The Sun issues a clarification

A section for news and announcements only.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
HeatherW762
Home club or Range: OSM, NRA Bisley

The Sun issues a clarification

#1 Post by HeatherW762 »

In an article published on the 24th January 2013, The Sun newspaper printed the following clarification.

IN a story 'Massacre guns on sale in UK' we stated that lethal assault rifles like the AR15 weapon used in America's Sandy Hook school massacre are being legally sold in Britain.

A Welsh-based firm describes the Ruger SR22 semi-automatic as a 'clone of the AR15'. We would like to clarify that these replica guns are scaled down versions of the originals, requiring .22 ammunition rather than the more powerful .223 calibre.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye (Miss Piggy)
Christel
Site Admin

Re: The Sun issues a clarification

#2 Post by Christel »

If you ask me the damage has been done, people will remember the sensational bit, not the clarification :bad:
Primer

#3 Post by Primer »

HeatherW762 wrote:In an article published on the 24th January 2013, The Sun newspaper printed the following clarification.

IN a story 'Massacre guns on sale in UK' we stated that lethal assault rifles like the AR15 weapon used in America's Sandy Hook school massacre are being legally sold in Britain.

A Welsh-based firm describes the Ruger SR22 semi-automatic as a 'clone of the AR15'. We would like to clarify that these replica guns are scaled down versions of the originals, requiring .22 ammunition rather than the more powerful .223 calibre.
So did they print the clarification on the front page as they did with the mis-information first time round, certainly not, i couldnt actually see it when i flicked through a copy in our canteen.
When people ask stupid questions, I feel obligated to give sarcastic answers
HeatherW762

#4 Post by HeatherW762 »

Apparently it was on page two, opposite the boobies!

Heather
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye (Miss Piggy)
Christel
Site Admin

#5 Post by Christel »

Primer, so you missed it because of the boobies... :roll: :lol:
Primer

#6 Post by Primer »

clapclap

Probably missed it as didn't expect it to be so close to the front, did it have any pictures or just the small comment as posted above?
When people ask stupid questions, I feel obligated to give sarcastic answers
HeatherW762

#7 Post by HeatherW762 »

Haven't seen the whole page but the snippet I was sent was just the wording as above.

Heather
sniper3
Home club or Range: London Telecom Shooting Club NRA and FCSA (UK)

#8 Post by sniper3 »

This is the reason why I stopped buying these papers since 1995. If all the shooters suddenly stopped buying papers I think they'll get the message! sign01
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#9 Post by FredB »

My father always had a newspaper delivered and bought another one at lunchtime at work. When I got married and bought our first house, I naturally had a newspaper delivered. About a year later, it occurred to me that there were only a limited number of subjects that I had any expertise in: these included the motor industry---especially big trucks--- and guns. Whenever there was anything published on these subjects, it was wrong---usually very wrong. I therefore had no reason to believe that any of the other information in the newspaper was correct. I cancelled the delivery and have not bought a newspaper since. That was in 1968: they still don't seem to have got the message. With all the recent scandal associated with the media, I would propose a simple change to the law: it should be illegal to publish anything in a newspaper or news radio/Tv programme that is not true. Fictional reporting, un-substantiated opinions and so on can be reported but must be clearly identified as such.
Fred
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#10 Post by Blackstuff »

Thats exactly why i stopped getting papers, and discouraging others to do the same following all the utter BS published after Dunblane :bad:
DVC