NRA Response to article in The Sun

A section for news and announcements only.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
Gaz
Home club or Range: Bisley (usually)

Re: NRA Response to article in The Sun

#11 Post by Gaz »

Meaty wrote:
Dave 101 wrote:Well done NRA . Perhaps you could take out national adverts in the newspapers concerned to rectify the balance of poor journalism by the Sun .

Dave
I was thinking exactly the same thing-and include a few facts about the GCN as well. How much would a half/ full page ad. in the nationals cost?
In the broadsheets you're looking at around £30,000-£40,000. I'm thinking with a circulation of ~3m the Sun will probably charge more than the Telegraph or the Guardian.
I write words for money - but not here. If you think my words here are written to the same standard as my words for money elsewhere, you're wrong. Have a nice day.

See also www.ukshootingnews.wordpress.com for my take on gun law and target shooting news.
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#12 Post by Mike357 »

Good job NRA, keep the pressure up for a response.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
bobbob
Site Supporter Since 2016

#13 Post by bobbob »

Gaz wrote:
Meaty wrote:
Dave 101 wrote:Well done NRA . Perhaps you could take out national adverts in the newspapers concerned to rectify the balance of poor journalism by the Sun .

Dave
I was thinking exactly the same thing-and include a few facts about the GCN as well. How much would a half/ full page ad. in the nationals cost?
In the broadsheets you're looking at around £30,000-£40,000. I'm thinking with a circulation of ~3m the Sun will probably charge more than the Telegraph or the Guardian.
How many members in the NRA? Would donations of £1-£5 each bring in enough to cover the cost?
Never say something in Cyberspace you can't say Face to Face!!

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the Full-Bore Forum.
ResearchPress
Home club or Range: Long Range Rifles Branch of the MLAGB

#14 Post by ResearchPress »

Meaty wrote: Its a shame that we dont have one national umbrella organisation with deep pockets to fight fire with truth .
.... I thought that's the British Shooting Sports Council. Many shooting organisations contribute to it.

David
www.researchpress.co.uk - www.facebook.com/ResearchPress
Firearms, long range target shooting and associated history
Mr_Logic

#15 Post by Mr_Logic »

Glad to see this. I said similar in my formal complaint. Not heard anything back though. Shame our NRA doesn't have the deep pockets of our American cousins.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#16 Post by dromia »

ResearchPress wrote:
Meaty wrote: Its a shame that we dont have one national umbrella organisation with deep pockets to fight fire with truth .
.... I thought that's the British Shooting Sports Council. Many shooting organisations contribute to it.

David
David, do you know what their response to the sun article has been and also their response to the proposed Scottish airgun legislation?

I've looked on the website and the latest info I could find was 2011.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
TJC
Home club or Range: Bisley

#17 Post by TJC »

I am very pleased to see a reply. My only concerns are that you assume a .223 was used in the US shooting and there is some argument on that. I don't think we are in a position to comment on the type of weapon used by your comparison example is necessary.

I would still like to see a formal complaint made to the Press Complaints Commission. It might seem a little strong handed but a robust defence of our interests is imperative.

Thank you.

BASC are you out there...where is your response ????
UKYankee
Home club or Range: WNSC

#18 Post by UKYankee »

Probably won't make any difference but I am writing and sending a letter to the British Shooting Sports Council as replying to this sort of nonsense is surely within their remit.

I have attached what I will be sending if you're interested in reading it, planning on doing the same with all of the other shooting organisations I can think of.
Attachments
The British Shooting Sports Council.docx
(13.27 KiB) Downloaded 91 times

TacSol AR-22
Ruger 10/22
S&W M&P 15-22
Beretta 1301 Comp
Rossi 44 Underlever
Dougan

#19 Post by Dougan »

It's great to see the UK NRA responding like this :goodjob:

Sorry to pick, but I'd personally prefer if the 'guns v knifes/cars argument' wasn't used...

...that said, it's clear that Mr Mercer is becoming well versed on all aspects of shooting, and is going to have the bottle to stand up for all shooters...

...I also like the 'advanced sarcasm' - the sentence "I know News International, as a responsible publisher, is determined to present articles honestly, accurately and fairly" is a classic clapclap
Strangely Brown
Home club or Range: NRA

#20 Post by Strangely Brown »

I think we have to assume Andrew Mercer required some help from seasoned NRA staff to draft such a good responce, coming as he does new to the job.

However, well done him and the rest of the NRA team who helped with the responce. :good:
Mick