400 Yard firing point?

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
Strangely Brown
Home club or Range: NRA

400 Yard firing point?

#1 Post by Strangely Brown »

Can anybody shed any light on why the range office consistently refuse a booking at 400 yards?

I did a practice shoot with some muckers a few weeks ago and the lad who tried to book at 300, 400 & 500 was refused the 400 yard slot.
The reason we were told was, "because it impeded with other users". When we moved back to 500 yards it was evident that we were nowhere near any other range users.
And last year when the same happened we were simply told, "nobody shoots at 400 yards".
CSR shooters do!
Mick
John MH

Re: 400 Yard firing point?

#2 Post by John MH »

They let me shoot at 400 yards a couple of weeks ago, did 100, 200, 300 AM and 400, 500 and 600 PM.

Maybe they don't like you.

They don't often cut the grass at 400 though.
Strangely Brown

#3 Post by Strangely Brown »

John MH wrote:They let me shoot at 400 yards a couple of weeks ago, did 100, 200, 300 AM and 400, 500 and 600 PM.

Maybe they don't like you.
Not many people on this forum like the bloke I was shooting with either! ;)
Mick
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#4 Post by IainWR »

It is literally true that very few people want 400x.

Thus, you block 8 tgts / 100 yds each side when you do it. Now while that is not an issue in itself, the more distances we operate, the more blocks of 8/100 we lose to safety space. Since almost nobody wants 400x, that's 16 lanes lost for your booking of 1 or 2. The 300 / 500 / 600 blocks we aggregate all the clubs and we lose a total of 24 lanes to cover the three popular distances. Add 400 and the problem becomes really difficult.

That doesn't say it can't be done, just that it is a major headache and the return on resources is pretty poor, and quite a lot of the time actually negative.

Iain
Strangely Brown

#5 Post by Strangely Brown »

Thanks for the quick response Ian. :good:

I guess the growth of CSR won't help matters!
Mick
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have shot a few F Open comps from the 400 point and it seemed well tended last time I was there.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#7 Post by IainWR »

Strangely Brown wrote: I guess the growth of CSR won't help matters!
If it grows to the point where it becomes the majority customer, guess what, other people will get kicked off to make way. Now I like you think that it is unlikely in the short term that such a situation will happen. But be assured that if it does you will get the space.

Iain