Ruger SR22 Semi Auto

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Ruger SR22 Semi Auto

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

What are peoples opinion of the Ruger SR22 a lot of debate about AR.22 rifles but I see no mention of the Ruger. My local firearms dealer is a Ruger appointed supplier. I am not really into .22 semi autos but I thought one might be fun and I have a vacant slot. Are they worth a punt or not.
He also stocks the Kriss Defiance .22LR for a similar price.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: Ruger SR22 Semi Auto

#2 Post by bradaz11 »

it's a 10/22. do you already have a 10/22?

seems a lot of money for a 10/22 if the kriss is the same price, I'd buy a kriss given the choice, but then again, I own a S&W M&P 15/22 which I love.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
RDC

#3 Post by RDC »

The weakest, most unreliable, part is the mags. People have so much heartache with 25 round ruger mags, you'll think you're are fine and then boom, 3 start sticking after the first shot. You can clean out the gunk, do the spent casing mod and even look at filing material, but end of the day you stop trusting them when you need them to feed the most.

I have 9 BX25 ruger mags, all are numbered and I've started colour coding them with dots. Red means it's jamming and will be applied as it happens at the range. Green is working and orange is cleaned and looked at after jamming so will hopefully be working.

It even got to the point that I have switched to a different platform for mini rifle comps, purely because the S&W 15-22 mags are so reliable.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Sim G »

The SR22 has a version of the Nordic Components chassis system that allows you to fit AR handguards, grips and stocks to. It’s not a “rimfire AR”, per se. I love the 10/22 and have always had one in the cabinet, but it’s better served modifying with custom 10/22 parts rather than “hanging” stuff off it.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Blackstuff »

If you're looking for a .22 AR, buy a .22 AR. Those 10/22 stock-a-likes remind me of the difference between a European sportscar and then their Japanese knock-off counterparts (but without the reliability upgrade!)
DVC
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#6 Post by snayperskaya »

Blackstuff wrote:If you're looking for a .22 AR, buy a .22 AR. Those 10/22 stock-a-likes remind me of the difference between a European sportscar and then their Japanese knock-off counterparts (but without the reliability upgrade!)
Always found Jap sportscars to be very reliable myself teanews
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#7 Post by Lever357 »

If you are looking for a .22 AR my friend speaks highly of North West Custom Parts
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#8 Post by Blackstuff »

snayperskaya wrote:
Blackstuff wrote:If you're looking for a .22 AR, buy a .22 AR. Those 10/22 stock-a-likes remind me of the difference between a European sportscar and then their Japanese knock-off counterparts (but without the reliability upgrade!)
wtf Read that again! lol
DVC
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#9 Post by snayperskaya »

Blackstuff wrote:
snayperskaya wrote:
wtf Read that again! lol
Yep, I'm with you now lol
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!