Is it worth Joining the NRA?

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

Re: Is it worth Joining the NRA?

#11 Post by channel12 »

I'm a member because I shoot competitions at Bisley and save on not paying the "non-members range fee". I live 120 miles from Bisley.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#12 Post by Alpha1 »

I'm a member because I shoot competitions at Bisley and save on not paying the "non-members range fee". I live 120 miles from Bisley.
That's a excellent reason to be a member in fact its the only reason to be a member.
River
Home club or Range: "Hereford Breech Loading Rifle Association" Ledbury Rifle & Pistol Club" and "Invitation & Crown House Armouries Clubs". I shoot at Stoke Orchard, Severnside, Sennybridge and Kingsbury ranges. Also, Arizona!

#13 Post by River »

I'm fairly new to shooting, about 18m, in that time I have considered joining the NRA as I felt I should support our national shooting organisation in the UK, however I have heard nothing good about the NRA, only complaints and disquiet - so at the moment I hang on to my money, which I think is a very sad situation to be in!
tackb

#14 Post by tackb »

I was a member ages ago but stopped after a succession of anti behaviour from our supposed national organisation (and a couple of unpleasant experiences at bisley)

Often my resolve weakens and I think actually they seem a lot better now and that behaviour is a thing of the past but just as I'm about to sign up again they do something staggeringly arrogant or stupid again so my money stays in my pocket.

If you've never been a member I'd say join and make up your own mind ?

Good luck
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#15 Post by Ovenpaa »

If you have the chance to shoot at Bisley and would prefer to have individual insurance then yes the NRA is well worth joining.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

#16 Post by M99 »

If you look at what you actually get for your money, then it is a no brainer. Yes, you should join, As said you get access to Bisley , insurance, very good kit insurance, etc worth looking at. More importantly you can be a voice of change.

Mike
techguy

#17 Post by techguy »

The majority of the negative comments about the NRA are made by non-members. Read into that what you will.

I've just joined (been meaning to join up for a while) as the number of competitions I enter, and pay the non-member fee over the course of a year more than pays for a membership.

I also help build/run matches there, and assist with coaching target shotgun too.
Christel
Site Admin

#18 Post by Christel »

techguy wrote:The majority of the negative comments about the NRA are made by non-members. Read into that what you will.
The majority of us ex members are keeping silent in public (most of the time) simply because if we say something even remotely negative it is deemed as NRA bashing which is a term I am struggling to get my head around. Since when has speaking your opinion become bashing?

So, I do not agree that the majority of negative comments are coming from non members, ex perhaps and yes that means non member however at least they have been members and are speaking from experience. The amount of negative comments I hear in private are staggering. If the NRA heard what is being said in private I am pretty sure they would change and change fast.
Christel
Site Admin

#19 Post by Christel »

Insurance...there are many good organisations in the UK offering excellent insurance. Here is one of them.

http://www.nationalgamekeepers.org.uk/ngo-insurance
techguy

#20 Post by techguy »

christel wrote:
techguy wrote:The majority of the negative comments about the NRA are made by non-members. Read into that what you will.
The majority of us ex members are keeping silent in public (most of the time) simply because if we say something even remotely negative it is deemed as NRA bashing which is a term I am struggling to get my head around. Since when has speaking your opinion become bashing?

So, I do not agree that the majority of negative comments are coming from non members, ex perhaps and yes that means non member however at least they have been members and are speaking from experience. The amount of negative comments I hear in private are staggering. If the NRA heard what is being said in private I am pretty sure they would change and change fast.
Odd. I attend regularly... often more than once a month, and for multiple types of disciplines too. In the few years I have been shooting there, I've not had one single cause for complaint.

I'd be interested to know what the complaints actually are, and if those issues were addressed to anyone that can do anything about them at the NRA, and if anything was done by the NRA. Would be also interested to know the demographics too.. i.e what discipline type have the majority of the complaints. I.e are the NRA ignoring a certain type of shooter over another, and if there is a running theme to the complaints.

It's not a perfect organisation by any means, and they still have a bunch of improving to do; but from what I have seen myself over the last few years it's generally going in the right direction from my perspective.