HOG Rally withdraws from Bisley

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
Gaz
Home club or Range: Bisley (usually)

HOG Rally withdraws from Bisley

#1 Post by Gaz »

Shamelessly nicked from Facebook...

http://sofer.uk.com/
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Since our advert in the Spring 2014 edition of H.O.G.® magazine went to press, despite the considerable efforts of the South of England Rally’s organising committee, it has not been possible to negotiate acceptable terms for the use of Bisley for SofER in 2014, and we find ourselves in the position of having to consider other options. To allow adequate time and take advantage of this chance to explore all opportunities, we regret, as a result, that we must announce the cancellation of the event planned this year for 1-3 August.

The 5 organising Chapters and H.O.G.® are disappointed at this outcome and we know that many of you will be too.

We all have some great memories of SofER and would like to thank everybody at Bisley who has given us their support, friendship and hospitality over the last 10 years – the staff of the NRA, those at the clubhouses, and Bisley Pavilion. Thanks also to the sponsoring dealerships, traders and most of all, to you – the loyal H.O.G.® members and friends who have made SofER such a great H.O.G.® event to date.
Someone on Facebook did some number crunching which I shamelessly reproduce:
Assuming that every target was booked approx. 150 the income would be £14550 highly unlikely. 500 tent plots @£24 each £12000, 100 Huts or cabins @ £40 each £4000 Total income for accommodation £16000 highly likely, plus the loss to all the other club houses.
In related news, the next meeting of the NRA's General Council is on Saturday 1st March...
I write words for money - but not here. If you think my words here are written to the same standard as my words for money elsewhere, you're wrong. Have a nice day.

See also www.ukshootingnews.wordpress.com for my take on gun law and target shooting news.
karen

Re: HOG Rally withdraws from Bisley

#2 Post by karen »

Wrong wrong wrong on so many levels - the HOG Rally is a fantastic weekend and brings in a shedload of money for the NRA with so little effort.

I am VERY angry **** **** **** ****
Dougan

#3 Post by Dougan »

Don't understand this? - Our club has shot a few times during the HOG weekend, and far from interfering with the shooting I think we all enjoy the spectacle...
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have shot over HOG weekends and there were no issues plus the HOG side of things always appeared to be superbly run. I wonder what went wrong...
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
paulbradley
Home club or Range: RFD

#5 Post by paulbradley »

I was there last year and it was a splendid spectacle!
"The end of all etiquette is to so cultivate your mind that even when you are seated, not the roughest ruffian can dare make onset on your person" - The Ogasawara
nfrancis
Home club or Range: NRA, Fulwood (Liverpool), Frome & District

#6 Post by nfrancis »

I imagine they have been getting the venue for a 'song' over the last few years and didn't like the thought of paying the 'going rate'...
Egg on Leggs1
Home club or Range: Kings Heath Rifle Club

#7 Post by Egg on Leggs1 »

The only issue I had with the HOG weekends was a couple of years ago when they were running Helicopter flights out of the corner of century and flying over the shooting line blowing all my bullets off target.

That and the woman who came out of the Tattoo tent, a gust of wind blew the tissue covering fresh tat on her back. I've put helthier looking things in body bage when I was in the Furburgidy. sign01
tackb

#8 Post by tackb »

They could always go to the blue oyster bar ? :run:
karen

#9 Post by karen »

Neil - it was money for old rope. The HOGs did everything themselves and the NRA only did a small amount of estate work and Amanda's time and the event brought in a lot of money. All the accommodation was used and the clubs all made money too. The HOG organiser said it brought in about £24,000 last year to the NRA. Any increase to that amount could easily be covered by them raising their admission prices - the people who turned up would have easily been able to afford it. I am virtually certain that it isn't to do with the money.
rox

#10 Post by rox »

Gaz wrote: Someone on Facebook did some number crunching which I shamelessly reproduce:
Assuming that every target was booked approx. 150 the income would be £14550 highly unlikely. 500 tent plots @£24 each £12000, 100 Huts or cabins @ £40 each £4000 Total income for accommodation £16000 highly likely, plus the loss to all the other club houses.
These figures are obviously about as aligned with reality as a unicorn's testes. But whether they were getting it 'for a song' or not, how many *extra* target bookings will now be required to replace the lost revenue? It should be possible to work that out without entering the fantasy realm.