Small-bore Siberia 2

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
alexham

Re: Small-bore Siberia 2

#11 Post by alexham »

hitchphil wrote:.........I always thought the NRA could make some revenue having an outdoor 50m/100yd small bore range on site? poss shooting opposite direction into the backstop wall of Siberia? Many clubs only have 25yd indoor & the NSRA only have 50m. Would it cost that much to level an area build a FP & cover then lease it to the many shooters / clubs who also do smallbore? & that could also continue quietly shooting after the hooter.................?

Many young shooters start in Small-bore as its lighter, cheaper to fuel & easier to practice.

Whatduthink any????
Good idea, in principle. Any form of additional range facility is a good idea and I have shot on a range that had a high wall as a buttstop with 25 metre range on one side and 100yds smallbore prone range on the other. It worked well until if was closed, but it might be considered unsafe to day - this was 30 years ago. NSRA has a 50m range in Lord Robert's Centre and it is well underused. Empty most of the time. I cannot see anything wrong with it except the price and the fact that many clubs have 50m outdoor ranges that members can use for nothing! A 100yd/m fullbore range would be "doubly popular", but there are safety issues.

I would certainly prefer to shoot fullbore at 100m from the other side of the butts on Short Siberia to the new facility on Century and I am reasonably certain that many others would feel the same.

I suggest that you contact NRA with this idea without delay.
Individual
Past Supporter

#12 Post by Individual »

dromia wrote:Is it cleared for Bench shooting or prone only, how many firing points?
Ah good point - might just be prone.
Firing points - not sure, 5-6 maybe.

There is a separate 50 m range that is cleared for 'seated'
alexham

#13 Post by alexham »

dromia wrote:Is it cleared for Bench shooting or prone only, how many firing points?
It is cleared for prone only and there are about 12 to 15 firing points under cover.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#14 Post by hitchphil »

. NSRA has a 50m range in Lord Robert's Centre and it is well underused. Empty most of the time. I cannot see anything wrong with it except the price and the fact that many clubs have 50m outdoor ranges that members can use for nothing!A 100yd/m fullbore range would be "doubly popular", but there are safety issues.

I would certainly prefer to shoot fullbore at 100m from the other side of the butts on Short Siberia to the new facility on Century and I am reasonably certain that many others would feel the same.

Iain from NRA has replied & pointed out some of the drawbacks of areas to the rear of Siberia but suggested another potential way.

I agree the NSRA have priced themselves out of the market with range hire at the Roberts so possibly NRA could take up some of that market & compete to set more reasonable prices?

I did suggested a 22 only range because it can be cheaply set up, 100yds does not exist at Bisley for 22 TR / every day use & shooting on it can continue after the hooter? 100yds FB is being catered for even if the Century proposals have issues. I am not convinced it would be doubly popular...

I still think traditional SB prone target shooting (& bench rest) from the 300yd FP in front of the 300m sheds (obviously when not in use!) at targets in self standing wooden frames sat on the 200yd hard point (or at 50m) using the backstop below the mantel there would be cheap easy & quick to set up & see what happens ….. The issues will be shot from the clay ranges to the left & walking up to change targets & de-conflicting a safety zone limiting FB 600yds shooting from behind & if 22 would damage the targetry at 300m/yds if shots go above the prone 100 yd line of sight.

But many SB shooters shoot midweek & evenings ……when 500/600yds FB is much less prevalent. If it became popular then I would suggest a mini backstop might be suitable.

Its an experiment all it needs is traditional NSRA style wooden frames with backing boards & some advertising & a price competitive per lane / hr fee.

I will leave it to Iain to take to the NRA / estates as an idea.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#15 Post by FredB »

There is already a 100yd range; the left hand side of Stickledown is used, standing and prone, during the Trafalgar and the Historic Arms meetings. Why not use this?
Fred
alexham

#16 Post by alexham »

hitchphil wrote:
. NSRA has a 50m range in Lord Robert's Centre and it is well underused. Empty most of the time. I cannot see anything wrong with it except the price and the fact that many clubs have 50m outdoor ranges that members can use for nothing!A 100yd/m fullbore range would be "doubly popular", but there are safety issues.

