SIG Sauer rifles.

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

SIG Sauer rifles.

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

Does anyone have a view on Sig Sauer rifles? Build quality, accuracy, ability to re-barrel? I am particularly interested in the 300m style rifles but feedback on any Sauer would be handy.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
R.G.C

Re: SIG Sauer rifles.

#2 Post by R.G.C »

ovenpaa wrote:Does anyone have a view on Sig Sauer rifles? Build quality, accuracy, ability to re-barrel? I am particularly interested in the 300m style rifles but feedback on any Sauer would be handy.
Ovenpaa,

I was given to inspect a Sauer rifle...not impressed. Barrel is clamped on action by 3 screws, bolt in barrel, two priciples I never liked very much.

Triger is same as the Wearherby MK V 'poor single stage), with Bolt stop integral witht he trigger and actuated by the Trigger kever (a second feature I never liked) Shooting-wise??I think it is more a hunter than really a target one.
My point only
R.G.C
Chapuis

#3 Post by Chapuis »

Sauer excellant rifles. Not quite as quick to change barrels (202) as some other multi barrel systems but still very good. Shouldn't take more than four or five minutes to change barrels/calibres. Be careful which calibres you buy as it may be necessary to buy two or more bolts due to the fewer number of locking lugs with the smaller calibres. Also be aware of problems with the alloy receivers due to thread stripping of scope mounts. This isn't such a problem with the steel receivers or a problem with integral scope mounts. Obviously the Sauer 90's etc are basically a 98 action but beautifully put together.
Scotsgun

#4 Post by Scotsgun »

The forestry commission rangers used to be able to choose a sig sauer 90s in the days before adopting the Tikka T3s. They were beautifully manufactured rifles which were practically hand built. A few mates had them and i always lusted after them.

My only other real experience of their products was the P226 pistol i carried for a while and the occassional assault rifle (550 series). Those were very good kit but i can't honestly comment on any of the newer civilian stuff.
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

Thanks for the observations all.

The only SIG I shot was the 210 pistol quite a few times and it was fine, quite accurate in fact for a 9mm.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Chapuis

#6 Post by Chapuis »

I nearly bought a 202 last year the only problem was that while I could pick up a .308 immediately the 9.3x62 barrel was a minimum of a 6 month wait in this country, though you could pick one up off the shelf in most gunshops in Germany. As usual the importers only stock or order those items that are in constant demmand and are not interested in ordering calibres that are not in the top ten in this country.
Scotsgun

#7 Post by Scotsgun »

ovenpaa wrote:Thanks for the observations all.

.......quite accurate in fact for a 9mm.

:roll: :roll: :roll: a pussy round ! Try the 40sw (my fav) or the venerable 45
Ovenpaa

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

Never tried the 40SW shot a fair amount of .38 the 45 to a lesser degree plus the .44 and 50 rounds through a .46 on one occasion (ouch!)
/d

Shed Journal
Scotsgun

#9 Post by Scotsgun »

More stopping power than the 9mm but less kick than the 45...that and more space in the mag (usually). My fav revolver round is the 357.

No doubt chuck will be along soon to disagree ;)
elmer

#10 Post by elmer »

I have a Sauer 202 in 30-06 and it is outstanding in every respect. Looks beautiful and is superlatively accurate. Would recommend it to anyone. I use it for hunting though, not targets, so cannot comment on that aspect.