NRA Strategic Review 2015-17

A section for news and announcements only.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
karen

Re: NRA Strategic Review 2015-17

#31 Post by karen »

Chapuis wrote:Several clubs have told me that they are paying over £3,000 per annum in capitation fees and get virtually nothing for their money.
We've had this discussion before - as Steve E says I cannot believe one club pays that let alone several. Can you confirm that this is JUST NRA affiliation (not all the costs associated with running a club)? If a club has its own range and various running costs and insurances are added in then I can see costs of that sort of level but certainly not just for NRA affiliation.

Love

Karen
Chapuis

#32 Post by Chapuis »

Andy632 wrote:
Chapuis wrote:
John MH wrote:There are not many alternatives for 'Home Office Approved' clubs.
John I was always under the impression that in order for a club to have H.O. approval then the club must belong to either the NSRA, MLAGB or the NRA. In fact when I club I started many years ago sought approval it was necessary for us to obtain the application form from either the NSRA or the NRA and our local force insisted on proof of affiliation before the Chief Constable would give his approval for forwarding to the H.O.

I have recently been told by another shooter that this is not the case and that a club can be Home Office approved without belonging to one of these organisations so naturally I went looking for information to confirm what the actual situation is but but so far haven't been able to find that information printed anywhere. Can anyone quote chapter and verse to tell me where to find the required information that confirms this one way or another as my initial search of the relevant section of the guidance to police document with regard to clubs has failed to shed light on this.

P.S. Our club has it's own private range so does not use M.O.D. ranges and suitable insurance could be obtained elsewhere than via the NRA scheme should we ever decide to go down that route but don't get me wrong the club is actually quite supportive of the NRA and it's objectives.

Criteria for approval are quite clear.........

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... -clubs.pdf
I'm aware of and have a copy of that document Andy but nowhere in the document can I see it stated that a Club must be affiliated to the NRA, NSRA or MLAGB. It is confirmation stating that affiliation to one of these organisations is compulsory for a H.O. approved club that I am seeking.

Karen I do not know the finances of the clubs or how their fees are broken up. I can only tell you what they have told me, that they pay over £3,000 to the NRA each year. In both cases the clubs have very large memberships and shoot only on MOD ranges. You could well be right and the persons telling me this have confused the issue slightly but I do know for absolute certain that in the case of my own small club the fees that we pay to the NRA have certainly risen significently over a relatively short period of years
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#33 Post by Andy632 »

Criteria for approval are quite clear.........

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... -clubs.pdf[/quote]

I'm aware of and have a copy of that document Andy but nowhere in the document can I see it stated that a Club must be affiliated to the NRA, NSRA or MLAGB. It is confirmation stating that affiliation to one of these organisations is compulsory for a H.O. approved club that I am seeking.

[/quote]

Absolutely correct, if you meet the criteria then it is not compulsory to be affiliated. Couldn't be clearer in my interpretation.
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
John MH

#34 Post by John MH »

But to use a MoD Range you must be affiliated.
Andy632

#35 Post by Andy632 »

John MH wrote:But to use a MoD Range you must be affiliated.
Yes, but the OP stated that like us he does not use an MOD range, therefore that is not an issue in his case.
John MH

#36 Post by John MH »

Andy632 wrote:
Yes, but the OP stated that like us he does not use an MOD range, therefore that is not an issue in his case.
Maybe so but for the vast majority of full bore rifle clubs access to the ever dwindling availability of MoD Ranges requires affiliation to one of the NGBs.
Andy632

#37 Post by Andy632 »

John MH wrote:
Andy632 wrote:
Maybe so but for the vast majority of full bore rifle clubs access to the ever dwindling availability of MoD Ranges requires affiliation to one of the NGBs.
Very lucky if they can afford access to a MOD range; our local one is prohibitively expensive, therefore not used.