Small-bore Siberia 2

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

Small-bore Siberia 2

#1 Post by hitchphil »

.........I always thought the NRA could make some revenue having an outdoor 50m/100yd small bore range on site? poss shooting opposite direction into the backstop wall of Siberia? Many clubs only have 25yd indoor & the NSRA only have 50m. Would it cost that much to level an area build a FP & cover then lease it to the many shooters / clubs who also do smallbore? & that could also continue quietly shooting after the hooter.................?

Many young shooters start in Small-bore as its lighter, cheaper to fuel & easier to practice.

Whatduthink any????
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

Re: Small-bore Siberia 2

#2 Post by meles meles »

Sounds a plan worthy of serious consideration !
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

The small bore bench rest chaps are just desperate for 50 and 100 yrd outdoor ranges for practice and competitions.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Steve E
Home club or Range: Where ever I shoot.

#4 Post by Steve E »

Nice idea but I cannot see how you could shoot 'In Reverse' into the back stop of either Short Siberia or Century Ranges.
Behind the backstop on Siberia is the access road to Long Siberia (disused for FB for 30+ years) and a rather thickly wooded area. Century backstop is equally well wooded behind and access could be a big problem.
The woods would need to be cleared (not impossible) and firing points built, possibly covered (again not impossible) but the biggest problem is that you would possibly be in the RDA from Pirbright.

I would advocate improving on Melville Range and Cheylesmore and allowing prone rifle on these ranges. After all Cheylesmore was originally run by the NSRA as a 50m Free Pistol and small bore rifle range. When the NRA took it on they turned it through 180 Degrees and it is now a Gallery Rifle Range but only at 25m when it was originally 50m. Big disadvantage to Cheylesmore is that the caravan site next door will complain about the range noise and parking will always be very limited.
There is always the old Pistol Galleries that could readily be converted into a 50m No Danger Area range and I know that the NRA does have plans to make more use of these.
With the new 100yd firing point being built on Century the NRA has a great opportunity to have 100yd small bore shooting carrying on into the evenings. If there are any plans to do any of this, it should be centrally on Bisley and not tucked away at the back of Siberia. Keep it in the main Camp Complex and shooters will feel more welcome and the clubhouses could benefit from more trade.

just my ramblings
Individual
Past Supporter

#5 Post by Individual »

dromia wrote:The small bore bench rest chaps are just desperate for 50 and 100 yrd outdoor ranges for practice and competitions.
There is a 100 yard outdoor small bore range at Headley Park RPC, open 7 days a week to members.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#6 Post by dromia »

Is it cleared for Bench shooting or prone only, how many firing points?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
hitchphil

#7 Post by hitchphil »

I recognise removing trees etc would involve work & cost but the backstop wall of Siberia is high enough to accommodate a NDA small-bore range to 100yds. Being in the Pirbright NDA might be a problem I haven’t got the maps. Central to my thinking was 100yds capability as that is what is missing at Bisley & for many small bore clubs - also it is not competing what the NSRA Roberts range it compliments it as there is 25 & 50 not 100. Benchrester’s & others do appreciate 100yds capability.

Steve makes a good point of being central to the site & being part of the Bilsey experience but is it possible to do ~100yds anywhere in the central areas? Not sure? Am not sure another 50m capacity will be seen positively by NSRA who should be our partners in the shooting world.

Could 100yds small-bore be shot from on front of the 300m sheds? or is that overlapped by the shotgun ranges & prevent reverse echelon shooting - its long enough central 100yds even 200? & with suitable frames to walk up & change targets might be a workable option? - Who knows about this angle is it another technical non starter?

I used to be a member at Headley park its a great range just a bit far for me & my kids, My now avid full-bore shooting daughter started out there…….. egg & .22 rnd! - I use Thorn in Bedfordshire occasionally but I do see many 100yd small-bore ranges becoming more difficult to access or even existing.

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
hitchphil

#8 Post by hitchphil »

Dromia - Re Headley Psark 50 FP i think all covered & a pistol gallery too. I would presume cleared for bench but if we wanted to do standing we had to move fwd to 50m target line. shttp://www.headleyparkrpc.co.uk/disciplines.html.

IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#9 Post by IainWR »

100 yds could be shot anywhere on Century from about target 20 to 90 from the 200 yd FP - the NSRA do it every year for their annual meeting. There would of course be substantial deconfliction issues, but it's within Range Safety regs.

Shooting back-to-back with SS isn't. You would be in the Danger Area for SS - imagine a low-energy high angle ricochet - could easily end up impacting 100 metres or so beyond the stop butt with lethal residual energy.

The right of arc for Pirbright danger areas is somewhere diagonally across Stickledown - it comes nowhere near SS.

Arranged the other way round might work - firing point tucked hard against the back of the stop butt, and electronic targets in the DA. But would need a huge amount of land clearance, and out-of-hours use might impact on the access to the shotgun facilities on Long Siberia. A similar suggestion has been made in regard to Melville, but the stop butt would need a lot of enhancing in the first place.

All of these ideas and more are kicked around every so often. I've just thought of another one - RHS of the 300m shed, not the bit with electronic targets, put a set of electronic targets and a mini stop butt just in front of the 200 yd FP. More ideas welcome. Don't guarantee to make any of them happen, but if it's possible and there is a demand and the bill isn't too big it will be considered.

Iain
John MH

#10 Post by John MH »

Same for reactive targets on Stickledown when you get the opportunity to approach the MoD I hope. Enjoy SA.