semi Auto .22WMR, thoughts anyone?

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

semi Auto .22WMR, thoughts anyone?

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

I was struck in the chest by a couple of WMR cases ejected rather fiercely from a CZ512 the other day which set me wondering, handy range tool or overland rifle or post apocalypse thing.

Thoughts anyone?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: semi Auto .22WMR, thoughts anyone?

#2 Post by snayperskaya »

I would say costly to fed as a range tool, compared to .22LR, and probably better choices of calibre for post-apocalyse use :p
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

I am a huge fan of the 22WMR and have had great success reloading for this round.

The main problem with it having shot it in around eight different rifle is the sloppy throating of most rifles. I currently have a CZ action that I would love to have re-barrelled if there was such a thing as .22WMR chamber reamer that had a decent freebore with a positively defined chamber, lead and lands dimensions.

The round with well made bullets and good consistent priming, most factory cases are consistently primed home priming requires quiet difficult and onerous procedures to ensure consistency, it is an extremely accurate round benefiting from the higher velocity this cartridge gives and the bullet selection being far better than the ordinary .22 rimfire which requires heeled bullets.

So give me a good chamber reamer and I would have bolt and semi autos .22WMR rifles aplenty. Off the peg rifle do not do this cartridge justice currently.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Gazza

#4 Post by Gazza »

How do you reprime a rim fire case?
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

I use priming compound and acetone.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Sim G
Past Supporter

#6 Post by Sim G »

Ruger 10/22 in .22 WMR! Wished I’d never let it go!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#7 Post by Dark Skies »

A friend of mine has one and it's a straight shooter. With a scope he gets really tight groups over 100 yards. I recall he said he could go out as far as 200 yards and still maintain a good one inch to one and a half group.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
monkeyhanger

#8 Post by monkeyhanger »

Ammo expensive , bullet too fast for most indoor range specs and case extraction can be an issue. Certainly a good accurate outdoor vermin/target round but probably overtaken in popularity and performance by the .17HMR now. Used to be great fun, firing .22WMR in a ruger single six.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#9 Post by kennyc »

until everyone reaised how good a vermin round it was, the WMR was half the price to feed as an HMR, a friend has just sold his semi due to the price of ammo, although he has kept a bolt action due to the gap it fills between .22LR and .22 Hornet.
that semi took a fair view bunnies from the back of the truck in its time.
another friend had a chamber reamer for WMR so they are available.
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

#10 Post by the running man »

Pokey little round, i wouldn't like to get shot with one, considering its power, im surprised its semi auto availability is not banned.
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!