What would a UK national shooting body look like.

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: What would a UK national shooting body look like.

#41 Post by Ovenpaa »

So is it worth contacting the eZines and Journals and the likes and getting something published to see if the support exists for such a National body? This is not a replacement for anyone, just a functional top level shooting body that ties everyone together.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
BestDrugDoc
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Felton and District Rifle Club

#42 Post by BestDrugDoc »

A few more thoughts then about the "Firearms and Shotgun Certificate Holders Association " or FASCHA - or something similar.

Perhaps it should be mainly web based to save costs.
People could register as members (with a cert) or associates (looking at getting a cert).
We could ask all RFDs to hand out web info when they sell a gun and if really we were really lucky, the FLDs could include info when they send certs out. These raise a lot of potential difficulties, but are worth thinking about.
The web site could contain links to all the other shooting organisations with pointers as to which one does what. There could be a forum for hot topics that affect us all and the database of email addresses could be used to instantly canvas opinion on issues so a concerted and well informed can be given to government/press etc.
Cost for members needs to be really low or non existant preferably.
Perhaps the other shooting organisations could help to fund it by donating "for the greater good" as it could encourage more people to join them etc.
Clearly there would need to be a little team running it and someone who is happy and able to be a spokesman (or woman of course!)
Data protection etc are all issues, esp if we ask people to supply their cert number - can we do that?

What do you reckon?
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#43 Post by dromia »

Thats a how it could be done.

But what actually would it do, what would be its remit, what would try and achieve, what would its goals be?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
FredB
Home club or Range: stourport

#44 Post by FredB »

The powers that be would love to have a single association to put pressure on. What would you rather do, clear a wood or cut down a single tree! Strengthen the existing organisations.
Fred
BestDrugDoc
Home club or Range: Felton and District Rifle Club

#45 Post by BestDrugDoc »

All the right questions from Dromia.

Some initial thoughts:
The remit would be to represent and inform people who have FACs/SGCs and those wishing to get one.
This would involve consulting and informing members on high level issues especially around licensing, as well as press coverage, parliamentary activity on shooting, court cases etc.
Then representing our collected view (if possible!) To politicians, police, press, lobbying bodies etc
We woukd seek to draw all shooting organisations in to participate both through their individual members - who would also become ours - and their high level representatives.
The association and website would become a focus for the whole shooting community and hopefully unite in a non competitive or threatening way as it draws on the strengths and resources of each organisation.

How does that sound for starters?
Gaz
Home club or Range: Bisley (usually)

#46 Post by Gaz »

An FAC/SGC holders' association would be a rather good idea methinx. Neatly sidesteps all the infighting and politicking that sank BSSC and whatever the other one was called, while uniting everyone on common ground.
BestDrugDoc wrote:Cost for members needs to be really low or non existant preferably.
Therein lies the problem - to do anything except send strongly-worded emails, you need money. And there ain't a lot of that floating around the shooting world.
I write words for money - but not here. If you think my words here are written to the same standard as my words for money elsewhere, you're wrong. Have a nice day.

See also www.ukshootingnews.wordpress.com for my take on gun law and target shooting news.
Sandgroper

#47 Post by Sandgroper »

FredB wrote:The powers that be would love to have a single association to put pressure on. What would you rather do, clear a wood or cut down a single tree! Strengthen the existing organisations.
Fred
What about, "United we stand, divided we fall"?
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Sandgroper

#48 Post by Sandgroper »

BestDrugDoc wrote:All the right questions from Dromia.

Some initial thoughts:
The remit would be to represent and inform people who have FACs/SGCs and those wishing to get one.
This would involve consulting and informing members on high level issues especially around licensing, as well as press coverage, parliamentary activity on shooting, court cases etc.
Then representing our collected view (if possible!) To politicians, police, press, lobbying bodies etc
We woukd seek to draw all shooting organisations in to participate both through their individual members - who would also become ours - and their high level representatives.
The association and website would become a focus for the whole shooting community and hopefully unite in a non competitive or threatening way as it draws on the strengths and resources of each organisation.

How does that sound for starters?
Caught, a little on the hop with this today - ( **** course!) :lol:

BDD,
That is similar to my thoughts on how this could look. I also like the idea of it being internet based to keep costs down and as a way of informing members. My initial thoughts regarding the internet were forum based - similar the Shooting organisations section here. Members could then have direct access to those in nominated positions and ask them questions.

The other thing, I was thinking about, is a "Fighting Fund" to help members, shooting education, putting shooting a positive light, lobbying etc.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#49 Post by kennyc »

Gaz wrote:An FAC/SGC holders' association would be a rather good idea methinx. Neatly sidesteps all the infighting and politicking that sank BSSC and whatever the other one was called, while uniting everyone on common ground.
BestDrugDoc wrote:Cost for members needs to be really low or non existant preferably.
Therein lies the problem - to do anything except send strongly-worded emails, you need money. And there ain't a lot of that floating around the shooting world.
you say that, but every shooter spends money on transport, guns ammo etc, to read the various forums you would be forgiven for thinking that the only optics to buy are £1K+ and that reloading requires £5-600 just to start! so it shouldn't be too much to expect people to pay something for representation ? of course BASC actually occupy that niche at the moment, so maybe the effort should go into persuading them to be more proactive in their lobbying ? or are we just trying to re-invent the wheel?
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#50 Post by Alpha1 »

I will make a prediction it will never happen. Go prove me wrong.