NRA Shooting Club

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
alexham

Re: NRA Shooting Club

#21 Post by alexham »

Hauptman wrote:Alex: It costs myself and five friends approx. £11 each for a half day mid-week, during which we would normally expect to get through 50 rds each.
We have a routine which maximises our use of the time available, and allows a break for the marker at half time.

H/man
That is a very good deal, Hauptman. I would be very happy to pay that, but I do not have 5 friends willing to commit themselves on regular basis.

Thanks,

Alex
Hauptman

#22 Post by Hauptman »

Well, I was in the same position a couple of years ago...........my shooting opportunities were a sporadic 1 or 2 hour Sunday morning slot on an incredibly bleak, cold, and windy military range in Hants. 4 or 5 times a year, or the NRASC.
One downside of the NRASC was availability, so having shared a target on a couple of times with another member, I simply canvassed full NRA members on this forum for anyone who wanted to share the costs of an occasional Bisley target. After the very successful first shoot, there was a unanimous decision to make it a regular event. I now have enough shooting mates to fill a roughly fortnightly slot. Not everyone attends every shoot, but there's usually 4 or 5 regulars. So far this year, we've had 22 shoots.
The exchange of information has also been invaluable, since most of these guys have far more experience than me.

Give it a go.........you never know.

H/man
alexham

#23 Post by alexham »

Hauptman,

If you ever have a spare space, I would like to join you.

Alex
Hauptman

#24 Post by Hauptman »

I'm hoping that others will follow my example and set up their own groups. So many times, particularly mid-week, our bunch have been the only shooters.

Perhaps the NRA could improve accessibility by allowing members of affiliated clubs to shoot. I believe the affiliation covers insurance requirements, and the necessary competence certs. could be registered and held by the NRA.

Just an idea to get a few more bellies on mats...........

H/man
alexham

#25 Post by alexham »

Hauptman wrote:I'm hoping that others will follow my example and set up their own groups. So many times, particularly mid-week, our bunch have been the only shooters.

Perhaps the NRA could improve accessibility by allowing members of affiliated clubs to shoot. I believe the affiliation covers insurance requirements, and the necessary competence certs. could be registered and held by the NRA.

Just an idea to get a few more bellies on mats...........

H/man
Hauptman,

I have such a group, but most have to work and cannot shoot midweek, not to mention the extra hour it takes to get to Bisley in weekday traffic (and additional gallon of petrol). We shoot mainly at short range (100 to 300yds) and that means shooting on Century as Short Siberia is not available in the week. Very often that turns out to be a total nightmare.

NRA shooting club is not an option either, especially not in Low Season. I prefer afternoon shoots and that means that, in effect, one has only 2 hours before it gets dark, so it is not possible to take advantage of shooting at more than one range. In my opinion, paying £20 for that is only for the desperate, but I would not discourage anyone from doing it.

I like to shoot once a week and I have not yet found a group or a club that shoots as often.

Alex