No fireworks at Bisley this weekend

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
Dangermouse

No fireworks at Bisley this weekend

#1 Post by Dangermouse »

I have just noticed that there will be no fireworks at Bisley this weekend.
This is a great shame, my family and I have attended in previous years and have always said that it is one of the better displays.

I am surprised that it has been taken out of the calender, I would have thought that it was a profit making exercise and got people through the gate who may not normally have come our way,

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
The Cupcake Kid

Re: No fireworks at Bisley this weekend

#2 Post by The Cupcake Kid »

Dangermouse wrote:I have just noticed that there will be no fireworks at Bisley this weekend.
This is a great shame, my family and I have attended in previous years and have always said that it is one of the better displays.

I am surprised that it has been taken out of the calender, I would have thought that it was a profit making exercise and got people through the gate who may not normally have come our way,

DM
From what I heard, one of the problems was that a lot of the spectators didn't get in 'through the gate' so the number of tickets actually sold wasn't making a big enough profit. ;)
"Wherever Pie Man is, The Cupcake Kid will not be far behind"
karen

#3 Post by karen »

Er if anyone would like the truth the reason is because I no longer work there :cry:

I would organise the whole thing (advertising, selling tickets, entertainment, lighting, signs, media etc) with help on the day from the shooters themselves (especially Iain) with Barry from the Clay range doing the fireworks with his fireworks company Dragon Fireworks.

Unfortunately I could not do it without being an employee of the NRA as I dont have the facilities at home to produce A3 posters, email members, organise the volunteers and maintain the online ticket sales etc etc etc.

Noone else in the NRA could do it I'm afraid so it was cancelled.

If I could have done it I would :cry:

Love

karen
karen

#4 Post by karen »

Profitwise it used to make about £2K although last year we only made a small profit (possibly due to lack of advertising - my fault as I was in Australia at the World Champs till 4 days before but I did my best from there - or the fact it was a bit drizzly all week). We were going to go all out on advertising and pushing it this year but didn't get the chance.

The profits were shared between NRA, OTF, Young Shooters Fund and Dragon Fireworks (who always did the displays at cost price as it was their test event for their main displays for the rest of the firework season).

Love

Karen
Dangermouse

#5 Post by Dangermouse »

Karen,

This is sad news and something that as an NRA member I feel needs addressing. Surely the organisation is in no fit state to be turning away from ventures which in the past have raised a profit, all be it depending on the weather.

As a family man I will now be spending my money somewhere else this Saturday night,

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.