NRA membership - how difficult!!

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

NRA membership - how difficult!!

#1 Post by M99 »

Right after much debate, I bit the bullet so to speak and sent off the NRA forms to become an individual member - 4 weeks later, nothing (I had been told by Heather, expect a 2 week or so turnaround)

So I sent off an E-mail and duly got a reply with another form to be completed as my FAC doesn't name my club.

Okay, initially I thought, not a problem, I'll get the form filled in and send it back - but then I thought, hang on, conditions of membership - I met option 1 and 2 (And supplied FULL details of my club) - so why did they need the extra form.

Sent an e-mail throwing my teddies out of the cot and pointing out I met conditions 1 AND 2 so why did they need the extra form?

Apparently to prove I had a SCC - otherwise I could not join as SPORTING SHOOTERS DID NOT UNDERSTAND about target shooting - I promptly told the NRA what to do with my application - 30 seconds later phone goes !!

After a heated debate in which I was told the NRA has over 150,000 members!! - I corrected it to less than 6k!! (They were counting affiliated club members!) - my membership was processed, I gave a little by sending a copy of my SCC - but as I pointed out it was not a requirement of membership - only a requirement to use the Range Facilities at Bisley.

Still totally despondent at the NRA - is it any wonder they struggle for members?

Mike
John25

Re: NRA membership - how difficult!!

#2 Post by John25 »

Mike,

Welcome to the NRA.

I can see why you are frustrated.

You can shoot with the fungunners now. :shakeshout:

As an aside, I have always been a target shooter but no-one from BSRC has ever told me I don't understand their sport!

Just a gentle correction, sent with a handshake. Shooters Certificate for all MOD controlled, or partially controlled (Bisley) ranges.

And, as has been said before, perhaps not so bluntly, the NRA thinks they are a load of .. Too!

See you on the range I hope?
Gun rhymes with fun.

We are constrained only by the rules of safety and our own imagination.

John

http://www.bisleyshootingservices.co.uk
toffe wrapper

#3 Post by toffe wrapper »

Mike

It took about 6 weeks to process mine (which is what I was told), I included printed scans of my, FAC, SCC and club membership card. They had to call me to check bank details due to my poor writing but other than that no problem.

And as John said you can shoot with the fun gunners

TW
M99

#4 Post by M99 »

Hi John

I know/Knew the criteria for the SCC as I have one ;) but I am just pointing out the incorrect facts I was rebuffed with.

When I pointed out I could still join the NRA without being a member of another club as it says so in THEIR guidelines - I was dealt to another load of waffle - hence me sending a copy of my SCC just to make life easier!!

Apparently without the SCC I could not prove I was safe - fair comment and no argument there - but when I pointed out that without one I would ("should") not be able to book a target or shoot at Bisley anyway - I was again met with another load of excuses.

If they needed confirmation of club membership, in addition to the supplied coppies of my FAC - the club Chairman's phone number and E-mail was on the form.

Mike
John25

#5 Post by John25 »

Mike,

I thought that was the case, no slight intended :good:

I have to correct my previous post, when I worked for the NRA, as the Senior Ranges Supervisor, my opinion, shared by some others was that SCC were an unnecessary imposition by the military.

This may not of course, be the official NRA position now.

:cheers:
Gun rhymes with fun.

John

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#6 Post by Alpha1 »

When I pointed out I could still join the NRA without being a member of another club as it says so in THEIR guidelines - I was dealt to another load of waffle - hence me sending a copy of my SCC just to make life easier!!
What does SCC mean.
M99

#7 Post by M99 »

Alpha1 wrote:
What does SCC mean.
Sorry "Shooter Certification Card"

Mike
John25

#8 Post by John25 »

Smart Confident Chap

;)

Oops - or Chapess!
Gun rhymes with fun.

John

karen

#9 Post by karen »

Who did you speak to as it sounds like a problem?

John25 is correct (and I don't get to say that very often :lol: ) SCC are a requirement from the MoD - not some bureaucratic nonsense from the NRA

Love

Karen (with her Membership Committee hat on)

PS Some of you may be aware that my employment services are no longer required by the NRA but I am still on General Council, Membership Committee and Young Shooters Fund.
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#10 Post by Mike357 »

In this world of social media and electronic communication with the masses, do the NRA, who are struggling for members, not see that there are very quick gains to be made from very small changes to procedures.

The above experience doesn't make me want to join anymore than before!
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!