Why no political wing at the NRA

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Why no political wing at the NRA

#11 Post by Blackstuff »

ovenpaa wrote:
I am still unsure as to what the BSSC actually does, I have looked at the site on many occasions however it is seldom if ever updated, some of the links are out of date and I am yet to see something tangible come out of it.
+1 :cool2:
DVC
rox

#12 Post by rox »

ovenpaa wrote:
I am still unsure as to what the BSSC actually does, I have looked at the site on many occasions however it is seldom if ever updated, some of the links are out of date and I am yet to see something tangible come out of it.
Last time we talked about the content of their reports it seemed positive, but the lack of updates, site maintenance and general visibility is not encouraging. I wonder what they would look like if they were well promoted and took subscriptions directly from shooters at an affordable level that could appeal to all shooters, like GOA and other lobby orgs across the pond?

kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#13 Post by kennyc »

re-inventing the wheel? BASC its here now, funded and up and running
rox

#14 Post by rox »

kennyc wrote:re-inventing the wheel? BASC its here now, funded and up and running
We're talking about a low-cost discipline-independant political/lobbying org without the bagage of insurance packages, Conservation and Gamekeepers teams etc etc. BASC hardly fits that description.

Dougan

#15 Post by Dougan »

rox wrote:
Dougan wrote:...maybe, a seperate body/organisation to handle politics and PR, that associations can sign up to, to represent the common ground of all associations?
i.e. The British Shooting Sports Council

I hadn't actually seen their site ( :oops: ) - I will read it for myself, but from the posts so far, I get the idea.

That is the sort of thing I had in mind though - maybe we should seek some interaction with them?....but for heavens sake, don't be too rude...remember what's happened with our northern rep!

The BASC is an example of the problem that different people want different things - I don't agree with all types of hunting and gamekeeping, and don't see hunting as a sport...so personally I would join them...
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#16 Post by kennyc »

rox wrote:
kennyc wrote:re-inventing the wheel? BASC its here now, funded and up and running
We're talking about a low-cost discipline-independant political/lobbying org without the bagage of insurance packages, Conservation and Gamekeepers teams etc etc. BASC hardly fits that description.

sorry thought you wanted something that works .............
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

#17 Post by M99 »

kennyc wrote:
rox wrote:

And they only have over 130k members as opposed to the NRA's 6k ish!!

Mike
rox

#18 Post by rox »

kennyc wrote:
rox wrote:

Well it doesn't work at all for a number of us on here for whom it makes no sense to join them (mostly paper punchers). But it would make a lot of sense to support something more along the lines of GOA, and that would be the case for anyone who shoots anything.

Blackstuff

#19 Post by Blackstuff »

rox wrote:
Well it doesn't work at all for a number of us on here for whom it makes no sense to join them (mostly paper punchers). But it would make a lot of sense to support something more along the lines of GOA, and that would be the case for anyone who shoots anything.

+1 BASC is not, i repeat NOT only interested in game shooting and deer stalking. They are happy to help with any kind of shooting related query from its members, and as far as i could find at the time, the ONLY association (aside from UKPSA) that would give me any advice on Practical Shotgun when i started. And on that note their insurance policy also covers PSG and all other target shooting disciplines. clapclap

BASC is the biggest organisation and therefore has the most politican clout. Until all of the discipline orientated organisations swallow a bit of pride and merge into one organisation imo they are the best we have. :good:
DVC
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#20 Post by dodgyrog »

Blackstuff wrote:
rox wrote:

+1 BASC is not, i repeat NOT only interested in game shooting and deer stalking. They are happy to help with any kind of shooting related query from its members, and as far as i could find at the time, the ONLY association (aside from UKPSA) that would give me any advice on Practical Shotgun when i started. And on that note their insurance policy also covers PSG and all other target shooting disciplines. clapclap

BASC is the biggest organisation and therefore has the most politican clout. Until all of the discipline orientated organisations swallow a bit of pride and merge into one organisation imo they are the best we have. :good:
+1 on that which is why I am a member
Their professionalism makes the NRA look amateurish.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.