Is it worth Joining the NRA?

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

Re: Is it worth Joining the NRA?

#31 Post by dodgyrog »

We have NRA representatives in the regions - about as useful as chocolate fireguards
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Dougan

#32 Post by Dougan »

As far as I'm aware there is about to be a bit of of focus on the regions (as promised in the recent 'mission statement'), but if it's only going to be received with historical skepticism then it will continue to be as useful as a cafe on the moon...

...but who knows; with enough funding, cooperation and some optimism, things may improve...
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#33 Post by Airbrush »

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#34 Post by dromia »

Dougan wrote:As far as I'm aware there is about to be a bit of of focus on the regions (as promised in the recent 'mission statement'), but if it's only going to be received with historical skepticism then it will continue to be as useful as a cafe on the moon...

...but who knows; with enough funding, cooperation and some optimism, things may improve...
One can hope John but after I've listened for 30 years to the NRA promising to develop shooting beyond Bisley and put some of their resources in a place other than Bisley I have yet to see it other than the odd piecemeal opportunist token, so a little understanding of the scepticism please, as it is well founded.

Just look at the NRA promises on here for this forum's 5 1/2 years life and still nothing beyond Bisley of any substance.

I'm not getting any younger and would like to see a truly national NRA instead of a Bisley shooting ground NRA but the history (recent history as well) of the organisation shows us different.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Christel
Site Admin

#35 Post by Christel »

techguy wrote:
I'd be interested to know what the complaints actually are, and if those issues were addressed to anyone that can do anything about them at the NRA, and if anything was done by the NRA. Would be also interested to know the demographics too.. i.e what discipline type have the majority of the complaints. I.e are the NRA ignoring a certain type of shooter over another, and if there is a running theme to the complaints.
Yes, I agree, it would be interesting.
As the points you are raising have been addressed in the past to no avail there are only two things for us non NRA shooters to do (IMO).

Wait until someone comes on board the NRA with the purpose of making the NRA into a national organisation that is shooter/trader friendly. A place where we as shooters will look forward to attending the various meetings. Where staff is treated nicely. Don't forget that the NRA is a registered national charity, not a London based bank where the leadership has razorsharp elbows.

Alternative is of course to just leave things the way they are and one day given enough time people will have forgotten or be dead.

BTW, I am writing this as Christel, not as a business in case anyone felt the need to threaten the SHED again for addressing the situation at the NRA.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#36 Post by dromia »

techguy wrote:
I'd be interested to know what the complaints actually are, and if those issues were addressed to anyone that can do anything about them at the NRA, and if anything was done by the NRA.

Surely the biggest complaint is that the NRA purports to be a national organisation but nearly all of its resources go into running a Surrey shooting ground, its national footprint and effect on shooting beyond Bisley is negligible.

My second complaint is that it will not champion gun ownership and hides behind its constitution when challenged on this.

Gun ownership legislation is the biggest threat to shooting nationally along with the passive threats of range access, poor certifcation processes and down right lies, influence and activity in the public domain by the anti gun lobby.

Those are the two main things we need from a NATIONAL Rifle Association that is truly committed to promoting and developing shooting across the country for all regardless of post code.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#37 Post by FredB »

To get a truly national NRA we need to see people joining it nationally, instead of standing on the touchline whinging and waiting for someone else to sort it out.
Fred
alexham

#38 Post by alexham »

Mike357 wrote:I'm 500 miles away and I joined. It's a very small step to help build numbers.
And the purspose of "building these numbers" is what exactly?
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#39 Post by meles meles »

Despite being a sceptic, we joined. Bisley has improved a little recently under the direction of Andrew Mercer and its probably more productive to join and encourage change than stand on the sideline sniping, fun though that may be...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
tackb

#40 Post by tackb »

I will join again when they truly support ALL shooting , remember I was a member who was sold up the river during the s/a rifle ban and then again the pistol ban !

They won't get another chance to shaft me !