Short Siberia in danger - letter to Robin Pizer

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
John25

Re: Short Siberia in danger - letter to Robin Pizer

#41 Post by John25 »

Still Siberia as far as I know.

CNC used to try and finish on Thursday, if they still do it gives NRA staff time to set up.

I would't worry 'we' are still an important NRA asset.
Gun rhymes with fun.

We are constrained only by the rules of safety and our own imagination.

John

http://www.bisleyshootingservices.co.uk
John MH

#42 Post by John MH »

RHS of Century at 100 and 200 yards is a bog, probably the most unpleasant place to shoot in the whole facility.
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#43 Post by meles meles »

Forgive our ignorance, oomans, we don't know much about Bisley and its many apparently convoluted machinations, but isn't the NRA first and foremost in existence to provide facilities for its members, not to supply services to the nuclear plod?
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#44 Post by IainWR »

John MH wrote:RHS of Century at 100 and 200 yards is a bog, probably the most unpleasant place to shoot in the whole facility.
Dear Badger

Yes indeed, but to provide those facilities at reasonable cost requires that we generate income from the times when the ranges are largely empty of members. If CNC wish to pay large sums to achieve their essential training at times when members fees wouldn't even pay my wages for the day, never mind the minimum 3 range staff to make the place go (ie most weekdays other than in high summer), then that's GOOD FOR THE SPORT. (OK maybe I exaggerate a bit, but you get the idea. Having a hugely valuable asset like a Bisley range doing nothing on the offchance that a couple of members might want to book a couple of hours is barking mad.)

John MH

Errrr - the estates staff are well aware of that. I don't think anyone will object to me saying that when this was mooted, the CEO, Estates manager, Competitions manager, Ranges manager and Firearms manager (me) went down to Butt 18 / 19 and walked the ground in detail (on a bloody cold and damp day) to work out what needs to be done to produce a workable facility at 100 / 200 yds including; well drained firing points, useable waiting areas behind, shelter, ready access to the butts, convenient car parking, no upset to our CSR/PR colleagues who use that area for run-down competitions, no disturbance to the badgers / newts / barn owls and a bunch of other issues. Whether we can meet all the aspirations is yet to be seen. But keeping our commercial customers happy, who pay sums that we have no hope of ever getting from members usage (and would not wish to), is a critical issue in building a businesslike facility that generates income to support the sport.

Iain
Last edited by IainWR on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John25

#45 Post by John25 »

John MH wrote:RHS of Century at 100 and 200 yards is a bog, probably the most unpleasant place to shoot in the whole facility.
I believe that's being sorted John, it was two years ago anyway.

You are right in that it is poor ground, the lake will have to go, trouble is the water table is very high there. It will be money again which decides, but as I say, Siberia will be available at week-ends.

Anyway, I thought you SR and Hi Power hard nuts revelled in real battle conditions? ;)

(Iain beat me to it)
Gun rhymes with fun.

We are constrained only by the rules of safety and our own imagination.

John

http://www.bisleyshootingservices.co.uk
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#46 Post by meles meles »

IainWR wrote:
Dear Badger
... If CNC wish to pay large sums to achieve their essential training at times when members fees wouldn't even pay my wages for the day, never mind the minimum 3 range staff to make the place go (ie most weekdays other than in high summer), then that's GOOD FOR THE SPORT.
Iain

Oh indeedy, we entirely agree, especially if they don't disturb us and the newts while they are at it in the bog. We wonder why the other oomans didn't mention the place was deserted most of the time and thus the glow-in-the-dark Plod weren't getting in anyone's way ?
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Steve E
Home club or Range: Where ever I shoot.

