What does the North want?

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

Re: What does the North want?

#11 Post by dodgyrog »

All I want is some powerful political representation standing up for us regardless of where I shoot.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
greenshoots

#12 Post by greenshoots »

We want a 1000 mard range, with electronically scored targets at 100, 200, 300, 600 and 1000 mards. Weather protected and heated. Within 30 minutes drive of Sheffield. No range fees and awesome markers. Armourer on site, good gunshoppe too. All included in our annual NRA subscription fee.
as above satilite ranges both in north and wales, theres more than enough call for them

regards

greenshoots
Green by Design
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#13 Post by Mike357 »

Badger, sounds like someone has been trying to gas you again, your clearly "high" :lol:
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#14 Post by Ovenpaa »

What happened to the new 600m range that was being built somewhere near Nottingham?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#15 Post by FredB »

Many years ago, when I lived in the frozen north, I used to organize an annual revolver shoot. based on PP2, using "M" range at Altcar,
Fred
Dougan

#16 Post by Dougan »

Some good responses, and on both this topic and on the 'Brit v Swiss v German' one, the geographical location of Bisley continues to be at the heart of the discussion.

We have to face the fact that it is fantasy (as pointed out by nfrancis) to expect the NRA to set up another shooting center anywhere near the scale of Bisley anywhere else - So we have to accept that it is where it is, and that it is where events like the Imperial and Phoenix will be held...so it is obvious that they will have to prioritize maintaining those facilities...

...also when you look at Bisley's geographical location, if you draw a 200 mile circle round it, it probably covers more shooters than if you put it anywhere else.

So, the only way the NRA can appeal to northern members would be to support, coordinate and develop the existing club structure...

...I think that it's fair, that if the NRA doesn't make more effort to do this, then it is fair that northern shooters don't bother becoming members...but I think it's unfair for anyone to criticize the NRA because "Bisley is too far away"...
Dougan

#17 Post by Dougan »

Mike357 wrote: Barry Buddon where the Commonwealth Games shooting is taking place would make a fantastic complex. But, being sensible, there may well not be enough support for a complex in Scotland
This is excactlly where the NRA should be helping Scottish target shooters; by seeing how much 'legacy' can be salvaged from the Commonwealth games...
Dougan

#18 Post by Dougan »

dodgyrog wrote:All I want is some powerful political representation standing up for us regardless of where I shoot.
Personally I don't want to see the NRA getting too political - I'd like to see the NRA continue to support target shooters, and the BASC continue to support sporting shooters...but for them both (and any other shooting organisations) to get their heads together and help form a separate organization that would represent all shooters politically and in the media...
Christel
Site Admin

#19 Post by Christel »

I get the impression that the local reps have given up because they perhaps feel there is no support from the NRA, maybe this is because there is no money.

I guess all the money the NRA has access to is spent at Bisley leaving nothing for the rest of the country.

So looking beyond money...how about the local reps are being encouraged to use their local clubs to attract more NRA members?
Have a comp, winner gets NRA membership.
Or whatever the imagination can come up with.
It is all about attitude at the end of the day, if the NRA Bisley is too far away for a shooter to visit then bring the NRA into the local club so that we all support the NRA.

I have suggested this in the past, nothing new here. If noone is listening then nothing will change.

This...well there is no money...I can't do anything...attitude is just zzzzom
tackb

#20 Post by tackb »

meles meles wrote:Them o'er on the left hand side don't count. That's Lancashire, and you don't want to get involved with Eccles growers. Just stick with us Yorkshire types, buy our best bitter instead o' suppin' lager, make sure we have the finest range your subscriptions can buy and we'll keep you safe from the Picts...
didn't you lot let the picts sack York?