Electronic targets on Century

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
The Cupcake Kid

Electronic targets on Century

#1 Post by The Cupcake Kid »

I see from the latest NRA newsletter that six new electronic targets are being proposed for Century, presumably to coincide with the work that's going to be done on butt 19.

The newsletter says these targets will be for use at 100, 200, 300 yards.

What's to stop them being used at the other distances on Century? I would have thought there would be a demand for 600yd electronic targets, especially by the hour.

Thoughts?
"Wherever Pie Man is, The Cupcake Kid will not be far behind"
Gaz
Home club or Range: Bisley (usually)

Re: Electronic targets on Century

#2 Post by Gaz »

Sounds like they might be dedicating that part of Century to short range shooters only. Can of worms!
I write words for money - but not here. If you think my words here are written to the same standard as my words for money elsewhere, you're wrong. Have a nice day.

See also www.ukshootingnews.wordpress.com for my take on gun law and target shooting news.
artiglio

#3 Post by artiglio »

The provision of electronic targets during a revamp of butt 19 to provide short range facilities, seems a good move, i would expect them to get far more use than if they were provided at 600. This opinion is purely based on the numbers of people that i've seen using siberia as against century.
Hopefully they wil be a sucess and prove reliable and in time will be available for 600yds as funds/priorities permit.
I shot on century yesterday and was glad to note that comments about the toilets have been noted, around 9am someone came round and checked the toilet block, it was good to see that they function, are cleaned, have bog roll and a brush, a ticklist on the wall shows they are checked on a regular basis.

All small things, but they make a difference.

While we were there Iain was showing a couple of journalist types ( i think) around and giving a rundown on the styles of shooting available.

I'm optimistic that in 5 years, Bisley will be much improved and hopefully attracting greater numbers of shooters, generating additional income for further investment.

All the best phil
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#4 Post by IainWR »

Its dead simple. 600 yards requires twice as much electric string.
rox

#5 Post by rox »

IainWR wrote:Its dead simple. 600 yards requires twice as much electric string.
So is this is a new system that stands a chance of being reliable? Can you tell us which brand?

The Cupcake Kid

#6 Post by The Cupcake Kid »

So 600 yards will be possible in the future if/when you lay more cable?
"Wherever Pie Man is, The Cupcake Kid will not be far behind"
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#7 Post by IainWR »

No, I can't tell you which brand, and we have no intention to take this small installation, which is part of the enhancement programme to replace midweek use of Short Siberia, beyond 300 yds. First because the additional cabling and ducting costs, second because it would require a bigger target (which might not fit folded down in the space behind the crest of the mantlet when we do want to use conventional targets) and third because most off-the-shelf systems as used in huge numbers in Europe only go to 300m. There are other subsidiary reasons. We want this to work "out of the box" so we are avoiding all avoidable complexities.
alexham

#8 Post by alexham »

IainWR wrote:Its dead simple. 600 yards requires twice as much electric string.
Why complicate things when all we needed were electric motors to move exiting target frames up and down without inducing hernia or requiring 3 strong men to operate. A simple motor with up/down toggle is all that is needed!

The people that shoot on Short Siberia use many different types of targets. HBSA historic; Tin Hat; Fig.11; Bison; Deer; Madonna with Child and a host of other varieties. Will the electronic system be able to provide all these?

How is the system going to show a complete miss - i.e. off the target?
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#9 Post by Mike357 »

System at Blair Atholl works at 1200m. Seems reliable and easy to put up and tear down on a daily basis.

Just sayin. razz
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

My preference is always electronics for practice and competition and as long as they are working they are great. They are also a lot safer than motors and pulleys on frames and probably a lot cheaper plus there is no need for a marker.

Roll on electronics.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal