasing the pistol grip.

I know this may sound daft but good clean and fairly polished brass also helps, certainly the nickel plated cases in my BAR10 feed much better than standard .308 ammunition.

Try some moly grease on the spring and rod for a start, helped a load with my BAR15/10 springs.

The AK should be ok as they can be farely loose fitting but in reality it is a sum of small changes that makes an overall difference. We see few if any AKs on the CSR circuit to be fair.

Whatever you do with the spring, it needs to close and lock the bolt when hot and not ridden/forward assisted. If it is too weak it may not carry enough inertia to lock properly (which is how people riding the bolt on ARs get short strokes which leads to miss fires/strikes).
the Swiss Stgw57 used a fluted chamber to help with extraction (in part) but you wouldn't want to reload the cases! they come out black and distorted (admittedly the kick in the nuts from the ejector doesn't help either) if hard extration is an issue, possibly worth looking at this. although its too much trouble for me :D
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#25 Post by breacher »

I believe the HK G3 also uses a fluted chamber ?
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#26 Post by WelshShooter »

breacher wrote:I believe the HK G3 also uses a fluted chamber ?
I believe that's correct, I remember reading on US forums that the G3 rifles have fluted chambers and that reloading for it is pointless unless you like buying brass a lot. The PTR 91 and CETME rifles also have fluted chambers.
Dahonis

#27 Post by Dahonis »

WelshShooter wrote:
I believe that's correct, I remember reading on US forums that the G3 rifles have fluted chambers and that reloading for it is pointless unless you like buying brass a lot. The PTR 91 and CETME rifles also have fluted chambers.
I can confirm they did have fluted chambers. I think that is still the case, though unsure as it’s been a while.

Never use .308 brass in them!!
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#28 Post by snayperskaya »

WelshShooter wrote:
As does the Russian SVT-40 and the fluted chamber was the main reason why a straight-pull version that was being worked on by LDT in Luxembourg was put on hold due to very hard extraction.A lot of SVT shooters in the States only run steel cased ammunition in them as brass cases don't fair well at all in them!.

"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Sim G
Past Supporter

#29 Post by Sim G »

With my old Ruger Mini 14 straight pull I had a gunsmith weld a small section of rod onto the charging handle which he then screw cut and attached a Badger Ordnance type bolt handle. Just enough to give s good grasp but not look too out of place.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#30 Post by Maggot »

snayperskaya wrote:
WelshShooter wrote:
As does the Russian SVT-40 and the fluted chamber was the main reason why a straight-pull version that was being worked on by LDT in Luxembourg was put on hold due to very hard extraction.A lot of SVT shooters in the States only run steel cased ammunition in them as brass cases don't fair well at all in them!.

Funilly enough I have some Federal .308 used by my lot that has clearly been fired in a rifle with a fluted chamber...I will ask some questions ;)