#47 Post by Steve E »

OK Chaps and Chapesses, I have had a very open and illuminating chat with Andrew Mercer this afternoon about Short Siberia.
Essentially the CNC have a requirement during the week to use Short Siberia for their training which they pay very handsomely for. At present they shoot Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday (but not all Fridays). The CNC would now like to be able to shoot Tuesday through to Friday. so all we are talking about is extra usage on a Thursday.
To accomodate this the NRA needs to provide 100/200 yds for its members and to that aim is going to build a 100 yd firing point on Century Range at Butt 19. Along with the new firing point, a new carpark will be needed and it is proposed that this will be built adjacent to the Target Shed at the side of Short Siberia. A Footpath will be constructed to enable access to both the carpark and the Butts from the firing points at 100/200yds New toilets are also in the proposal. I expressed my opinion that shooters should have as near as possible the same ease of access to the butts on Century as they have on Siberia. Andrew assures me that this has been considered and shooters will benefit from the new set up. Actually shooters will gain as their will be more 100 yd firing points available at the weekends when reverse echelon is in place.
The CNC bring a lot of money into Bisley and this is being re-invested in the improvements that are being made.
John MH

#48 Post by John MH »

IainWR wrote:
Dear Badger

Yes indeed, but to provide those facilities at reasonable cost requires that we generate income from the times when the ranges are largely empty of members. If CNC wish to pay large sums to achieve their essential training at times when members fees wouldn't even pay my wages for the day, never mind the minimum 3 range staff to make the place go (ie most weekdays other than in high summer), then that's GOOD FOR THE SPORT. (OK maybe I exaggerate a bit, but you get the idea. Having a hugely valuable asset like a Bisley range doing nothing on the offchance that a couple of members might want to book a couple of hours is barking mad.)

John MH

Errrr - the estates staff are well aware of that. I don't think anyone will object to me saying that when this was mooted, the CEO, Estates manager, Competitions manager, Ranges manager and Firearms manager (me) went down to Butt 18 / 19 and walked the ground in detail (on a bloody cold and damp day) to work out what needs to be done to produce a workable facility at 100 / 200 yds including; well drained firing points, useable waiting areas behind, shelter, ready access to the butts, convenient car parking, no upset to our CSR/PR colleagues who use that area for run-down competitions, no disturbance to the badgers / newts / barn owls and a bunch of other issues. Whether we can meet all the aspirations is yet to be seen. But keeping our commercial customers happy, who pay sums that we have no hope of ever getting from members usage (and would not wish to), is a critical issue in building a businesslike facility that generates income to support the sport.

Iain
Iain

The RHS of Century has been a bog for years and even during the summer struggles to dry out, so please forgive me I was only pointing out how it is now and has been for a very long time. If plans are in place to improve the drainage that's great news but I struggle to see where you are going to put shelters on the RHS of Century, unless I've misread you.

John MH
Dougan

#49 Post by Dougan »

Steve E wrote:OK Chaps and Chapesses, I have had a very open and illuminating chat with Andrew Mercer this afternoon about Short Siberia.
Essentially the CNC have a requirement during the week to use Short Siberia for their training which they pay very handsomely for. At present they shoot Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday (but not all Fridays). The CNC would now like to be able to shoot Tuesday through to Friday. so all we are talking about is extra usage on a Thursday.
To accomodate this the NRA needs to provide 100/200 yds for its members and to that aim is going to build a 100 yd firing point on Century Range at Butt 19. Along with the new firing point, a new carpark will be needed and it is proposed that this will be built adjacent to the Target Shed at the side of Short Siberia. A Footpath will be constructed to enable access to both the carpark and the Butts from the firing points at 100/200yds New toilets are also in the proposal. I expressed my opinion that shooters should have as near as possible the same ease of access to the butts on Century as they have on Siberia. Andrew assures me that this has been considered and shooters will benefit from the new set up. Actually shooters will gain as their will be more 100 yd firing points available at the weekends when reverse echelon is in place.
The CNC bring a lot of money into Bisley and this is being re-invested in the improvements that are being made.
Thank you for the facts Steve.

Though it would have good if the NRA could have simply responded in a similar way to the email inquiries on the subject...surely when there is an ongoing and important issue being queried, a reasonable standard response could be organised easily (could some of the revenue generated by the CNC be used to employ someone purely to coordinate and respond to email queries? (a job that could be done from home))

I think it's a shame that Short Siberia will be unavailable to shooters during the week, but being realistic I fully understand the reasons why...

...still not totally convinced about shooting at 100 in reverse echelon though.
karen

#50 Post by karen »

Um looks like they have responded but Alex has chosen to post the reply in a different thread :roll:

Love

karen