Rossi 92 Mag Spring length

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Nelly2014
Home club or Range: WNSC, UKPSA, SDC, MYOB

Rossi 92 Mag Spring length

#1 Post by Nelly2014 »

I'm getting some double feeds with my Rossi 38/357 and I'm wondering if it is related to spring length. About a foot protrudes when it's loose and I'm just asking if anyone has cut their spring and how much.
lapua338

Re: Rossi 92 Mag Spring length

#2 Post by lapua338 »

I had mine replaced with a stainless steel magazine spring which has been cut to 7" longer than the magazine tube. It's worked perfectly with the correct tension since installation.

I found the 16" carbine had the same spring as the 24" model and generated far too much tension. It needed to be much shorter to suit the gun.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#3 Post by Sim G »

It won’t be the magazine spring at fault, but either the cartridge stop or the cartridge stop spring. If it’s intermittent, I’d imagine the cartridge stop spring.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Individual
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Individual »

Sim G wrote:It won’t be the magazine spring at fault, but either the cartridge stop or the cartridge stop spring. If it’s intermittent, I’d imagine the cartridge stop spring.
+1 What he said.

Been a while since I had a '92 but I remember that the cartridge stop spring is easy to put back the wrong way round which will cause the double feed issue you describe
Nelly2014

#5 Post by Nelly2014 »

No I checked the cartridge stop spring and it's ok. I cut about 4 inch off the spring and it seems to have stopped the double feed, easier to load as well now. I've found another issue, the screws holding the weaver rail (care of 'Bob in Wednesbury') keep coming loose with the recoil so I'll need to replace with allens and threadlock. I currently have a PAO pistol scope on it but am considering a red dot. What do others use?
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#6 Post by Daryll »

I fixed a reciever mounted Williams peep sight to my .45 Colt Rossi... took a bit of balls to start drilling the reciever, but worked well in the end...
Sim G
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Sim G »

The shape of the cartridge stop and the strength of the spring are what stops the premature release of cartridges from the magazine. All you have done is weaken one other part to compensate for a weakness. Yes it will be easier to load as you have now weakened that spring.

As you continue to use it, you will weaken the mag spring and the cartridge spring further. You will have reliability issues again.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Nelly2014

#8 Post by Nelly2014 »

Sim G wrote:The shape of the cartridge stop and the strength of the spring are what stops the premature release of cartridges from the magazine. All you have done is weaken one other part to compensate for a weakness. Yes it will be easier to load as you have now weakened that spring.

As you continue to use it, you will weaken the mag spring and the cartridge spring further. You will have reliability issues again.
The shape of the cartridge stop has not changed. The cartridge spring has not been altered? The only thing changed is the length of the mag spring and only by a small amount. If I have further reliability issues then I will compensate accordingly.
Thanks for your input.
Andy

#9 Post by Andy »

Mine was spitting the odd live round out. I found that making the ammo longer helped ( rnfp oal 1.475) but also filed the cartridge stop at its pivot point so that it moves out more. That fixed it.
So I agree with the others ,it'll be the cartridge stop.
Nelly2014

#10 Post by Nelly2014 »

Andy wrote:Mine was spitting the odd live round out. I found that making the ammo longer helped ( rnfp oal 1.475) but also filed the cartridge stop at its pivot point so that it moves out more. That fixed it.
So I agree with the others ,it'll be the cartridge stop.
Andy, could you pm me details of that please?