Bisley Shooter Certification Card - Renewal/Up keep

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

Re: Bisley Shooter Certification Card - Renewal/Up keep

#11 Post by kennyc »

IainWR wrote:Please may I take this opportunity to remind everyone that the responsibility to record members' shooting activities rests with the club, not with the member. Therefore, if you, as an individual NRA member, shoot at Bisley and do not record your activity, you are putting the NRA at risk. You are also putting the NRA official responsible for such matters (me) at risk. This has two corollaries. First, I am aware that our current system is not as user-friendly or as robust as it might be, and I am thinking about alternatives to make it simpler for us all. Second, if I catch anyone failing to record their shooting I will fall on them from a very great height pushing a stack of leftover Bisley Bibles ahead of me.

The NRA sets a variety of standards for renewal of the SCC, mostly because we are much too big an organisation to rely on personal knowledge of individual abilities reaching up to the Sec-Gen. If you really haven't done any of the things it takes to get a new one for nothing, and you really don't have another club to sign you off, we only charge £15 for a professional member of staff to take the time to check you one-on-one.

Iain
your friendly caring NRA Police Liaison Officer
Iain, I shoot at Bisley primarily as a member of an affiliated club, however in order to support the NRA I have joined as an individual member, does this mean I am obliged to record my club visits with the NRA ? to date I have only booked a target once as a member so I assume that is recorded by the NRA ? or is there a separate process? I know I should probably have read all the fine print, however there is a lot of fine print and as I said I am primarily a club shooter and joining the NRA was not really to enable me to shoot at Bisley, am I opening myself to problems with renewal if the NRA is returning "nil attendance" reports back to the authorities at the end of the year?
SevenSixTwo

#12 Post by SevenSixTwo »

IainWR wrote:Please may I take this opportunity to remind everyone that the responsibility to record members' shooting activities rests with the club, not with the member.... Therefore, if you, as an individual NRA member, shoot at Bisley and do not record your activity, you are putting the NRA at risk.
That doesn't make any sense to me.

At my club we can't shoot unless we've logged at least the calibre we intend to.
"It's ok, it's just a train. On you get".
pigsy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Bisley

#13 Post by pigsy »

Iain - Thank you for your points.

To clarify, my NRA affiliated club logs all of my shoots with them. I'm actually shooting at Siberia today (great weather for it but the wait until Feb for my next club shoot is too long!) and I will of course log this on the NRA log - as I always would.

It would seem reasonable from the above suggestions therefore that I log ALL shoots on the NRA log for completeness and problem solved.

Adam
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#14 Post by IainWR »

kennyc wrote:Iain, I shoot at Bisley primarily as a member of an affiliated club, however in order to support the NRA I have joined as an individual member, does this mean I am obliged to record my club visits with the NRA ? to date I have only booked a target once as a member so I assume that is recorded by the NRA ? or is there a separate process? I know I should probably have read all the fine print, however there is a lot of fine print and as I said I am primarily a club shooter and joining the NRA was not really to enable me to shoot at Bisley, am I opening myself to problems with renewal if the NRA is returning "nil attendance" reports back to the authorities at the end of the year?
Hi Kenny

More than one issue there, that are linked partly because of the way Bisley operates.

If you are shooting with your Club (not the NRA) at Bisley, you do not need to record your shooting in the NRA system - it is your Club's responsibility to make a record.

If you shoot with the NRASC your signing in their range log on the range meets the requirement.

The fact that you book a target at Bisley as an NRA member does not create a record of your shooting activity at Bisley for the purposes of the regulations surrounding Home Office Approval. If you book a target as an individual and you hold a FAC, you must (by NRA-acting-as-a-HOA-Club procedures) log the actual shooting on the computer in the Range Office.

You MAY log your shooting on the Range Office computer anytime you shoot, whether a FAC holder or not and regardless of whether you are shooting with NRASC, another cluib or as an individual member. This is one way to create a record to demonstrate "good reason" for possession of firearms for target shooting come FAC renewal time.

If you have not recorded any shooting in the Range Office computer throughout the year, and you have not entered any of the major NRA meetings that require you to state which specific firearms you will use on the entry form, and you have not signed in with NRASC throughout the year, and you hold a FAC then the NRA will submit a non-attendance report. This may lead the police to ask questions, particularly if you have not told the NRA that you are a member of another club.

Hope that helps, if you need to ask further please do by PM, email to me at work Iain.Robertson@nra.org.uk or phone 01483 797777 x 154

Iain
IainWR

#15 Post by IainWR »

SevenSixTwo wrote:
IainWR wrote:Please may I take this opportunity to remind everyone that the responsibility to record members' shooting activities rests with the club, not with the member.... Therefore, if you, as an individual NRA member, shoot at Bisley and do not record your activity, you are putting the NRA at risk.
That doesn't make any sense to me.

