BASC Action Alert August 2012

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

BASC Action Alert August 2012

#1 Post by Sandgroper »

Received this e-mail from BASC this morning. It might be of interest to some.
Help to simplify firearms licensing.

The Home Office is proposing new licensing forms and by clicking here you can see the first two pages of alternative designs. BASC is working with the Home Office and your views are important in determining which form is adopted.

Please let us know which of the two you would find easier to use - it may help if you print them out and try to complete them before deciding.

Note that these are NOT the final forms - they are only drafts of the "personal details" part of the proposed new forms, and MUST NOT be used to apply for a firearm or shotgun certificate.

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/departments/f ... ensing.cfm

Royal Mail gun ban proposals – have your say

Royal Mail has launched a UK-wide public consultation on plans to ban the transportation of guns and their component parts. Royal Mail has stated that it expects the impact of these proposals on customers to be minimal. BASC disagrees. What do you think? BASC will fight the proposals and urges the gun trade and all shooters to respond to the consultation by 10am on 17th September.

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/media/key_iss ... 7EF4E1528F
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Blackstuff

Re: BASC Action Alert August 2012

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

I'm not sure why i appear to be the only one with their knickers in a knot over thew Royal Mail ban on ALL firearms related items?? I for one don't want to have to go through an RFD everytime i want to buy, or sell for that matter, the smallest of firearm related item!! kukkuk

PLEASE make sure you put your response in!! sign85
DVC
Geordie bloke

#3 Post by Geordie bloke »

So does this mean that if I anneal some inert rifle cases for someone I will not be able to use the usual next day special delivery at my local post office to send them back?
Stupidity beyond belief! However I wait with interest to see if this load of rubbish by the Post office gets knocked on the head! Go get 'em BASC!!!!
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#4 Post by kennyc »

my reply sent today, eloquence is not my strong suit, but you have to try.

"I see you have a consultation process in progress, I am at a loss to understand your rational, if you have an insecure system then it behoves you to overhaul that system not just cover up its inadequacies ? if you decide to ban transportation of components such as triggers, presumably telescopic sights etc, how exactly do you intend to detect these components? if you can detect them then you can look after them with your current system! so where exactly is the problem? any ban will have a tremendous knock on effect on law abiding business’s and individuals. you are a carrier in a privileged position, please spend your time, money and energy improving your service, not looking for ways to reduce it."
Chapuis

#5 Post by Chapuis »

Geordie bloke wrote:So does this mean that if I anneal some inert rifle cases for someone I will not be able to use the usual next day special delivery at my local post office to send them back?
Stupidity beyond belief! However I wait with interest to see if this load of rubbish by the Post office gets knocked on the head! Go get 'em BASC!!!!
Geordie bloke I don't think it's right to just rely upon the likes of BASC to fight your corner, I think we all need to make our concerns known. Many of us made a great mistake many years ago when our pistols were stolen off us. We listened to the NRA when they said "leave all the replies to us" and permitted them to speak out on our behalf instead of overwhelming the enquiry with our own personal responses.
Let them know that we will consider shooters as being discriminated against. For instance why should a golfer be able to buy golf balls and tees by post yet we wouldn't be able to buy equally inert objects such as cast bullets and scope mounts by post., after all pressure bearing parts are already prevented from being posted by other legislation such as the firearms acts.
Geordie bloke

#6 Post by Geordie bloke »

Chapuis wrote:
Geordie bloke wrote:So does this mean that if I anneal some inert rifle cases for someone I will not be able to use the usual next day special delivery at my local post office to send them back?
Geordie bloke I don't think it's right to just rely upon the likes of BASC to fight your corner, I think we all need to make our concerns known. Many of us made a great mistake many years ago when our pistols were stolen off us. We listened to the NRA when they said "leave all the replies to us" and permitted them to speak out on our behalf instead of overwhelming the enquiry with our own personal responses.
Let them know that we will consider shooters as being discriminated against. For instance why should a golfer be able to buy golf balls and tees by post yet we wouldn't be able to buy equally inert objects such as cast bullets and scope mounts by post., after all pressure bearing parts are already prevented from being posted by other legislation such as the firearms acts.
Chapuis. Many thanks for your comments and good on you for responding to the post office as you did. I can assure you that I was not just going to rest on my laurels and let the BASC 'fight my corner' but intend to reply as you did and give them my twopennorth.
Good shooting
Gaz
Home club or Range: Bisley (usually)

#7 Post by Gaz »

Having read the Royal Mail consultation document (see here: http://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/ ... rvices.pdf), I actually agree with their reasoning behind prohibiting the carriage of actual firearms, barrels and actions. In short, they can't guarantee they won't lose them. There's nothing in there about prohibiting parts you've bought off Ebay or ordered through the post as normal.

Parcelforce and the other bits of Royal Mail that carry firearms/licensed components will continue to do so, according to the document. The only problem I can see is this sensible proposal being translated into "firearms or anything associated with them" - so prohibiting things like trigger mechs and stocks from going through the post.

Will write and give them my thoughts on that.

edit - ignore the above, they ARE trying to ban small parts!
viii. add a new section in the list of prohibited goods (section 11) of the OLPS which would read “firearms (including those listed in Section 1, Section 2 and Section 5 of the Firearms Act 1968 (as amended)), low-powered air rifles and pistols and all component parts such as triggers, actions, barrels and magazines”
I write words for money - but not here. If you think my words here are written to the same standard as my words for money elsewhere, you're wrong. Have a nice day.

See also www.ukshootingnews.wordpress.com for my take on gun law and target shooting news.
Sandgroper

#8 Post by Sandgroper »

Blackstuff wrote:I'm not sure why i appear to be the only one with their knickers in a knot over thew Royal Mail ban on ALL firearms related items?? I for one don't want to have to go through an RFD everytime i want to buy, or sell for that matter, the smallest of firearm related item!! kukkuk

PLEASE make sure you put your response in!! sign85
Don't worry, I intend too! ****
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.