New Century Target Numbers

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

New Century Target Numbers

#1 Post by hitchphil »

I found the new target numbers very hard to read in low or flat light thru the foresight & was having to check i was on the right target multiple times even the board colour wasnt as clear - are we going to see lots more xshots at this years Imperial?

Q jokes about my eyesight I guess! & yes ttiuwp
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

Re: New Century Target Numbers

#2 Post by channel12 »

At least there are numbers now, on Butt 19 a lot of the targets had no numbers at all. It was quite a challenge when shooting snaps at 400 yards to work out which was yours.
John MH

#3 Post by John MH »

hitchphil wrote:I found the new target numbers very hard to read in low or flat light thru the foresight & was having to check i was on the right target multiple times even the board colour wasnt as clear - are we going to see lots more xshots at this years Imperial?

Q jokes about my eyesight I guess! & yes ttiuwp
Get a bigger foresight:

http://www.auburnscouts.com/stallingsma ... tsight.htm
rox

#4 Post by rox »

John MH wrote:Get a bigger foresight:

Or a Scott Riles. Arguably better made, more versatile, and available in the UK.

hitchphil wrote:are we going to see lots more xshots at this years Imperial?
Once the sun is higher in the sky and not glaring directly onto the boards it might not be so bad.

John MH

#5 Post by John MH »

rox wrote:

Or a Scott Riles. Arguably better made, more versatile, and available in the UK.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. emrolleyes
rox

#6 Post by rox »

John MH wrote:
rox wrote:

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. emrolleyes
Really? which part?

John MH

#7 Post by John MH »

The "arguably better made" part, I've seen and handled both and have a Stallings so I'm probably bias.
rox

#8 Post by rox »

John MH wrote:The "arguably better made" part, I've seen and handled both and have a Stallings so I'm probably bias.
Likewise, but I have 3 Riles sights (so maybe biased the other way tongueout ), but - I've seen more than one example of very poor machining on Rightsights and, until now, have never heard an opinion other than the Riles being better made (which is, of course, somewhat subjective, although I've certainly not seen or heard of any example of poor machining or finishing of a Riles). Perhaps Stallings have ironed-out these problems though. They are doubtless both capable products that do what they say on the tin. Other things I like about the Riles product include compatibility with accessories from other manufacturers (like Gehmann and other tubes/shades, HPS rain protector system etc.), and the flexibility to mount 30mm, 22mm or 18mm systems on the same barrel attachment (e.g. to use existing 18mm iris/lens/tubes etc. for an extra backup system). I also like the ability to rotate the lens, so you can adjust it such that the deviation of the point of aim is purely in the vertical plane, so there is no change in wind zero when switching between foresights (or when removing the lens, e.g. in heavy rain/fogging) - if I recall correctly the Rightsight lens is located by a stud, so you are stuck with the deviation you get (it does, at least, locate repeatably though). What I don't like is the tendency to unscrew accessories on the front with barrel inertia, requiring thread lock to prevent (which makes it more difficult to remove and clean the lens) and marking an index to detect any rotation. I wish they could put a left-hand thread on the front, but then the accessory compatibility would be lost.

John MH

#9 Post by John MH »

Not experienced any of the problems mentioned with mine and it is fitted with a European from aperture. It also came with sun shades, rain guard, level and spare mounting block. I'm sure that both manufactures listen and act on feedback from customers as the market is so small.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#10 Post by hitchphil »

I already got an RPA 22mm wind sock on it! ...... now ur suggesting i fit a mortar tube?
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?