NRA Response to article in The Sun

A section for news and announcements only.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
ResearchPress
Home club or Range: Long Range Rifles Branch of the MLAGB

Re: NRA Response to article in The Sun

#21 Post by ResearchPress »

dromia wrote:
ResearchPress wrote:.... I thought that's the British Shooting Sports Council. David
David, do you know what their response to the sun article has been and also their response to the proposed Scottish airgun legislation? I've looked on the website and the latest info I could find was 2011.
The BSSC publish a Quarterly Report: I am expecting the Oct-Dec one shortly which will hopefully address the Scottish legislation. I publish the report in the MLAGBs 'Black Powder' magazine which I edit. Members are thus kept updated on issues and can see what the BSSC has been doing given that the MLAGB contributes to BSSC funds. I don't know what if any action is being taken with regards to the recent Sun report.

The BSSC have been giving regular updates on Scottish firearms issues. This was in the Jul-Sept report:
Firearms in Scotland:
A meeting of the Scottish Firearms Advisory Panel that had been scheduled for the 13th May took place on the 14th August, part of it with the Scottish Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill present. There was further discussion of licensing options, of possible provisions for visitors to Scotland wishing to possess or shoot air weapons and on consultation issues. It was again indicated that the intention is to go out to public consultation before the end of the year. No date has yet been set for legislation.

David
www.researchpress.co.uk - www.facebook.com/ResearchPress
Firearms, long range target shooting and associated history
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#22 Post by dromia »

Thank you for that David, so from that we can see that the licensing of air guns will become in Scotland all that the BSSC is discussing is the nature of that licensing and how it will work?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Site Supporter Since 2015

#23 Post by 1066 »

A good response from the NRA, however it won’t undo the damage caused by the article.
50,000 Sun readers would have read the front page article over breakfast, maybe 10,000 of those saw the article for what it as, a load of tosh, but what of the other 40,000. This will have led to further chatter on Mumsnet and the jam making circles, damage that can’t be undone.
A three line retraction on page seven of the Sun will not do one bit of good. There should certainly be a formal complaint to the press complaints body from the National shooting associations, there was hardly an element of truth in the article and it was published purely to sensationalise and deceive. The journalist responsible should personally be sued.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#24 Post by meles meles »

1066 wrote:The journalist responsible should personally be sued.

Can that be done? It would be a useful precedent, Byng style, pour encourager les autres...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"

#25 Post by 1066 »

meles meles wrote:
1066 wrote:The journalist responsible should personally be sued.

Can that be done? It would be a useful precedent, Byng style, pour encourager les autres...
I think it was more of a pipe dream on my part - However it would be good to see them toss one to the wolfs now and again. :)
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#26 Post by meles meles »

Wolves, ooman, wolves...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
ResearchPress
Home club or Range: Long Range Rifles Branch of the MLAGB

#27 Post by ResearchPress »

dromia wrote:Thank you for that David, so from that we can see that the licensing of air guns will become in Scotland all that the BSSC is discussing is the nature of that licensing and how it will work?
The extract from the BSSC report is all I know. Their report covering the period Oct-Dec 2012 will hopefully give an update on activities. I'll let you know when I get a copy.

David
www.researchpress.co.uk - www.facebook.com/ResearchPress
Firearms, long range target shooting and associated history

#28 Post by 1066 »

meles meles wrote:Wolves, ooman, wolves...
Sorry about that - too busy catching up on my Voltaire to re-read it.
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
Strangely Brown
Home club or Range: NRA

#29 Post by Strangely Brown »

1066 wrote:A good response from the NRA, however it won’t undo the damage caused by the article.
50,000 Sun readers would have read the front page article over breakfast, maybe 10,000 of those saw the article for what it as, a load of tosh, but what of the other 40,000. This will have led to further chatter on Mumsnet and the jam making circles, damage that can’t be undone.
A three line retraction on page seven of the Sun will not do one bit of good. There should certainly be a formal complaint to the press complaints body from the National shooting associations, there was hardly an element of truth in the article and it was published purely to sensationalise and deceive. The journalist responsible should personally be sued.

Lets not forget,...................... their still Sun readers, not the sharpest tools in the box!
Mick
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#30 Post by shugie »

Strangely Brown wrote:
1066 wrote:A good response from the NRA, however it won’t undo the damage caused by the article.

Lets not forget,...................... their still Sun readers, not the sharpest tools in the box!
Indeed. As Fletcher once commanded in Porridge "Bring me the Sun and something to read".
Careful now/that sort of thing