The UK's Finest Independent Forum for Shooters and Gun Owners. Est 2010.

Supporting all legal firearm owners, collectors, enthusiasts, shooters and competitors by promoting and encouraging legitimate gun ownership and use in the UK through unity, advocacy and discussion. To REGISTER contact admin(at)full-bore.co.uk
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:13 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: NRA Membership Process
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:01 am
Posts: 4466
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club
I'd like to join the NRA, but the application process is out of date and you can't join over the phone which is irritating. The NRA is missing out on my membership because it can't modernise with online forms. Considering it's only a couple of days work for a developer, why aren't they doing something about this? I'm sure it would pay for itself in just a few weeks... :bad:

Would others join if they made it quicker and simpler?


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:43 pm 
Offline
Site Supporter Since 2018
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:17 pm
Posts: 641
HALODIN wrote:
Would others join if they made it quicker and simpler?


No, but they really should. It's inexcusable to present yourself as the one and only true body and be stuck in the dark ages.

It's not just the NRA - most of the shooting bodies and clubs seem to be firmly rooted in the 1950s. Given that the average age of most shooting committees is firmly into the seventies, it's hardly a surprise ;)


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:48 pm
Posts: 378
Have to say my membership of the NRA was delayed by a full year because of similar issues.

They also offer a discount on the first years membership that made it silly to join at this time of year and so encouraged me to postpone joining until January.

In the end to join I rocked up on site at Bisley with my paperwork and a credit card.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:01 am
Posts: 4466
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club
Good points well made! Filling out paper forms bores me to tears and then to have to find a stamp to then get to the the post office means I just don't do it.

It's so little work for them to make lots of people's lives easier, it is inexcusable in this day and age... Here's hoping this thread motivates someone at the NRA to do something about it! :good:

Kungfugerbil wrote:
No, but they really should. It's inexcusable to present yourself as the one and only true body and be stuck in the dark ages.

It's not just the NRA - most of the shooting bodies and clubs seem to be firmly rooted in the 1950s. Given that the average age of most shooting committees is firmly into the seventies, it's hardly a surprise ;)


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:01 am
Posts: 4466
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club
Ahh I didn't realise the discount applied to the calendar year and not my first year of membership. There you go, another daft idea. Do they want our money?

I might follow suit. Are you an NRA member as soon as you pay over the counter or do you have to wait for them to process your application?

Countryman wrote:
Have to say my membership of the NRA was delayed by a full year because of similar issues.

They also offer a discount on the first years membership that made it silly to join at this time of year and so encouraged me to postpone joining until January.

In the end to join I rocked up on site at Bisley with my paperwork and a credit card.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 12:14 pm
Posts: 761
It put me off too, but I need to be a member to do the regional RCO course so had to sign up. I sent it recorded delivery for my own piece of mind, and I was contacted a few days later, with my membership card arriving in the post in less than a week after sending the forms off.

It is somewhat irksome that although I have paid for the year, it isn't a year from paying, but only until the end of the calendar year.

Thier entire website needs upissuing to something a bit more modern. It is good to see an active facebook page though.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:01 am
Posts: 4466
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club
I guess that's why they offer the discount, but they've shot themselves in the foot because people will wait until the next calendar year to make better use of it...

I agree, the site needs a face-lift, but in the mean time I'd be happy if they could make the basic functions more functional, it really isn't a lot of work.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:48 pm
Posts: 378
You actually don't need to be a member of the NRA to be accredited as an RCO.

You are a member when you get the card. I'm assuming you are a member of an affiliated club?


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:01 am
Posts: 4466
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club
If that question is directed at me, then yes we are NRA affiliated, why do you ask?

Countryman wrote:
You actually don't need to be a member of the NRA to be accredited as an RCO.

You are a member when you get the card. I'm assuming you are a member of an affiliated club?


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 12:14 pm
Posts: 761
I assume it was for me, Halodin.

I am indeed a member of an affliated club, but the application form for the course stated it required an NRA membership number for myself.

I have been humming and ahhing about joining so it prompted me to. After all, everyone keeps banging on about how can we expect them to support anyone outside of Bisley if we aren't members in the first place.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group