What does the North want?

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
Dougan

What does the North want?

#1 Post by Dougan »

Some questions to, and hopeful discussion from, folk more than 2/3 hours drive north of Bisley....

I hear our northern friends complain about the NRA and Bisley, saying that if you don't live close enough to Bisley then there are little benefits to joining the NRA...personally I think that's a valid point...so what does the north want...?...

Do you want basic support; e.g. maintaining current ranges? Support setting up new ranges? Support preventing existing range closure?

Or, looking to the future, maybe a Northern Branch?...is this possible?...is there enough land and money?

One thing that occurs, is that it may be a 'chicken and egg thing'.....does the NRA need to show commitment to the North to get membership revenue, or do Northerners need to become members of the NRA to see some commitment...?

Or should the NRA change it's coverage, and leave the north to form their own body?...What if the Scots vote for independance...should it be renamed the English and Welsh Rifle Association?
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

Re: What does the North want?

#2 Post by meles meles »

We want a 1000 mard range, with electronically scored targets at 100, 200, 300, 600 and 1000 mards. Weather protected and heated. Within 30 minutes drive of Sheffield. No range fees and awesome markers. Armourer on site, good gunshoppe too. All included in our annual NRA subscription fee.
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
BestDrugDoc
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Felton and District Rifle Club

#3 Post by BestDrugDoc »

Something properly up north would be good i.e.near Newcastle upon Tyne - easy to get to - a Northern Branch perhaps.

Trouble is, I dont really know what the benefits of Bisley are. Went there a couple of years ago for the Phoenix shooting .22lr.

But I would like to get into full bore - CSR in particular.

And of course more PSG - depending on who is running it.........

bigteeth
Dougan

#4 Post by Dougan »

A problem with a 'northern branch' is that 'the north' is quite big - Bisley is right in the south, so if we wanted proper coverage then you'd need a branch in Northern England, and a Scottish branch, to put most folk within driving distance...
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#5 Post by meles meles »

Them o'er on the left hand side don't count. That's Lancashire, and you don't want to get involved with Eccles growers. Just stick with us Yorkshire types, buy our best bitter instead o' suppin' lager, make sure we have the finest range your subscriptions can buy and we'll keep you safe from the Picts...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Dougan

#6 Post by Dougan »

So are we talking about a new shooting complex right in the heart of the Rhubarb Triangle!?
majordisorder

#7 Post by majordisorder »

Forget Scotland, they'll be going their own way soon and will have all of their guns removed anyway. So if the most northerly part of the UK is to be Newcastle how about sticking a new range in the Midlands, then everyone's happy :flag5:
Black Rifle - Firearms, Ammunition, Vortex Optics, MDT Chassis, AR-15 accessories and "go-faster" bits for your Smith and GSG 1911
Strangely Brown
Home club or Range: NRA

#8 Post by Strangely Brown »

As the British Army shrinks in size there is the growing possibility of the NRA acquiring something in the north. Especially if the MOD want to contract out of owning ranges......

Just my tuppence worth!
Mick
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#9 Post by Mike357 »

Good topic!

Firstly, Scotland won't be going anywhere. Independence won't happen.

As for what we want, somewhere in Scotland would be nice. Barry Buddon where the Commonwealth Games shooting is taking place would make a fantastic complex. But, being sensible, there may well not be enough support for a complex in Scotland so Northern England would be sensible, say Otterburn!

The "Scottish Centre of Excellence for Shooting" has reared its head again quite close to me but if the SNP and the Scottish shooting bodies aren't to ruin it then the NRA need to get all over this NOW!

Or how Bisley, Diggle and Barry Buddon as regional NRA ranges (I know Diggle is privately owned)
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
nfrancis
Home club or Range: NRA, Fulwood (Liverpool), Frome & District

#10 Post by nfrancis »

Dougan wrote: I hear our northern friends complain about the NRA and Bisley, saying that if you don't live close enough to Bisley then there are little benefits to joining the NRA...personally I think that's a valid point...so what does the north want...?...
What does the North want? More pertinent maybe is what the North can offer...

I shoot competitive Gallery Rifle and in the 'North' we have a dearth of offerings.

We have excellent shoots at Mattersey and Derby. Note - Mattersey is North Nottinghamshire - not too North!

North of the real border we have a couple of shoots at Galashields and The Wapinshaw in Aberdeen. And thats it - a massive gap of land in between seemingly offering not a lot.

I want more of these in the North:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6l6fsavab6xg ... -final.jpg

Maybe less time on the North South arguments and less fantasizing - just more time just putting shoots on. I'm only speaking for Gallery Rifle - but I don't particularly care what discipline we talk about though - what is going on in the area?

Anyone (in the North) fancy putting on a classified Gallery Rifle shoot at some point. All we need is a 25 or 50 m range, turning targets, a bunch of people to help out and some enthusiasm for it all. GR shooting is pistol shooting by proxy - thousands of us used to do this years back in ranges all over the place - where has everyone gone?