Iain from NRA has replied & pointed out some of the drawbacks of areas to the rear of Siberia but suggested another potential way.

I agree the NSRA have priced themselves out of the market with range hire at the Roberts so possibly NRA could take up some of that market & compete to set more reasonable prices?

I did suggested a 22 only range because it can be cheaply set up, 100yds does not exist at Bisley for 22 TR / every day use & shooting on it can continue after the hooter? 100yds FB is being catered for even if the Century proposals have issues. I am not convinced it would be doubly popular...

I still think traditional SB prone target shooting (& bench rest) from the 300yd FP in front of the 300m sheds (obviously when not in use!) at targets in self standing wooden frames sat on the 200yd hard point (or at 50m) using the backstop below the mantel there would be cheap easy & quick to set up & see what happens ….. The issues will be shot from the clay ranges to the left & walking up to change targets & de-conflicting a safety zone limiting FB 600yds shooting from behind & if 22 would damage the targetry at 300m/yds if shots go above the prone 100 yd line of sight.

But many SB shooters shoot midweek & evenings ……when 500/600yds FB is much less prevalent. If it became popular then I would suggest a mini backstop might be suitable.

Its an experiment all it needs is traditional NSRA style wooden frames with backing boards & some advertising & a price competitive per lane / hr fee.

I will leave it to Iain to take to the NRA / estates as an idea.
Hitchphil,

Using Century with makeshift targets would not be practical nor popular, because everyone has to stop shooting to go forward to change targets, so you end up running and walking half the time and you are still paying £ a minute. NSRA do it well, but you need organisation, discipline and a determined RCO. I shoot occasionally in their meetings, when I am roped in by the club, but I do not enjoy it because it always turns out like a choreographed mad rush! The same would apply to but 0 on Stickledown and anywhere without safe access to the butts - i.e. military ranges.

NSRA have priced themselves out of the market long time ago because they are remote from the smallbore shooters and neither consult nor take on board what they are being told. I fear that NRA is the same, so do not expect anything that is reasonably priced.

You can shoot 100yds prone on Short Siberia at weekends - nuclear police have it in the week and we are barred. Target is £44 per half day and you can bring your own targets or use NRA standard. Perfectly possible to stick up 4 targets and shoot with 4 sharing the firing point, then go forward to change targets. You could get up to 8 to share and get enough shooting in a half day, which will bring the cost of the target down to £5.50 per head. To a fullbore shooter that would be heaven, but from what I know of typical sb prone shooters they would not be prepared to pay £5.50 on top of the huge cost of petrol to get to Bisley to shoot on regular basis. So the initial enthusiasm will soon wane and the new facility will stand idle. You cannot expect NRA to take this forward for you. You have to drive it yourself.

My suggestion is that you try Short Siberia to gauge the enthusiasm and the staying power of your group first. In the meantime, approach your county association to find out where they shoot 100yd county matches and try that range.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#17 Post by hitchphil »

There is already a 100yd range; the left hand side of Stickledown is used, standing and prone, during the Trafalgar and the Historic Arms meetings. Why not use this?
Fred
Hi Fred – I thought so too – so shot there & found its not 100yds because the butts are in front of the 800yd FP its ~95yds to the 900FP, also to shoot from the 900FP down to the butt is awkward especially if like many SBR shooters you have butt hooks etc. Shooting on the grass between is also awkward as you end up aiming up hill AT ~87yds (& it’s a bog) . So I have suggested set up a lightly raised level 50m FP on the grass between & with simple free standing fames - 22 & kid training etc can be performed. Trouble with that is its in direct competition to the NSRAs range. & I do belive undermining the NSRA will not be good for the sport. However we hired Butt Zero in Dec & had 20 shooters running concurrently for the ~£60 per morning so its was great value & fun when we did all the small-bore speed shoots (skirmishers, speed groups, Polos, lucky numbers, animals & knockdowns / steels).

I do think Butt Zero is underutilised but then it does remove ~20 X 900 & 1000 FPs from operation too.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?