Krag-Jorgensen Safety Update

A section for news and announcements only.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
davidh195
Past Supporter

#1 Post by davidh195 »

I applaud your enthusiasm, even though your grip on reality may be somewhat tenuous......
Charlie Muggins

Re: Krag-Jorgensen Safety Update

#2 Post by Charlie Muggins »

The NRA recently completed, on behalf of MoD, an investigation into an accident involving a Krag-Jorgensen rifle. The technical investigation revealed matters that the NRA believes should be brought to the attention of all owners of Krag-Jorgensen rifles. In particular, there is published information that a substantial number of K-R rifles were rebarreled shortly after World War II, and that the standard of work may have been unsatisfactory in some cases.

Aspects of the technical investigation into the rifle involved in the accident tend to confirm that information. Please see the attached redacted version of the accident report including the full detail of the findings regarding the rifle itself.

The NRA requires all members owning Krag-Jorgenson rifles fitted with replacement barrels (other than those replacements carried out under the current owner?s instructions and bearing proof marks issued under CIP regulations or by one of the UK proof houses) to have the rifle checked by a competent gunsmith before it is used under the auspices of the NRA

Andrew Mercer
Secretary General
TLDR: Shonky handloads and rebarreling by Olaf Bubbason decades ago probably combined to destroy a rifle and injure three range users.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

Looks like.

But still uncertain.

I wonder why certain parts like those referring to the handloads were redacted, personal details I can understand but insights into the cause I find puzzling omissions.

When I see Lees Modern Reloading book quoted as a reference source then the credibility of those parts of the report have to be questioned in my mind.

And don't get me on about "primer sign" as evidence of sound headspace.

A year to produce seems a long time.

I hope that all those injured are now fully recovered and regardless of the cumulative factors of the cause it is a salutary lesson to us all about our responsibility as hand loaders to ensure the quality and safety of our work.

"There but for the grace of god go I"

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
zanes

Krag-Jorgenson failure report

#4 Post by zanes »

Alerted to this on another forum:

http://www.nra.org.uk/common/asp/conten ... RA&id=1670

My very layman's take on it:

Interesting, although the redactions seem very heavy and rather unecessary in places.

Also interesting to note Accurate 2520 isn't listed by Western Powder for 6.5x55; although 34.4Gr of 2520 does look "about right" for their 6.5x47mm data.

Even more interesting to note, with the NRA's recent mumblings re home loading and their most likely cause being listed as an overload event that their actions are more concentrated around checking of KJ rifles.
Firearms related legal question? Look here before posting about it.
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: Krag-Jorgenson failure report

#5 Post by IainWR »

Which forum please?
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#6 Post by meles meles »

Thou shalt have no other forum but FBUK !

*Clap of thunder*
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#7 Post by IainWR »

There may be a genuine safety issue in disseminating this information. I'd just like to know where it's being promoted.

And I have spotted that there is another thread here on the same subject - mods?
zanes

#8 Post by zanes »

It's directly linked off the NRA's homepage- hardly a secret report that someone's hacked into the NRA for.
NRA wrote:Krag-Jorgensen Safety Update

The NRA recently completed, on behalf of MoD, an investigation into an accident involving a Krag-Jorgensen rifle. The technical investigation revealed matters that the NRA believes should be brought to the attention of all owners of Krag-Jorgensen rifles. In particular, there is published information that a substantial number of K-R rifles were rebarreled shortly after World War II, and that the standard of work may have been unsatisfactory in some cases.

Aspects of the technical investigation into the rifle involved in the accident tend to confirm that information. Please see the attached redacted version of the accident report including the full detail of the findings regarding the rifle itself.

The NRA requires all members owning Krag-Jorgenson rifles fitted with replacement barrels (other than those replacements carried out under the current owner?s instructions and bearing proof marks issued under CIP regulations or by one of the UK proof houses) to have the rifle checked by a competent gunsmith before it is used under the auspices of the NRA

Andrew Mercer
Secretary General
I'd say the only safety issue in disseminating this information is that it should be publicised as widely as possible- and it is strongly in the "public" interest to do so.
Firearms related legal question? Look here before posting about it.
Gaz
Home club or Range: Bisley (usually)

#9 Post by Gaz »

I have a blog post + commentary in mind on this, but it needs to wait for a clear evening where I've got my legal head on.
I write words for money - but not here. If you think my words here are written to the same standard as my words for money elsewhere, you're wrong. Have a nice day.

See also www.ukshootingnews.wordpress.com for my take on gun law and target shooting news.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#10 Post by dromia »

IainWR wrote:There may be a genuine safety issue in disseminating this information.
If I am reading you correctly Iain what is that safety issue in circulating the report and if so why was it disseminated in the first place?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/