Poll - Are you a member of the NRA?

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!

Are you an NRA affiliated or direct club member?

Member of an NRA affiliated club
38%
Direct NRA member
27%
RCO
15%
Club Instructor
6%
Wind Coach
1%
Other NRA recognised qualification
2%
Not an NRA member
11%

Total votes: 209

karen

Re: Poll - Are you a member of the NRA?

#41 Post by karen »

Alpha1 wrote:What is the point of being a member in all the years I have been shooting they have done nothing to further shooting in the North East of England.

and

There are no ranges any were near me that I can shoot these distances on. Us guys down here or up there have been banging on about these issues for more years than most of you have been on this planet do I sound angry. Yes I am angry stuff the NRA.
And how do the NRA just magically conjure up a huge range just down the road from you? We would love to if we could or someone gave us millions of pounds to do it.

Exactly where do you live as North East covers rather a large area?

How far are you prepared to travel?

How far is Altcar from you? And as previously mentioned Diggle? There are other ranges in the "North East" too such as Ponteland and at least one other which hold fullbore competitions so how far are you from them?

There are ranges nearer than Bisley so why don't you use those?

Love

karen
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#42 Post by dromia »

Just a point when comparing those ranges to Bisley.

One of the big pluses about Bisley is the ability to book individual targets at most ranges out to 1200 yrds at your convenience. That is a fantastic arrangement for shooters as it means that you have a far greater chance to get shooting in to suit your diary.

Booking MoD ranges is far less flexible and requires club bookings and all the attendant organisation and pre fixing of dates that go with that, even the fine club and ranges at Diggle don't operate target booking like Bisley does.

Shooters in the north do use those ranges but the amount of shooting they offer in comparison to Bisley is severly limited.

However that is how it is and we shooters work with it to be able to get the rounds down.

I for one don't have a beef about Bisley being where it is the historic reasons for that are well covered and I do appreciate the magnitude of creating another range somewhere else and to be honest even if the NRA did have the resources to drive such an initiative forward I am not convinced that that would be the best way for the NRA to spend the money to promote shooting nationally. There is far more the NRA could do to help shooters beyond Bisley that wouldn't cost much but could make a big difference.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#43 Post by Alpha1 »

And how do the NRA just magically conjure up a huge range just down the road from you? We would love to if we could or someone gave us millions of pounds to do it.

Exactly where do you live as North East covers rather a large area?

How far are you prepared to travel?

How far is Altcar from you? And as previously mentioned Diggle? There are other ranges in the "North East" too such as Ponteland and at least one other which hold fullbore competitions so how far are you from them?

There are ranges nearer than Bisley so why don't you use those?

Love

karen
I am not really bothered about Bisley either seeing as I am never likely to go there I just wish every one would stop banging on about it.
Karen Altcar I have no idea were that is. Diggle is at least a four hour drive I don't know any body that shoots at Diggle certainly no body in my Club shoots there. Ponteland a couple of hours drive I don't know any one that shoots there. no body in my Club shoots at Ponteland.
I have been informed that we have a range tomorrow on a MOD range at Catterick how ever.
So I will be up early in the morning its about a one to one and a half hour drive.
Its a Club shoot and its my turn to be the RCO for the day (range conducting officer) but I expect to get some shooting in. I am taking my Steyr SSG P1. My TIKKA in 6.5x55 and my No4 .303. Its a full day should be fun then a one to one and a half hour drive home depending on traffic.
Cost for the day with range fee Diesel ammunition probably about £90.

Its a 25yard range Karen 25yards and we are glad to be able to get it. Go figure.
Blu

#44 Post by Blu »

Its a 25yard range Karen 25yards and we are glad to be able to get it. Go figure.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Hell I shoot further than that just stepping out of the side door of my house. Mind you it's just the right range for say.............. 'pistol' :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blu :twisted:
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#45 Post by Alpha1 »

[quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: Hell I shoot further than that just stepping out of the side door of my house. Mind you it's just the right range for say.............. 'pistol' :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blu :twisted:[/quote

How come you have started reading my posts again I thought you had unfriended me and was never going to read any of my posts ever again. The pistol petition is doing really well isn't it we should have them back by the time I am about seventy. But why should that bother you don't even live in the UK. :flag13: :flag13: :flag13: :flag13: :flag13: :flag13: :flag13:
Blu

#46 Post by Blu »

Most of your posts are still visible if I don't log in, and they're sometimes good for a laugh. Nothings changed I see, you're still whinging and whining.

Blu

#47 Post by Blu »

But why should that bother you don't even live in the UK. :flag13: :flag13: :flag13: :flag13: :flag13: :flag13: :flag13:
No I don't, I'm also not lacking or begging for somewhere to shoot either :lol: :lol: :lol: :flag6: usflag.gif :flag6: usflag.gif :flag6: usflag.gif :flag6: bangbang

Blu :55:
Blu

#48 Post by Blu »

Hey Alpha 1, I just did a quick count of the number of shooting ranges within a 10 mile radius from my house. There are 12 shooting ranges/clubs all within that distance. Hey don't you wish :lol: :lol: :lol:. Have fun on that 25 yard range tomorrow, that'll really test your shooting skills tongueout

Dougan

#49 Post by Dougan »

Blu wrote:
Dougan wrote:
Alpha1 wrote:A simple poll.
How strange that as soon as the NRA word is mentioned every thing goes south not just this post but any post that has any thing to do with the NRA. I wonder why that could be.
By the way I am also a muzzle loading instructor I did not see that up there. Why would any body pay good money to a organisation that does not support or help to establish any thing to do with shooting out side of Bisley. Join BASC stop wasting your money on NRA membership unless you live within driving distance of Bisley of course.
Could it be because every time the NRA are mentioned the same people make the same criticisms...

...it'd be good if a few could change the record for a while...
Dougan, why should the record be changed? As Maggot says it could that because it's in the South, people North of Watford feel they are ignored. They are still a part of the NRA membership mate and if those folks decide to withdraw that, well tell me the NRA isn't going to feel it financially. This is something that needs to be sorted, and it should be.
I totally agree that there is an issue with the scope of the NRA's coverage, and I'm glad (despite some resorting to personal insults) that both threads (which have merged slightly) about the petition and the NRA membership have stayed open and been discussed fully in the right place (National body general discussion) on the right topics...

...my reply was directly to Alpha; and was because there have been other threads specifically about events and competitions at Bisley that have been hijacked...when you're trying to promote a competition or course of fire it's really not helpful if someones only comment on the thread is to complain that 'it's no good for them as Bisley is too far away'.

As I've said, I don't believe it's practical or cost effective to try and build another large shooting complex somewhere else...but what has come out of the discussion it that we all (not just the north) have problems with MOD ranges, and that the north has a lack of quality private ranges where you can shoot without having to book a club day 6 months in advance...

...hopefully, if the NRA can get themselves into a better financial position, these issues can be looked at in the not too distant future...
Dougan

#50 Post by Dougan »

Alpha1 wrote:I am not really bothered about Bisley either seeing as I am never likely to go there I just wish every one would stop banging on about it.
Why not treat yourself to a little holiday - you could arrange a club weekend to Mecca (Bisley) and finally get to shoot at 1000 yards...

...you could stay in the Crawford cabins, like I do,...I'm sure you'd have nothing but positive comments about the experience razz