Ruger Precision first impressions

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

Re: Ruger Precision first impressions

#21 Post by Dellboy »

Alpha1 wrote:
snayperskaya wrote:
Alpha1 wrote:I dont know if Im happy with It I wont know till I get to shoot it. £1780 is not a lot of money for a rifle ?
It is if you don't like it.......
No, you just sell it and buy something else. Life is to short to worry about money.

Can i borrow a tenner please :run:
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#22 Post by Alpha1 »

lol
Sim G
Past Supporter

#23 Post by Sim G »

Yep, that's the mount Dave. All you have to do once it's clamped in there, is move it back and forth along the rail to get the correct eye relief. Jeff can no doubt help you sort that bit.

I think once you've shot it and seen what it can do, then take Vince up on his offer to get over to Diggle, then let him show you what an RPR really can do, you will be pleased at spending the money.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Alpha1

#24 Post by Alpha1 »

Ill order one up. Cheers.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#25 Post by Pete »

£1780 is not a lot of money for a rifle????

It is on my planet..........

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#26 Post by phaedra1106 »

Alpha1 wrote:Ill order one up. Cheers.
There's no need for that mount on the RPR, standard rings will do the job, just get the scope objective as close to the rail as possible. The cheek rest is completely adjustable, unless you have a tiny or huge head you should be able to get the correct cheek weld to see through the scope.

Please bring it here or to St.Giles before spending any more money on it.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#27 Post by phaedra1106 »

Sorry, won't let me edit (the one annoyance I have with this forum!).

As for the price, I paid about £1300 for my Mk1 RPR, the Tikka Tac A1 was £1680. Having sold the RPR I bought my son one of the new Sabatti Urban Scouts in .308, wasn't expecting much for £750 but I have to say I'm impressed so far, trigger breaks clean and accuracy is 1/2 MOA out of the box.

Only couple of niggles are the bolt lift isn't as smooth as a Tikka, but at £1,000 less I wouldn't expect it to be!. And the Polymer magazine is pants, can barely get 8rnds in, looks a dead copy of the original (and also pants) MDT polymer mag. Good news is a Magpul or Accurate mag will sort that problem out :)
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Alpha1

#28 Post by Alpha1 »

phaedra1106 wrote:
There's no need for that mount on the RPR, standard rings will do the job, just get the scope objective as close to the rail as possible. The cheek rest is completely adjustable, unless you have a tiny or huge head you should be able to get the correct cheek weld to see through the scope.

Please bring it here or to St.Giles before spending any more money on it.
What time are you there on Monday I may be able to bring it up if nothing else crops up. Thanks for the help by the way I appreciate it.
I know what you mean about the edit thing its madness.
Alpha1

#29 Post by Alpha1 »

Pete wrote:£1780 is not a lot of money for a rifle????

It is on my planet..........

Pete
To be honest I sold two rifles that covered 50% of the cost a very nice P14 and a .22 training rifle. I have another two for sale with my local Registered firearms dealer if they go it just about covers the cost of the rifle.
I wasn't shooting them as well as some others in my cabinets so I had a cull. I still have another couple I'm thinking of letting go. They only have sentimental value really. I have owned them for a lifetime.
I was lucky I was around when Lee Enfield No4s were £100 to £150. 8mm Mausers less than that I paid £50 for a Nagant. I have boxes and boxes of stuff I have accumulated over the years and I'm slowly selling it off.

But I know naff all about modern stuff and scopes as you have probably gathered.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#30 Post by Sim G »

phaedra1106 wrote:
There's no need for that mount on the RPR, standard rings will do the job, just get the scope objective as close to the rail as possible. The cheek rest is completely adjustable, unless you have a tiny or huge head you should be able to get the correct cheek weld to see through the.

Mounting the scope as low as possible is not the answer. The answer is as low as possible whilst still fitting your head behind it!!! Firstly the RPR is a “flat rail” secondly, from what Dave has said, he’s already done that and the rings he used hasn’t worked. If they had been too high, he could have adjusted the cheek piece. Evidently they are too low for weld but the scope still fits so to speak, closer to the rail. Hence if it’s not already touching the rail, taking it lower again only exacerbates the problem.

Exactly what a mate did. Tried all sorts of rings. Came round to mine and knowing that part of the concept for the RPR was to be able to set up your precision bolt gun the same as your AR. After weeks of frustration I dropped a Leupold Mk4 mount on there, perfect. But he didn’t want to spend Leupold money. Took the PEPR off my S&W, again perfect. Considering PEPR stands for Proper Eye Position Ready, it does what it says.

Other blokes in the club have done exactly the same, just used a PEPR mount straight onto the RPR then back and forth for eye relief. It’s just as cost effective but works straight away.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!