Eley Sport .22LR ammunition, thoughts anyone?

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Eley Sport .22LR ammunition, thoughts anyone?

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

As the subject, has anyone tried Eley Sport for 50m stuff? I am looking for ammunition for LSR and prefer sub 1100fps stuff for my BSA. As I am shooting a 100 year old rifle at 50m offhand I am just looking for a low recoiling fairly accurate round. I have been shooting Club up until now.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

Re: Eley Sport .22LR ammunition, thoughts anyone?

#2 Post by Mattnall »

Not Eley, but I have found I get amazing results with SK Standard+ (or SK Magazine if you buy the tins). It is incredibly accurate and consistent as well as being just subsonic out of a standard CBC MagTech bolt gun - not the most refined of rifles and still at 35-40 yards this combination is capable of one hole groups without being expensive.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#3 Post by Geek »

I have tried Eley Sport, however, the most consistent I have tried is Eley Match.

https://eley.co.uk/eley-match/
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
Sim G
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Sim G »

The county level small bore shooters in my club use Sport. The National level use Match. As a note, the gallery guys use the cheapest, currently Blazer, and shoot it by the brick! lol
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
walesdave

#5 Post by walesdave »

Sim G wrote:The county level small bore shooters in my club use Sport. The National level use Match. As a note, the gallery guys use the cheapest, currently Blazer, and shoot it by the brick! lol
Can't go wrong. £58 /1000 Blazer. That's two range visits sorted for less than £30 a go.... bangbang
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#6 Post by channel12 »

I'm using Eley Sport in my CZ452 for my club's 50 yard monthly sporting rifle competition and was using the same in a 50 yard bench rest competition and I've no complaints. I have also used SK magazine (500 round ring pull can) in the past and now I have a decent target rifle I'm using SK Match in it.
Site Supporter Since 2015

#7 Post by 1066 »

Shooting 50m offhand is more about technique that theoretical accuracy. If shooting your rifle from sandbags off a solid bench with tenex at £22 a hundred gives you a half inch group at 50m, shooting Eley club, sport or even HP's will probably give an inch group or less. On a good day, whats a good group offhand at 50m, 3" or so? A good shot with mediocre ammunition will always outshoot a mediocre shot with perfect ammunition when shooting offhand.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#8 Post by Pippin89 »

I've shot 50m off sling with Sport and Club on the same day and found zero difference. Stepping up to Match a few weeks later did see a small improvement but it could be down to me or conditions on the day.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#9 Post by Mattnall »

Sorry Dave, I seemed to have completely missed out the Eley Sport bit I wanted to write.

I have found Eley Sport to be very good in general. I did have a batch last year that was a little variable with a few FTFs and a few 'pops', but since then (and even before) the consistency was great.
I found the energy was a little low when trying to cycle a couple of our heavier semi-autos but that won't bother you in your LSR I doubt, and the case was a little on the thin side with one old 22 conversion getting sticky cases as the rear bulged slightly into the extractor cut-out, again shouldn't bother you.
Many found they could get a one hole group at 35yds (just like the SK stuff) when rested and we only really changed from the Sport to the SK because we wanted one type for all the rifles, even the stiff semi-autos and fussy extractors.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
RDC

#10 Post by RDC »

Pippin89 wrote:I've shot 50m off sling with Sport and Club on the same day and found zero difference. Stepping up to Match a few weeks later did see a small improvement but it could be down to me or conditions on the day.
I found Match came into its own when shooting at 200 and 300.