RCO course, Whats involved?

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

RCO course, Whats involved?

#1 Post by TattooedGun »

I've got mine this weekend, and I've not been well at all the past few days, i seem to be getting worse.

So I'm wondering how much of it is out on the range and how much is in the classroom.

I have to learn and study the Instruction Manual too, so is there a written test, with a pass mark, or do you just have to show understanding of whats involved?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated! Thanks
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

Re: RCO course, Whats involved?

#2 Post by M99 »

Take plenty of beer chits!

If it is Charles and John - get John to take you to the Artists club - just don't let him leave early - mind he crashed it on the Sunday and was err - late!!

There is range time on both days, but it is not excessive - it is death by power point though!

We did range Saturday morning without firearms, then Sunday morning we did an hour or so on Century whilst people did their range briefs etc - role play!!

Followed by about an hour on Chelysmoor with the Gallery rifles. (Our group was much quicker on the range than the other group by about 2 hours!!)

Good weekend at Bisley

Mike
TattooedGun
Past Supporter

#3 Post by TattooedGun »

I won't be staying on Bisley, so I don't think I'll be spending tooo much time in the Artist (or any other pubs on site to be honest) :(

Do I need to take a firearm with me?
spud
Home club or Range: Grovesmall Arms

#4 Post by spud »

hopefully doing the very same course soon with my club looking forward to it
ImageImage
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

All I can add is read the RCO handbook cover to cover before you go. I highlighted the parts that I wanted to be very aware of such as abbreviations, different types of ranges and mil rules. I also made notes in the back of my book.

I also prepared my range brief and printed it out prior to the RCO course so it was for the most ready to go and then modified the wording in a couple of areas on the day.

Most important things is enjoy the course and if the ones I have done are anything to go by wrap up very warm, both of mine were in freezing cold rooms which wears you down after a while.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by Blackstuff »

TattooedGun wrote:
Do I need to take a firearm with me?
Only if the role players start to get REALLY carried away!! :lol:
ovenpaa wrote:All I can add is read the RCO handbook cover to cover before you go. I highlighted the parts that I wanted to be very aware of such as abbreviations, different types of ranges and mil rules. I also made notes in the back of my book.

I also prepared my range brief and printed it out prior to the RCO course so it was for the most ready to go and then modified the wording in a couple of areas on the day.

Most important things is enjoy the course and if the ones I have done are anything to go by wrap up very warm, both of mine were in freezing cold rooms which wears you down after a while.
+1+1+1+1+1

Especially this bit :good:
DVC
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#7 Post by dromia »

Read the Book, then read the book, then read the book, then red the book.

Once you have done all that do it all over again another dozen times or so and then repeat.

Yes there is a written exam.

Also take note of those things in the book that you are unsure about and seek clarification at the course.

BTW read the book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

#8 Post by M99 »

No you don't need to take a firearm.
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#9 Post by meles meles »

'Twas a doddle !

Enjoyed meetin' some of you oomans and shouting at you. Even if we did have to keep Gun Wrecker under close arrest by two Konstabubbles...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
TattooedGun
Past Supporter

#10 Post by TattooedGun »

meles meles wrote:'Twas a doddle !

Enjoyed meetin' some of you oomans and shouting at you. Even if we did have to keep Gun Wrecker under close arrest by two Konstabubbles...
Wait, you were there? Which one was you?!! *edit* I think I've figured it out... historic rifles, planning to build a dedicated accuracy rifle... You didn't happen to be sitting at the back of the class with me and the Konstabubbles at the end of the day did you? ;)

LMAO