NRA membership - how difficult!!

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
rox

Re: NRA membership - how difficult!!

#21 Post by rox »

christel wrote:It is very important that potential new members are made aware of that if they wish to join the NRA they do not need a SCC.
Perhaps I've missed something, but I don't see anywhere that anyone has stated that you need to have an SCC to join the NRA. It is a pretty preposterous notion in the first place. Someone has, on *claiming* to have an SCC while joining the NRA, been asked to send a copy. Not an unreasonable request on the transition from an affiliated member to a full individual member. That transition entails the individual having been authorised by an outside organisation to shoot under the auspices and responsibility of that organisation, to now being able to 'fly solo' at a major range complex under the auspices of the NRA. Is it not entirely appropriate that the NRA should verify that claim, just as it should verify any fast-track route to full membership that bypasses probation?

M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

#22 Post by M99 »

rox wrote:
christel wrote:It is very important that potential new members are made aware of that if they wish to join the NRA they do not need a SCC.
Perhaps I've missed something, but I don't see anywhere that anyone has stated that you need to have an SCC to join the NRA. It is a pretty preposterous notion in the first place. Someone has, on *claiming* to have an SCC while joining the NRA, been asked to send a copy. Not an unreasonable request on the transition from an affiliated member to a full individual member. That transition entails the individual having been authorised by an outside organisation to shoot under the auspices and responsibility of that organisation, to now being able to 'fly solo' at a major range complex under the auspices of the NRA. Is it not entirely appropriate that the NRA should verify that claim, just as it should verify any fast-track route to full membership that bypasses probation?

Rox

Maybe try reading the thread AND the NRA's own forms. It is neither a requirement of membership NOR asked for on the forms, but was used as an excuse for not having dealt with a membership application. Now the application form contained as required for option 2 - the contact details of the club chairman for verification purposes.

Condition 1 had been already met, so 2 was EXTRA info and not required, also as has been stated, you don't have to want to shoot at Bisley to be a member - the SCC is NOT a requirement of membership.
Christel
Site Admin

#23 Post by Christel »

rox wrote:

You have not missed anything, no one has stated that a member-to-be needs a SCC. Part of why I posted what I did lies with Miliscer's reply and the other part lies with that I want to make it absolutely clear for anyone new to joining. Being a member of the NRA and shooting there are two different things. When one goes to book a target a SCC should be asked for. Not when you join. As far as I have understood it.
John25

#24 Post by John25 »

What does surprise me ( or maybe it doesn't) is that the NRA who issue SCC to clubs en bloc, don't ask for, and keep a record of, the recipients.

Individual club officials should be able to provide that information quite easily.

Oh well, sun is going below the yardarm, definately time for up spirits.

stgeo

In a few minutes the whole world can go..........

:squirrel: :o :lol:
Gun rhymes with fun.

We are constrained only by the rules of safety and our own imagination.

John

http://www.bisleyshootingservices.co.uk
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#25 Post by Mike357 »

John25 wrote:
Mike357 wrote:In this world of social media and electronic communication with the masses, do the NRA, who are struggling for members, not see that there are very quick gains to be made from very small changes to procedures.

The above experience doesn't make me want to join anymore than before!

Mike,

Forgive me if I'm teaching granny, this has been discussed before.

The NRA is not making a profit from the cards (or it wasn't when I was on the inside) merely charging for the extra staff time.

The MOD insist that we have cards on their ranges, the MOD insists that the NRA runs it.

Our sport, all of it was in jeopardy, the original MV maximum which MOD wanted to impose would have affected calibres down to .243. .303/308 and the like would have been excluded.

Were it not for the hard work by some members of NRA and, in particular, Colonel Billy Bowles who was tasked by the MOD to implement some draconian restrictions and who adopted a very sensible and balanced approach, we would all be shooting small bore.

Like the NRA or not, you are already benefiting from it's work. Like the NRA or not, it is increasingly being seen as the governing body for fullbore target shooting. If it fails ar falls you won't be able to give your guns away.

:cheers:
I have no issue with the cards, it's the hassle that has been experienced in trying to join that is of concern.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
John25

#26 Post by John25 »

For what it's worth, you have my sympathy, it should not be difficult, checks aside and stuff.
Gun rhymes with fun.

We are constrained only by the rules of safety and our own imagination.

John

http://www.bisleyshootingservices.co.uk
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#27 Post by dromia »

karen wrote:
Dromia - of course WE WANT MORE MEMBERS!!!!!! :clap:

love

Karen

Karen I am sure that your bit of the NRA does.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Nick

#28 Post by Nick »

Mike it was me you spoke to.

To join you have to be ‘range safe’, I have to have a paper trail which shows you as a HOA club member.

From our application form:

The Applicant must hold a current Firearms Certificate showing authority to shoot on approved ranges as an HOA club member (valid for at least three months from the date of application). The original certificate should be supplied (though 2 photocopies will be acceptable - all 4 pages please), it will be returned to the holder by recorded delivery by return or as soon as possible. Your HOA club must appear on your FAC. If your FAC is only for vermin control and/or stalking you may have to attend a membership assessment.
or
Note 3: The enclosed form must be completed by your HOA club secretary confirming full membership of that club, that the member is of good standing within the club and detailing any shooting related incidents that could give cause for concern. The applicant may not be related to the club secretary. If they are then another club officer may complete the form.

Now, your FAC hasn’t got your club on it as a condition of issue. As a courtesy to you I accepted an emailed scan of your SCC as proof of club membership, this is not something I usually do.

We are currently snowed under with new applications hence the delay. You are right when you say we have around 6.500 members, however these are individual members, I also mentioned to you that we also have approx 750 clubs affiliated to us whose membership totals around 50,000.

Nick
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#29 Post by shugie »

Nick wrote:Mike it was me you spoke to.

To join you have to be ‘range safe’, I have to have a paper trail which shows you as a HOA club member.

From our application form:

The Applicant must hold a current Firearms Certificate showing authority to shoot on approved ranges as an HOA club member (valid for at least three months from the date of application). The original certificate should be supplied (though 2 photocopies will be acceptable - all 4 pages please), it will be returned to the holder by recorded delivery by return or as soon as possible. Your HOA club must appear on your FAC. If your FAC is only for vermin control and/or stalking you may have to attend a membership assessment.
or
Note 3: The enclosed form must be completed by your HOA club secretary confirming full membership of that club, that the member is of good standing within the club and detailing any shooting related incidents that could give cause for concern. The applicant may not be related to the club secretary. If they are then another club officer may complete the form.

Now, your FAC hasn’t got your club on it as a condition of issue. As a courtesy to you I accepted an emailed scan of your SCC as proof of club membership, this is not something I usually do.

We are currently snowed under with new applications hence the delay. You are right when you say we have around 6.500 members, however these are individual members, I also mentioned to you that we also have approx 750 clubs affiliated to us whose membership totals around 50,000.

Nick
I'm a member of an affiliated club, but have also applied for NRA membership recently, although my cheque has yet to be cashed, so I guess I'm part of the snowfall at present. But if I do become a member, I would be one of the 6,500 and the 50,000, and there are perhaps others in the same position. And some folk may even be members of more than one affiliated club.

Hopefully my application will be sorted soon, then I can make more use of the Bisley ranges than the once every three weeks my club does, it's all too easy to be busy on one weekend and have long gaps between shooting practice.
Careful now/that sort of thing
HeatherW762
Home club or Range: OSM, NRA Bisley

#30 Post by HeatherW762 »

I will have two weeks worth of payment processing when I get back sign85 so yours may well be in that lot. pm me with your full name & I'll check.

Heather
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye (Miss Piggy)