The worst butt marking...ever.

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

Re: The worst butt marking...ever.

#31 Post by shugie »

Mike357 wrote:Saw a lot of yoofs on Scooters waiting to get down to the butts on Stickledown on Sun afternoon.

What kind of training do they get?
I don't know, but the marking was pretty inconsistent. Mid-morning it was all over the place, hard to know what to make of it, seems like they missed a shot, then didn't know which hole to patch and mark for the later shots. Just before lunch though was a different story, the world's fastest marker go to work, he patched and marked before I reloaded.
Careful now/that sort of thing
Dougan

#32 Post by Dougan »

Thinking further (while mowing the lawn) on the target balancing idea - Lengths of plastic pipe (like drain-pipe) of an appropriate diameter could be cut to the correct length, blanked at the ends, and then slotted in the frames where the usual blocks go; large cable-ties would be enough to hold them - Then simply put an opening at one end for filling, and a plug at the other end for draining...?

1066 - you're a designer...I'm sure you could come up with something, and, as Alex says, put the suggestion to the NRA...
Dougan

#33 Post by Dougan »

Hauptman wrote:A bit easier if the shots are all through the V, though....
One pair of shooters were doing really well - the previous shot had been marked about as close to the center of the V-bull as you can get...then with the next shot the target went down, but then came straight back up relatively quickly and marked the same...we called down, and asked if he'd marked it; to which he replied that the shot had gone in right next to the previous one, so he was going to patch them both next time...I apologised, and explained that we were not used to shooting so accurately...to which he offered a polite, but obviously only polite laugh :oops: :lol:
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#34 Post by meles meles »

Oh no, ooman ! You can't use water !!!!

*Reads from the Elf Safety manual"

Dangers of Water

1. Water is made from oxygen and hydrogen. These are explosive gases - remember the HIndenberg ! On no account use water for anything.
2. People can drown in half an inch of water. Any more than a quarter of an inch of water should be taped off and surrounded by cones.
3. Water is home to bacteria such as legionella and so must be heavily chlorinated to prevent infection.
4. Water comes in two varieties: heavy and light. On no account must heavy water be handled manually. A forklift must be used.
5. Light water requires the use of eye protection to prevent arc eye.
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
The Gun Pimp

#35 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Marking a target in butts for a shooter you don't even know for a sport you have no interest in must be one of the most boring, un-rewarding jobs ever. Give the job to a bored teenager and you have a recipe for a f***-up.

Do you think they care one jot about your shoot? Do you think they care if your 'line-cutter' is in - or out? Why should they?

Most of us put too much time, money and effort into our sport to place it in the hands of a disinterested teenager. Give me competitor marking any day. Why do shooters put up with it?
Dougan

#36 Post by Dougan »

The Gun Pimp wrote:Marking a target in butts for a shooter you don't even know for a sport you have no interest in must be one of the most boring, un-rewarding jobs ever. Give the job to a bored teenager and you have a recipe for a f***-up.

Do you think they care one jot about your shoot? Do you think they care if your 'line-cutter' is in - or out? Why should they?
That goes for a lot of jobs, but it's unfair to tar everyone with the same brush...I really do think that the lad we had was doing his best, though you could hear how fed up he was at times over the radio...

...I'm sure the markers would get better if the targets and general conditions for them were improved - As H/man said, they need to be made part of the team and shown some respect.

I think more tipping would be a good idea...an extra tenner is appreciated by most bored teenagers...but they need to actually be able to do their job properly in order to earn tips...
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#37 Post by meles meles »

If the rules and practicalities allow it, might it help to let the marker have a shot or two themselves? If they are just kids scraped up off the street they may never have shot before and have no idea of

a. How much fun shooting is.
b. How important their role is.

You might end up with better marking and a new recruit to the sport.
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Dougan

#38 Post by Dougan »

I remember working in a posh silver service restaurant as a teenager - we were encouraged to try all the food to 'help our appreciation'...but it was still hard not to resent some of the dickheads we had to serve...

...giving the markers a shoot now and again (a one-off would be no good) is a good idea, and should be explored; but it could work out cheaper just to improve the targets and/or pay them a bit more...
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#39 Post by hitchphil »

Our Astor shoot was messed up by inexperienced marking, target pulled 10 times on aim & twice on firing. One of our less experienced shooters arm gave out waiting & she lost the last 3 shots & our last shooter got 6 scoring off before the hooter because of the lost time. We were livid. Being a new club we are 50% novice /inexperienced but growing so to come last by a few points is ok as it shows a little improvement = good club rankings, but to have +20 added to that by the marking puts them off coming back to try a gain. Complained to RO = No reply. Will develop our own markers & found a good one too who we will hire directly = NRA’s loss as they wont see these good markers for the Imperial. ……….. World class facility with 3nd rate marking really lets the operation down undermining all the good works that are happening.

Markers are coming down from Cheshire on a £5 bus, camping over & marking 3 days - they are good! motivated happy to earn & do their best. Poss time the NRA went further afield to got markers form less affluent area that appreciate the opportunity to earn, work & enjoy them selves in an evening. We will try to hire these guys & get them a shoot too (if S21 legit).

A tips bucket & message 4 / pulled sheet might work? if the RCO could organise it? But what would work is more radios too as good comms lets you stand your marker down when changing shooters - buys good will. But really more effective & on the job supervision is key.

TNHR
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Gaz
Home club or Range: Bisley (usually)

#40 Post by Gaz »

Shooting on Saturday at Sticks (now say that ten times after a couple of pints) with the county was a very interesting experience. We had two targets and loads of message 4s. We realised that whenever one target went down, the other one stopped altogether, giving rise to another message 4. Clearly we were a marker short.

At the end of the shoot I did radio down and ask how many markers were working our two targets. The marker on the other end of the radio, whose voice hadn't changed throughout the 5 hours, assured us that there was one per target. I'm not convinced and neither was the rest of the county team.

There's only so much shooters will put up with before they start contacting the good markers directly and hiring them privately, depriving the NRA not only of revenue from their cut of the marker's fee but also the quality markers.

Some form of feedback mechanism with a clear outcome needs to be established. At the moment complaints to the range office or the butts supervisor aren't seen to be having any effect.
I write words for money - but not here. If you think my words here are written to the same standard as my words for money elsewhere, you're wrong. Have a nice day.

See also www.ukshootingnews.wordpress.com for my take on gun law and target shooting news.