WHS ban

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
Christel
Site Admin

WHS ban

#1 Post by Christel »

NRA, BASC, anyone?

Just wondering if anything is being done about it? Anyone contacted WHS?
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: WHS ban

#2 Post by Sandgroper »

I posted this in your OP regarding WHS - http://www.basc.org.uk/en/media/pressre ... 195F4E08F6
BASC has condemned the decision by WHSmith to stop under 14-year-olds from buying shooting magazines.
The company says it has taken this decision in the erroneous belief that 14 is the legal age for "obtaining" a firearm. In fact, there are many age limits in firearms legislation and 14 is not one of them.

Those under 14-years-old can shoot if supervised by an adult. This occurs across the country with parents and guardians, in shooting clubs, the Cadet corps and the Scout movement.

BASC has asked WHSmith to withdraw the policy and is awaiting a response. Should WHSmith refuse, BASC will campaign against the policy.

BASC's director of communications, Christopher Graffius, said: "It is extraordinary that in WHSmith you can buy a car magazine at any age despite the age limit of 17 for driving. You can also buy numerous war magazines which depict the killing of people yet WHSmith is concerned about children buying shooting magazines, a legal and an Olympic sport.

"It is ironic that at the recent three party conferences, front bench spokesmen and Government ministers from all major parties sang the praises of shooting sports for the sense of responsibility and discipline that they encourage in the children who take them up; yet WHSmith is trying to keep the magazines that encourage that approach out of children's hands. They are also causing enormous offence to adult shooters who are stopped at auto-scan tills."
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Christel
Site Admin

#3 Post by Christel »

Thanks SG :P
karen

#4 Post by karen »

christel wrote:NRA, BASC, anyone?

Just wondering if anything is being done about it? Anyone contacted WHS?
Coo give them a chance - NRA only start at 8.30!

I know Iain will bring this up today but he is in a meeting at 10 so not sure when!

Love

Karen
Primer

#5 Post by Primer »

I emailed whs and got the following generic reply.
Dear Customer

Thank you for your email.

WHSmith aims to offer our customers choice, whilst striking the right balance and not acting as a censor. WHSmith seeks to do its best to satisfy all of its customers who often have strongly opposing views. We aim to display all of our magazines in locations where they are accessible to those who want to buy them, but do not offend those who do not. The till prompt system has been in place for many years on a range of different products and this has not previously been an issue for customers.

The information contained within this e-mail is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended for the addressee only. If you have received the e-mail in error, please inform the sender or contact the WHSmith IT Security Manager, on +44 (0) 1793 562175, and delete it from your system. The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed to anyone else or copied without the sender's consent.

Any views and opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of WHSmith. WHSmith does not take any responsibility for the views of the author. No WHSmith employees are authorised to conclude contracts on behalf of WHSmith by means of e-mail communications. Please note that neither WHSmith nor the sender accepts any responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan the e-mail and attachments (if any). WHSmith may monitor any communication entering or leaving its systems for any authorised business purpose.

WHSmith is the trading style of two separate companies: WHSmith High Street Limited (Registered Number 6560339) and WHSmith Travel Limited (Registered Number 6560378) both of which are registered in England and Wales and sharing a Registered Office at Greenbridge Road, Swindon, Wiltshire, SN3 3RX and VAT Registration Number GB238 5548 36.
When people ask stupid questions, I feel obligated to give sarcastic answers
Gaz
Home club or Range: Bisley (usually)

#6 Post by Gaz »

Ah, you actually got a reply from them. I didn't.
I write words for money - but not here. If you think my words here are written to the same standard as my words for money elsewhere, you're wrong. Have a nice day.

See also www.ukshootingnews.wordpress.com for my take on gun law and target shooting news.
Primer

#7 Post by Primer »

Gaz wrote:Ah, you actually got a reply from them. I didn't.
I must have yours then as I got 2
When people ask stupid questions, I feel obligated to give sarcastic answers