At my club we can't shoot unless we've logged at least the calibre we intend to.
It is a legal requirement on the club to keep a record of the attendance of all members who hold a FAC including the firearms used and the competitions, if any, entered.

At Bisley, because we have about sixteen ranges and over 300 firing points spread across a frontage of nearly a mile, and because many of our range users either are not members or are shooting as members of clubs other than the NRA, we need the active co-operation of NRA members to ensure the NRA as a club meets that requirement.

I'm guessing your club has a single point of access, and operates one or maybe two ranges at a time, and most of the members are known to each other, so you can police a recording system at a fairly informal level. The scale of Bisley and the NRA membership coupled with the diversity of range use makes that very difficult to achieve. As I said, I am working on better ways of doing it, in concert with the Membership department who are in the process of implementeing a big upgrade of our membership record.

Iain
IainWR

#16 Post by IainWR »

pigsy wrote:Iain - Thank you for your points.

To clarify, my NRA affiliated club logs all of my shoots with them. I'm actually shooting at Siberia today (great weather for it but the wait until Feb for my next club shoot is too long!) and I will of course log this on the NRA log - as I always would.

It would seem reasonable from the above suggestions therefore that I log ALL shoots on the NRA log for completeness and problem solved.

Adam
Hi Adam

If you log all shooting on the NRA system, yes, that will meet all possible requirements. But it is only legally necessary to do so when you shoot as an NRA individual member, and one entry on the system will suffice to remove you from the non-attendance report for 12 months.

Iain
John MH

#17 Post by John MH »

Is this 'Logging' in only required by NRA members whose 'Primary' Club is the NRA?
kennyc

#18 Post by kennyc »

IainWR wrote:
kennyc wrote:Iain, I shoot at Bisley primarily as a member of an affiliated club, however in order to support the NRA I have joined as an individual member, does this mean I am obliged to record my club visits with the NRA ? to date I have only booked a target once as a member so I assume that is recorded by the NRA ? or is there a separate process? I know I should probably have read all the fine print, however there is a lot of fine print and as I said I am primarily a club shooter and joining the NRA was not really to enable me to shoot at Bisley, am I opening myself to problems with renewal if the NRA is returning "nil attendance" reports back to the authorities at the end of the year?
Hi Kenny

More than one issue there, that are linked partly because of the way Bisley operates.

If you are shooting with your Club (not the NRA) at Bisley, you do not need to record your shooting in the NRA system - it is your Club's responsibility to make a record.

If you shoot with the NRASC your signing in their range log on the range meets the requirement.

The fact that you book a target at Bisley as an NRA member does not create a record of your shooting activity at Bisley for the purposes of the regulations surrounding Home Office Approval. If you book a target as an individual and you hold a FAC, you must (by NRA-acting-as-a-HOA-Club procedures) log the actual shooting on the computer in the Range Office.

You MAY log your shooting on the Range Office computer anytime you shoot, whether a FAC holder or not and regardless of whether you are shooting with NRASC, another cluib or as an individual member. This is one way to create a record to demonstrate "good reason" for possession of firearms for target shooting come FAC renewal time.

If you have not recorded any shooting in the Range Office computer throughout the year, and you have not entered any of the major NRA meetings that require you to state which specific firearms you will use on the entry form, and you have not signed in with NRASC throughout the year, and you hold a FAC then the NRA will submit a non-attendance report. This may lead the police to ask questions, particularly if you have not told the NRA that you are a member of another club.

Hope that helps, if you need to ask further please do by PM, email to me at work Iain.Robertson@nra.org.uk or phone 01483 797777 x 154

Iain
thanks for that Iain, if memory serves, I had to declare my main club when I applied to the NRA, my own club keep attendence records so I should be OK from that view. I will start logging on at the range office now I know it is a useful exercise. further to your point about the booking of a target not being tied to "logging on" surely it would make sense to incorporate logging the visit into the process of turning up and signing for the target? even if all that happened was a reminder to log in?
ken
Maggot

#19 Post by Maggot »

Its easier just to log in when at Bisley, it only takes a few seconds and means it is recorded somewhere.....If you have a log in (you are an NRA member)

Or is it me tesnews

Anyway, it means I can go and pester Fred or annoy Chris :wave:
kennyc

#20 Post by kennyc »

Maggot wrote:Its easier just to log in when at Bisley, it only takes a few seconds and means it is recorded somewhere.....If you have a log in (you are an NRA member)

Or is it me tesnews

Anyway, it means I can go and pester Fred or annoy Chris :wave:
I rarely go into the range office, its why I voted for you as club chairman! :55: