SIG Sauer rifles.

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Torf

Re: SIG Sauer rifles.

#11 Post by Torf »

The Sauer 200 STR aka SSG3000 is the standard competitionrifle in the Scandinavian countries. About 20 years ago all the Scandinavian countries needed to upgrade the ageing Mauser M96, M98 and Krag targetrifles for their national shooting events. All manufacturers of targetrifles were invited to a competition to select the best rifle. Enteries were from Mauser, Steyr, Winchester, Sauer, + +.

Sauer won the competition with a new concept. They won with a rifle that eliminates the gunsmith from the foodchain. That's why "experts" hate this rifle.

The shooter himself can do all work on his rifle. Changing barrels take only a few minutes. This is very important if the level og competition is such that you need 2 or 3 barrels new barrels during a season/year. 12-15000 rounds pr year trough one rifle is not uncommon in Norway.

A new Sauer 200 STR in 6.5x55 is a .4moa rifle out of the box with factory ammo. If you take 5 STR rifles and completely disassemble them into a large heap of parts, then reassemble them with all parts mixed, you still have 5 STR-rifles capable of .4moa. Any person who can put together furniture from IKEA is capable of doing this.

I think Sauer has sold about 80000 of these rifles in the Scandinavian countries.

Hers'e a clip from national television. Start video at 6:00minutes showing winner in 2008 rapid fire final: http://www.nrk.no/nett-tv/klipp/521030/

Here's the ordering form: http://www.dfs.no/no/Salgsinformasjon/f ... ivelse.pdf
Robin128

#12 Post by Robin128 »

Welcome to the forum, Torf.

Good post!

:good:
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#13 Post by Ovenpaa »

Brilliant post Torf, I am currently watching the whole thing to the end. Who says shooting competitions are boring? Sadly we do not get this sort of TV coverage in the UK and certainly not with such an enthusiastic commentary which is why I do like the Scandinavian shooting comps, they are whole different world to ours.

What are the red rifle barrels? I have seen them used in the sport hunting comps in DK as well.

Welcome to the forum! :good:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Torf

#14 Post by Torf »

The red barrel is a Schultz&Larsen blank finished by Våpensmia in Norway. Våpensmia make the locking lugs in the barrel extention, chambering and add a thick red acrylic paint to reduce vibration. Våpensmia also make "blue" barrels for the Sauer using Heym hammerforged blanks.

Sauer and Våpensmia match barrels cost app £300 + vat in Norway. Much cheaper than fitting a regular barrel to a convetional action. The Sauer barrels even com with a factory test target shot at the factory in a machine rest.

Våpensmia barrels: http://www.vapensmia.no/siv/index.php

Use link: "Våpen/piper"
Ovenpaa

#15 Post by Ovenpaa »

Torf wrote:The red barrel is a Schultz&Larsen blank finished by Våpensmia in Norway. Våpensmia make the locking lugs in the barrel extention, chambering and add a thick red acrylic paint to reduce vibration. Våpensmia also make "blue" barrels for the Sauer using Heym hammerforged blanks.

Sauer and Våpensmia match barrels cost app £300 + vat in Norway. Much cheaper than fitting a regular barrel to a convetional action. The Sauer barrels even com with a factory test target shot at the factory in a machine rest.

Våpensmia barrels: http://www.vapensmia.no/siv/index.php

Use link: "Våpen/piper"
Now that is interesting, do you know if Våpensmia can supply barrels treated in this way for S&L switch barrel rifles? We have the S&L M97-DL Sporter in 6,5-284 and will need to consider a new barrel at some point so something heavier would be good. We are at the S&L factory next month so I was going to ask them what the options were then.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
DW58
Home club or Range: Cawdor RGC

#16 Post by DW58 »

Sorry for jumping onto this topic so late, but suffice to say I've owned a Sauer 200 with .243 and .308 barrels since 1988 - accuracy is superb. I have two scopes on EAW swing mounts and there is full return to zero when changing scope/barrel.

Would I buy it again, YES!
Rob
.22 Anschütz 1416 | .22 Browning T-Bolt | .222 Rem CZ (Mod) | .223 Rem Tikka/KRG X-Ray chassis | .243 Win/.308 Win Sauer 200 (Mod) | .308 Win Tikka T3/GRS Bolthorn chassis | .300 WSM Tikka T3/KRG X-Ray chassis| .308 Sig Sauer SSG 3000 | 7.5x55mm K31
ordnance

#17 Post by ordnance »

I am not sure about their rifles but their handguns are highly regarded but expensive. I see a 9mm one here for sale , Sig Sauer - P226 £1375.00.
Chuck

#18 Post by Chuck »

2 x Sig P229 in .40sw with 9mm conversions - check
1x Sig 556 (5.56) assault rifle with 30 rnd mags (see the photo) - check

Problems and stoppages - ZERO!

Just noted Scotsguns comments from many moons ago, no disagreement these Scotsgun and as you know it IS all about shot palcement. Winchester Lawman .40SW HP Law enforcement rounds, 165grains around 1100+FPS - they're wee screamers.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
DW58
Home club or Range: Cawdor RGC

#19 Post by DW58 »

DW58 wrote:Sorry for jumping onto this topic so late, but suffice to say I've owned a Sauer 200 with .243 and .308 barrels since 1988 - accuracy is superb. I have two scopes on EAW swing mounts and there is full return to zero when changing scope/barrel.

Would I buy it again, YES!
And I did ... ... ... I have a Sig Sauer SSG 3000 in .308, with plans for additional barrels in 6x47mm and 6.5mmCM.
Rob
.22 Anschütz 1416 | .22 Browning T-Bolt | .222 Rem CZ (Mod) | .223 Rem Tikka/KRG X-Ray chassis | .243 Win/.308 Win Sauer 200 (Mod) | .308 Win Tikka T3/GRS Bolthorn chassis | .300 WSM Tikka T3/KRG X-Ray chassis| .308 Sig Sauer SSG 3000 | 7.5x55mm K31
Blackstuff

#20 Post by Blackstuff »

If its Swiss made, you're probably on to a winner. I'm told from a very reliable source that since the manufacturing has gone to the US the quality has noticeably dropped off.
DVC