Wifi at the NRA

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

Wifi at the NRA

#1 Post by shugie »

Anyone know if there#s public accessible wifi anywhere at Bisley?

I've got a club Open Day on the morning of the 6th October, but that's also the day that Glastonbury tickets go on sale, so I'd like to have a go at getting online to try for a ticket. I can use mobile data, but wifi might be faster, and that would give me a better chance. If I stay here to do it, I'll not get to Bisley until 11 or later, and it's only a morning shoot.
Careful now/that sort of thing
Christel
Site Admin

Re: Wifi at the NRA

#2 Post by Christel »

There should be, there is at the Phoenix and the Imperial. Ask Heather?
Steve E
Home club or Range: Where ever I shoot.

#3 Post by Steve E »

Most of the Clubs at Bisley have WiFi but it is for the members of that club to use who pay for it through their subscriptions. The NRA does provide free WiFi during the Main Meeting.
So unless you can get someone to give a you a WiFi password you may be stumped.
The Cupcake Kid

#4 Post by The Cupcake Kid »

The Clays cafe has free wi-fi. The code available from the reception counter on the right as you go through the main entrance.
"Wherever Pie Man is, The Cupcake Kid will not be far behind"
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#5 Post by shugie »

The Cupcake Kid wrote:The Clays cafe has free wi-fi. The code available from the reception counter on the right as you go through the main entrance.
Excellent, occasionally have lunch in there but didn't know about the WiFi. Thanks!
Careful now/that sort of thing
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by 1066 »

Ok - Completely off at a tangent here. If we could get good WIFI at Bisley, wouldn't it be possible to use some sort of video streaming from the butts to the firing point as a makeshift target camera system.

I have an APP on my android phone that can send video to another android device in real time as long as there's a wifi link.

Just a thought that occurred to me while I was reading the thread.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
The Cupcake Kid

#7 Post by The Cupcake Kid »

1066 wrote:Ok - Completely off at a tangent here. If we could get good WIFI at Bisley, wouldn't it be possible to use some sort of video streaming from the butts to the firing point as a makeshift target camera system.

I have an APP on my android phone that can send video to another android device in real time as long as there's a wifi link.
First off, there won't be a WiFi signal available in any of the butts. Even if I'm parked on the hill overlooking the Clays cafe I can't get a reliable connection and the same will go for any of the other club WiFi signal on camp. Once you're several hundred yards away with a few walls and trees in the way, there will be nothing.

Even if you could organise your own Wifi router in the butts, the mantle would block the signal so you would need external antennas or repeaters all over the place. You would then also have to work out what type of camera, lens and resolution would be required to be able to spot the holes from wherever you can fix the camera (not many options in the butts as you have to stay below the mantle of course).

On a nice flat open range without target trenches a wireless camera system is fine and can be very useful but at Bisley it's not very practical unfortunately.
"Wherever Pie Man is, The Cupcake Kid will not be far behind"
Dangermouse

#8 Post by Dangermouse »

http://www.bullseyecamera.com/

Allready available in a nice package

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Ginger

#9 Post by Ginger »

Sorry to be a kill joy, but why would we want the NRA to supply wifi unless it is fully compliant with the laws of the land, i.e. Terrorism Act 2010, EU Data Retention Directive 2006 & Digital Economy Act 2010.

To get a fully compliant system can be expensive, and I would sooner NRA spend money on things that improve the shooting otherwise we will loose more facilities to the Police and the camp will just become the SE of England Police Firearms School.