NRA Journal Pictures

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
ResearchPress
Home club or Range: Long Range Rifles Branch of the MLAGB

NRA Journal Pictures

#1 Post by ResearchPress »

Nice as it is to see my photographs published in the NRA Journal, it would be even better if some credit were given.

If anyone is interested the picture appearing at page 5 of the current Journal (Summer 2014) showing an offhand shooter with a percussion rifle (associated with article at page 41) is in fact taken at the Muzzle Loaders Association of Great Britain (MLAGB) 'Trial of Skill' event for patched ball rifle held on Saturday 26 May 2007 at the MLAGB ranges at Wedgnock.

The picture's likely been dragged from archives of reports/articles I used to write for Target Sports / Classic Arms. Did the publishers/NRA not have more recent pictures from the IHAM or Trafalgar Meetings that would have some connection with Rae Wills hard work?

David
www.researchpress.co.uk - www.facebook.com/ResearchPress
Firearms, long range target shooting and associated history
karen

Re: NRA Journal Pictures

#2 Post by karen »

Journal is published by Blaze who produced Target Sports so chances are they used it from stock.

I agree someone should have asked though . . .

Love

Karen
ResearchPress

#3 Post by ResearchPress »

I'd have hoped they would have some pictures in stock now though that related to the article and the NRA, rather than a 7 year old picture from an MLAGB event. They've used odd random pictures in the past that I have recognised as MLAGB ones I have provided years before.

David
rox

#4 Post by rox »

ResearchPress wrote:Nice as it is to see my photographs published in the NRA Journal, it would be even better if some credit were given.
In the past they have harvested photos of mine from the Internet (in fact, probably from this forum), and used them without permission. From memory they didn't respond when challenged. Disgusting behaviour.
karen

#5 Post by karen »

Probably best to tell them they can't use them unless they ask in future - I had one person do that to me when I was Editor as it appeared we had differing senses of humour kukkuk

However I ALWAYS asked as far as I could as I knew about copyright laws!

Love

karen
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#6 Post by dromia »

Blaze, you are dealing with journalists and marketing people. Professions devoid of integrity. Other people are there to be trodden on is their credo

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
ResearchPress

#7 Post by ResearchPress »

I was paid for some of the articles in Target Sports / Classic Arms so maybe they've got some copyright on reuse. Nonetheless credit would have been nice. I'm just more entertained by the random selection of the image from an event that had nothing to do wth the NRA or Mr. Wills.

David
Gaz
Home club or Range: Bisley (usually)

#8 Post by Gaz »

David, it all depends what you told Blaze when you gave them the pictures originally. If you didn't say anything other than "here you go, took this at the event", chances are they've now got it saved in their image library as a stock picture that's free to use. Contact them, tell them you're the copyright holder of that pic (which, as the original photographer, you unquestionably are), ask them for a copy of the original licensing agreement and make it clear that any future use of your pictures is subject to credit/royalties/anything else reasonable.

If you were paid you might have "assigned" copyright to them, which basically means you've handed all rights over the pic (and the article) to them. But that would have to have been in writing.

Gaz (a picture desk man, amongst many other things)
I write words for money - but not here. If you think my words here are written to the same standard as my words for money elsewhere, you're wrong. Have a nice day.

See also www.ukshootingnews.wordpress.com for my take on gun law and target shooting news.