Is it worth Joining the NRA?

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Is it worth Joining the NRA?

#21 Post by dromia »

I think that you need to see the NRA for what they are, an organisation that runs Bisley shooting ranges. They seem to be improving at doing that and if you shoot at Bisley then that is all for the good.

However if you are a gun owner/shooter looking for a national body to represent your interests and develop shooting beyond Bisley then it is an absolute failure, if you don't use Bisley then all the membership fee gives you is very expensive insurance along with the fact that you have the privilege of subsidising Bisley shooters.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
techguy

#22 Post by techguy »

I'd agree with Dromia.

They are trying to develop shooting, and access to facilities outside of Bisley. But what they will achieve remains to be seen...
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#23 Post by saddler »

I choose to support the NRA in a reciprocal manner to their support for us self-loading rifle shooters prior to the UK ban.
benp1992
Home club or Range: Bicester

#24 Post by benp1992 »

Luckily I live within an hour of Bisley so its not to bad to go down for a shoot. But the thing that is very off putting is how much it costs to hire a lane and target just for half a day let alone a full day. I think that is at the moment a big part as to why i have yet to join. But it's something i'm always thinking about and i may in the new year join and see how it goes. But all i really want is to practice full bore mre than I am at the moment and unfrotunaley there doesn't appear to many places around me where i can do that.
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#25 Post by Airbrush »

benp1992 wrote:Luckily I live within an hour of Bisley so its not to bad to go down for a shoot. But the thing that is very off putting is how much it costs to hire a lane and target just for half a day let alone a full day. I think that is at the moment a big part as to why i have yet to join. But it's something i'm always thinking about and i may in the new year join and see how it goes. But all i really want is to practice full bore mre than I am at the moment and unfrotunaley there doesn't appear to many places around me where i can do that.
Get a couple of mates to share the cost. :good:
tackb

#26 Post by tackb »

saddler wrote:I choose to support the NRA in a reciprocal manner to their support for us self-loading rifle shooters prior to the UK ban.
Well said
Ian
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#27 Post by Ian »

Of course as a member you have the chance to influence NRA policy. If enough of us kick they might listen.
RDC

#28 Post by RDC »

Being in the North West, I've yet to see a point in joining. I'm sure it's great if you live an hour or two from Bisley though.
Christel
Site Admin

#29 Post by Christel »

Ian wrote:Of course as a member you have the chance to influence NRA policy. If enough of us kick they might listen.
Optimistic and admirable, not going to happen though.
Dougan

#30 Post by Dougan »

dromia wrote:I think that you need to see the NRA for what they are, an organisation that runs Bisley shooting ranges. They seem to be improving at doing that and if you shoot at Bisley then that is all for the good.

However if you are a gun owner/shooter looking for a national body to represent your interests and develop shooting beyond Bisley then it is an absolute failure, if you don't use Bisley then all the membership fee gives you is very expensive insurance along with the fact that you have the privilege of subsidising Bisley shooters.
But isn't it a bit of a chicken and egg thing? - Getting representatives out into the regions costs money...so who pays for that?...maybe the Bisley shooters will end up subsidising the regions?