RCO course, Whats involved?

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

Re: RCO course, Whats involved?

#11 Post by meles meles »

yes, ooman, that was us in werebadger* form.

Good course wasn't it ? Now woe betide all the oomans at the shoot this Sunday when we put on our dayglow jacket and start waving our stiffykate around. We're now licenced to tyrannise...

Oh, and for future attendees, it might well be worth asking the NRA if you can take your own gun and ammunition. Their guns were somewhat lacking in functionality and the ammunition defintely defective - and that was before Gun Wrecker got at them !!! (Oddly enough though, the Chief Examiner seemed a tad miffed when we were called forward to act as a shooter for one detail and promptly raised our paw** in the air to report that our gun would fail to feed and some of the ammunition was missing its primers. It seems he wanted those faults to occur...)

*Werebadger. A badger in ooman form, but still possessing the brains of a badger.
** Werebadgers are renowned smartarses at times
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#12 Post by Ovenpaa »

I need to hear more about the gunwrecker, it all sounds rather mysterious. All we had at our RCO course was a glut of people who had either forgotten magazines or bolts and I seem to remember Ceri of this forum having to resort to shouting 'BANG' which so reminded me of Dads Army :grin:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#13 Post by TattooedGun »

Gunwrecker that meles would be referring to would be me!

We were using a couple of rugers (one in fetching fuchsia) and a couple of marlin 357 under leavers...

Unfortunately they had run out of round nose ammo at the NRA so we were left to using wad cutters and a limited supply of angled (not quite round nose bullets) - i forget the exact name...

We were having problems cycling the wad cutters and it was generally fairly well acknowledged we should use single feed only...

So whilst someone was RCO'ing I got roped in to help someone who had a jam with one of the wad cutters trying to cycle, and I got the blame amongst our little group, even though it was nothing to do with me... then I shot the other one after a 10 minute set back of the examiner having to fix that one, and rather stupidly decided to have a go at cycling wad cutters, for it to jam up straight away!! Doh! the screw that releases the lever was overly tight and the only screwdriver we had wasn't really up to the job and we couldn't fix it, and we had to retire the rifle.... so one of the coppers decided to keep calling me the gun wrecker :'(

I got my own back when I gave him the Dummy round twice on century though.... ha-ha
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#14 Post by meles meles »

"And there, your oomanships, rests the case for the defence."

There is of course another view. Konstabubble Junior, who had a rather worrying predilection for the pink gun, claims that the vehemence of your denials would be more than enough to get you convicted in court, even a ooman court. Konstabubble Senior's notes, taken at the time, would back up those of Konstabubble Junior.* The fact that you couldn't remember we were using truncated conical bullets suggests that your memory of the events is unclear and definitely not to be relied upon. You'd have no chance at all under Badger Law.** The final nail in your coffin is the admission that you stiched up Konstabubble Junior with the dummy round.***

*Else they wouldn't be admissible as evidence of course.
** Oddly enough, no ooman has ever been wrongly found innocent under Badger Law
*** They were the round rubbery ones we found on Cheylesmore, yes?
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"