NRA: the first year of Mr Mercer

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

NRA: the first year of Mr Mercer

#1 Post by meles meles »

We've just received the latest issue of the NRA journal here at the sett and it opens with a piece by Mr Mercer describing his first year at the helm of this beleaguered ship. The news, on the whole, is good: the NRA is now attracting new members at the rate of 100 / month*, the finances are getting back onto a more even keel and plans are in paw for a better, more user focused future. An encouraging start we think, and worthy of a little praise at last.

* We joined this year after many years of deriding the NRA, mainly though some direct assistance from the aforementioned new captain. We haven't been disappointed so far.
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
The Cupcake Kid

Re: NRA: the first year of Mr Mercer

#2 Post by The Cupcake Kid »

I hear the lease increases for the clubhouses hasn't been received so well, though...
"Wherever Pie Man is, The Cupcake Kid will not be far behind"
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#3 Post by meles meles »

Indeed, but the general membership seem to have been subsidising the lucky few for many a long year so perhaps the move to obtain market rents for them are actually a benefit to the membership as a whole.
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Matt
Home club or Range: Bisley

#4 Post by Matt »

Starting to see some good changes coming about on the ranges, shooting on short Siberia last weekend..... Good target frames and plenty of clean targets, new heated toilet blocks with warm water, soap and hand towels ..... I know some will say that's how it should be but in reality it's nice to see them being installed instead of the old cold spider dens :good:

I'm not into politics or what should have happened in the past but I love shooting at Bisley and it's showing some good strong shoots of recovery from where I stand... One day we may even see some electronic targets again (living in hope as it's Christmas)

:goodjob:
Dougan

#5 Post by Dougan »

Yes there's definitely been some improvements this year...I really it hope it continues fingerscrossed
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#6 Post by shugie »

I think the heated bogs on Short Siberia are mainly for the civil nuclear police, we just get to use them at weekends. Not that I'm complaining mind, a warm bog is nothing to winge about.

I do appreciate that the NRA is still very Bisley centric, and were I further away the benefits to me of joining would be less. But I'm hopeful that the improvements will continue, as Mr Mercer does seem to be getting things done.
Careful now/that sort of thing
Maggot

#7 Post by Maggot »

Matt wrote:Starting to see some good changes coming about on the ranges, shooting on short Siberia last weekend..... Good target frames and plenty of clean targets, new heated toilet blocks with warm water, soap and hand towels ..... I know some will say that's how it should be but in reality it's nice to see them being installed instead of the old cold spider dens :good:

I'm not into politics or what should have happened in the past but I love shooting at Bisley and it's showing some good strong shoots of recovery from where I stand... One day we may even see some electronic targets again (living in hope as it's Christmas)

:goodjob:
Agreed, but still way off the mark.

It is a national shooting centre, we should be proud to invite people there, yet I still think we hide behind "Charm, History and tradition".

But like you say, onwards and upwards....eventually

The open day left me worn out and wondering why?

I have a long and, while scathing, constructive letter I still need to send to Mr Mercer regarding some recent activities I took part in (and paid for).

I am still angry about it, but have to be careful because I feel the fault was with the NRA rather than the individuals involved, who I have a lot of time for.

The other problem I have is that I still go there expecting things to be bad, so only see the bad, which is a bad thing on my part, but I doubt I am alone.
nfrancis
Home club or Range: NRA, Fulwood (Liverpool), Frome & District

#8 Post by nfrancis »

Maggot wrote: I am still angry about it, but have to be careful because I feel the fault was with the NRA rather than the individuals involved, who I have a lot of time for.
Hmm - The NRA is not sentient. Who or what are you defining as the NRA in this case? The NRA, as an organisation, is made up of a bunch of individuals. If you have a lot of time for the individuals then why when the collectively represent the NRA do they appear to let you down?
Tower75

#9 Post by Tower75 »

Looking forward to the future. I joined a little while ago. I still haven't been yet, but I'm hoping to put that right this year.

2014: The year of the boom-sticks.
Wait, so I can own a .55 calibre Boys anti-tank rifle, but not a .22 pistol?
Maggot

#10 Post by Maggot »

nfrancis wrote:
Maggot wrote: I am still angry about it, but have to be careful because I feel the fault was with the NRA rather than the individuals involved, who I have a lot of time for.
Hmm - The NRA is not sentient. Who or what are you defining as the NRA in this case? The NRA, as an organisation, is made up of a bunch of individuals. If you have a lot of time for the individuals then why when the collectively represent the NRA do they appear to let you down?
Fair, complicated, but I have every reason to be aggrieved and I am not going to air details on here.

That would be unfair and unprofessional.

A long time ago I used to get paid to teach/instruct, so I know what is possible even with limited resources.

And before some smart arse wades in and says "Well why don't you do it then" in reply I would point out that I am going there to be trained, thus making me a "Trainee" and not "an expert" attempting to get the point across.

That said, it will only change if they get feedback.

Things are looking up though, no doubt about that.