Short Siberia in danger - letter to Robin Pizer

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
Dougan

Re: Short Siberia in danger - letter to Robin Pizer

#31 Post by Dougan »

alexham wrote:
Dougan wrote:I certainly will be 'watching this space' while the facts are being established.

I'm all for necessary change, but keeping Short Siberia pretty much as it is is a no-brainer - Firstly it is a great little range (for all the reasons already stated), and most members would be horrified to lose it - Secondly, again for the reasons already stated, it is impractical to shift 100/200 shooting to the right hand side of Century...

...and there is a third reason there, safety...having had a ricochet whiz over my head once at 300 on Century, I'm not sure I'd want to spend all day down at 100 on a normal shooting weekend where many are shooting at 500/600.
Dougan,

Please, do you have any details of that incident and have there been any more. There is another question. Even if the new facility is absolutely wonderful, it can only be used when Century is in reverse echelon, otherwise it will be in the direct bullet path from 600yds behind. Solution would be to operate in reverse echelon all the time, but then the 300metre International shed and targets could never be used. Where are they going and who is paying for the move?

Alex
The incident was reported to, and is being dealt with by the correct person at the NRA - that person is actually a forum member, and I don't wish to cause him (or the NRA) any headaches by discussing the details.

All I'm prepared to say is that while such incidents are very rare, and preventive measures are being taken, I would still question the wisdom of having the amount of shooters, family and friends that attend Shorts at the weekend being camped down in the far corner of Century...
John25

#32 Post by John25 »

Dougan wrote:
alexham wrote:
Dougan wrote:I certainly will be 'watching this space' while the facts are being established.

I'm all for necessary change, but keeping Short Siberia pretty much as it is is a no-brainer - Firstly it is a great little range (for all the reasons already stated), and most members would be horrified to lose it - Secondly, again for the reasons already stated, it is impractical to shift 100/200 shooting to the right hand side of Century...

...and there is a third reason there, safety...having had a ricochet whiz over my head once at 300 on Century, I'm not sure I'd want to spend all day down at 100 on a normal shooting weekend where many are shooting at 500/600.
Dougan,

Please, do you have any details of that incident and have there been any more. There is another question. Even if the new facility is absolutely wonderful, it can only be used when Century is in reverse echelon, otherwise it will be in the direct bullet path from 600yds behind. Solution would be to operate in reverse echelon all the time, but then the 300metre International shed and targets could never be used. Where are they going and who is paying for the move?

Alex
The incident was reported to, and is being dealt with by the correct person at the NRA - that person is actually a forum member, and I don't wish to cause him (or the NRA) any headaches by discussing the details.

All I'm prepared to say is that while such incidents are very rare, and preventive measures are being taken, I would still question the wisdom of having the amount of shooters, family and friends that attend Shorts at the weekend being camped down in the far corner of Century...
CNC go home for the week-end.

They paid towards the drainage, they paid towards the extra tuning targets

wtfwtf :cool2:
Gun rhymes with fun.

We are constrained only by the rules of safety and our own imagination.

John

http://www.bisleyshootingservices.co.uk
Dougan

#33 Post by Dougan »

Easy John - don't go busting your head as well :grin:

Don't forget that not everyone knows about all the goings on at Bisley; this thread is the first time I've even heard of the CNC using the range at all...

...until someone actually gives the facts about what is really going on, we can only comment on the rumor and speculation...
John25

#34 Post by John25 »

Dougan wrote:Easy John - don't go busting your head as well :grin:

Don't forget that not everyone knows about all the goings on at Bisley; this thread is the first time I've even heard of the CNC using the range at all...

...until someone actually gives the facts about what is really going on, we can only comment on the rumor and speculation...

Dougan,

That's my point, although failing to respond to a members question is poor form, getting upset and ranting about things (the NRA is, largely through it's own doing, a favourite target on this forum) getting upset and ranting about half truths is vexing.

I'm not angry with anyone here, just frustrated.

:cheers:
Gun rhymes with fun.

John

Dougan

#35 Post by Dougan »

John25 wrote:
Dougan wrote:Easy John - don't go busting your head as well :grin:

Dougan,

That's my point, although failing to respond to a members question is poor form, getting upset and ranting about things (the NRA is, largely through it's own doing, a favourite target on this forum) getting upset and ranting about half truths is vexing.

I'm not angry with anyone here, just frustrated.

I fully understand your frustration, but it is only natural that the NRA is a popular topic on here; being a UK shooting forum with many Bisley shooters - I agree that often some of the criticism is unfounded and unfair, but this forum is still a fair representation of UK shooters opinions (the good the bad, and the ugly razz )...and some higher up in the NRA would do well to take notice...

Anyway, I'm about to have a wee aperitif, so will toast to the NRA staff (and ex-staff) who stick it out on here even when some individuals are being totally unreasonable.... :cheers:
John25

#36 Post by John25 »

I'll have a drink with you on that, thanks, also' I have a confession to make.

'THE NRA' may not answer on here (it's a loyalty and contract thing with which I totally agree) 'they' are aware.

I'll say no more!

Gun rhymes with fun.

John

karen

#37 Post by karen »

John25 wrote: CNC go home for the week-end.
wtfwtf :cool2:
Didn't I just say that? sign01

I have always had this problem with men - usually its just my voice that they don't listen to - now they can't read my typing either :roll: :roll: :roll:

Love

Karen
John25

#38 Post by John25 »

Yes dear :roll:
Gun rhymes with fun.

John

karen

#39 Post by karen »

John25 wrote:Yes dear :roll:
I just so KNEW you would say that :roll: :roll: :roll:

love

Karen
Dougan

#40 Post by Dougan »

karen wrote:
TJC wrote:I'd suggest we need both the new and existing facilities. Short Siberia gets busy during the summer weekends and easier access to shorter ranges might help bring in new shooters. Just sayin'
Um CNC don't use the ranges at weekends so any changes wouldn't impact on weekend bookings.

Love

Karen
I did read this, but it raised more speculative questions, which I wasn't sure you could answer....

...the questions are; would shooters still have the facility to use the 100 yard point on SS at the weekend? And, if not where who the 100 shooting take place at the weekends?