Poll - Are you a member of the NRA?

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!

Are you an NRA affiliated or direct club member?

Member of an NRA affiliated club
38%
Direct NRA member
27%
RCO
15%
Club Instructor
6%
Wind Coach
1%
Other NRA recognised qualification
2%
Not an NRA member
11%

Total votes: 209

Dougan

Re: Poll - Are you a member of the NRA?

#31 Post by Dougan »

Alpha1 wrote:A simple poll.
How strange that as soon as the NRA word is mentioned every thing goes south not just this post but any post that has any thing to do with the NRA. I wonder why that could be.
By the way I am also a muzzle loading instructor I did not see that up there. Why would any body pay good money to a organisation that does not support or help to establish any thing to do with shooting out side of Bisley. Join BASC stop wasting your money on NRA membership unless you live within driving distance of Bisley of course.
Could it be because every time the NRA are mentioned the same people make the same criticisms...

...it'd be good if a few could change the record for a while...
Maggot

#32 Post by Maggot »

How strange that as soon as the NRA word is mentioned every thing goes south not just this post but any post that has any thing to do with the NRA. I wonder why that could be.
By the way I am also a muzzle loading instructor I did not see that up there. Why would any body pay good money to a organisation that does not support or help to establish any thing to do with shooting out side of Bisley. Join BASC stop wasting your money on NRA membership unless you live within driving distance of Bisley of course.
signfunnypost

Because the NSC is in the south...maybe?

For some of us there is not much choice, but to be fair for all their faults (perceived or actual) things at the NSC are improving.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#33 Post by dromia »

Alpha1 wrote: By the way I am also a muzzle loading instructor I did not see that up there.
Because the NRA don't do a muzzle loading course its the MLAGB (look it up and you should know if you went on one of their courses).

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Blu

#34 Post by Blu »

Dougan wrote:
Could it be because every time the NRA are mentioned the same people make the same criticisms...

...it'd be good if a few could change the record for a while...
Dougan, why should the record be changed? As Maggot says it could that because it's in the South, people North of Watford feel they are ignored. They are still a part of the NRA membership mate and if those folks decide to withdraw that, well tell me the NRA isn't going to feel it financially. This is something that needs to be sorted, and it should be.

In the other thread you said that you wished the NRA could be apolitical, you know mate maybe if the NRA was to get more politically involved it might just swell the membership numbers if people see that they are taking on the politicians to defend your chosen sport. From what I'm reading at the moment you guys are being put over a barrel and getting shafted.

Blu :twisted:
Sparks stu
Home club or Range: / Bicester rifle and pistol club / bisley

#35 Post by Sparks stu »

Am a nra member personally and have affiliation with my clubs
IsleShoot

#36 Post by IsleShoot »

I am not a member of the NRA but I am a member of an affiliated club.

It is my understanding (purely via overheard discussions) that my club was forced to become affiliated to allow some members access to shoot at the NSC and because the NRA and the NSRA are now responsible for authorising the use of civilian ranges (should they wish to) having taken that responsibility over from the MOD. I do not know how much truth there is in this but part of me sees the sense in an organisation such as the NRA taking on this roll but another part of me thinks why should one section of such a diverse sport monopolise it?

I am a practical shooter and a member of the UKPSA and the BASC, I see no need for me to join another association as I believe those organisations that directly govern and represent my discipline should harmonise with other associations for the good of all shooting sports.

It would be interesting to know how much of the UK's firearm owning community is represented directly by the NRA? Are they as big/influential as we think they are???
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#37 Post by IainWR »

IsleShoot wrote:I am not a member of the NRA but I am a member of an affiliated club.

It is my understanding (purely via overheard discussions) that my club was forced to become affiliated to allow some members access to shoot at the NSC and because the NRA and the NSRA are now responsible for authorising the use of civilian ranges (should they wish to) having taken that responsibility over from the MOD. I do not know how much truth there is in this but part of me sees the sense in an organisation such as the NRA taking on this roll but another part of me thinks why should one section of such a diverse sport monopolise it?

I am a practical shooter and a member of the UKPSA and the BASC, I see no need for me to join another association as I believe those organisations that directly govern and represent my discipline should harmonise with other associations for the good of all shooting sports.

It would be interesting to know how much of the UK's firearm owning community is represented directly by the NRA? Are they as big/influential as we think they are???
To shoot at Bisley (The NRAs home range) you must either be a member of the NRA or a member of a Club affiliated to the NRA and attending as a member of that club. To shoot on a MoD range you must be a member of a Home Office Approved club affiliated to the NRA or NSRA. To shoot on any other range you must comply with the conditions imposed by the range operators (which is actually what I said about NRA and MoD in the last 2 sentences).

Having said that, I have to add that I don't quite understand the issue in the post I quote above.
IsleShoot

#38 Post by IsleShoot »

Its not so much an issue rather me simply perceiving the NRA as some sort of self appointed governing body for all shooting, regardless of whether the Association is involved in that particular dicipline or not.

I understand the 'my range, my rules' bit and completely agree it makes sense to ensure a range is safe for use or that a shooter is competent but why can only the NRA decide this?

My question therefore is if you had no intention of shooting at the NCR or on an MOD range but you had access to a private club facility you would only require Police approval to shoot over that ground and the appropriate insurances?
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#39 Post by Alpha1 »

To shoot on a MoD range you must be a member of a Home Office Approved club affiliated to the NRA or NSRA.

Well actually that is the issue the only ranges available to my main club are MOD ranges we have been shooting together as a club for ten year as a group in one way or another for at least fifteen years and may be longer. The club is affiliated because we have to be to access the ranges but being affiliated has not been any benefit or help other than allowing us to access MOD ranges. What is the point of being a member in all the years I have been shooting they have done nothing to further shooting in the North East of England.
My average range distance is 50 meters.
Once a month I can if I am lucky shoot at 100yards if I am really lucky I can shoot at 200yards and some times 300yards.
I have never shot at any distance over 600 yards and you can count on one hand the amount of times I have shot at 600 yards. I have never shot at 1000 or 1200 yards and its unlikely I ever will at 63 years old I think my time is running out. There are no ranges any were near me that I can shoot these distances on. Us guys down here or up there have been banging on about these issues for more years than most of you have been on this planet do I sound angry. Yes I am angry stuff the NRA.
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#40 Post by Mike357 »

How far away are you from Diggle?

Sent from my boing using "An application"
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!