Ruger Barrel Band.

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

GordonBennett
Home club or Range: Frome & District Pistol Club

Ruger Barrel Band.

#1 Post by GordonBennett »

I’m thinking of buying a 10/22 and fitting a Magpul Hunter X22 stock which has an adjustable length of pull. I noticed that the barrel band is not transferred to the new stock. Is this band purely cosmetic?
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

Re: Ruger Barrel Band.

#2 Post by Daryll »

Thats a can of worms you've opened...!!

Many people (including me) say they're cosmetic, and the first thing they do is taken them off... if you think about the "free floating barrel" ideal, the band defeats that.
Its interesting that not all the 10/22 models have it... so it can't be that critical...

The other camp say that Ruger have been putting it on for many, many years, and if it wasn't critical they'd save a few cents by not putting them on...

If you're fitting a new stock that doesn't need the band... take it off...

If you were keeping the original stock and asking the same question, the only way to know is to shoot some groups with it on, then take it off and shoot some more groups, and see which works best.
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Ruger Barrel Band.

#3 Post by Sim G »

You won't need it on the X22 stock, don't worry about it.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!