Real EoTech or Chinese Clone for my rimfire?

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Gh0st
Home club or Range: FDPC

Re: Real EoTech or Chinese Clone for my rimfire?

#11 Post by Gh0st »

Just out of interest whats the cost difference on the Chinese clone?

I’m not a fan of holographics i tried the Eotech, and the Vortex equivalent and just don’t like the hazzeyness of the reticle compared to a solid dot and reticle. So my advice would be try one first somewhere. Then spend the money on the real thing, especially if your going to rely on it for comp work.
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk
BamBam

#12 Post by BamBam »

7792 wrote:
BamBam wrote:A quality optic can be an investment. It will probably outlive your current rifle.

I am against any form of counterfeit products, anybody that sells them has a questionable morality that has no place in UK shooting.

Sure, but there’s ‘counterfeit’ where they fake the logos to pass it off as real thing and clones that are just red dots in an EoTech style housing without attempt to mislead.
I don't know of a single reputable company who does this.

#13 Post by 7792 »

Pretty sure the airsoft maker WE produces one, depends on your definition of reputable?

Again, so long as they don’t pass it off as an “EoTech” and it’s clear it’s a lookalike simple red dot, I don’t see the problem.
BamBam

#14 Post by BamBam »

7792 wrote:Pretty sure the airsoft maker WE produces one, depends on your definition of reputable?

Again, so long as they don’t pass it off as an “EoTech” and it’s clear it’s a lookalike simple red dot, I don’t see the problem.
WE are not reputable when it comes to firearms. if you buy quality, then you only have to buy once.

It sounds like you have already decided on your justification for buying a clone, I'm sure you will at least get permission for doing that.

#15 Post by 7792 »

BamBam wrote:
7792 wrote:Pretty sure the airsoft maker WE produces one, depends on your definition of reputable?

WE are not reputable when it comes to firearms. if you buy quality, then you only have to buy once.

It sounds like you have already decided on your justification for buying a clone, I'm sure you will at least get permission for doing that.
Not really sure what your argument is tbh so I’ll leave it I think.
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#16 Post by shugie »

7792 wrote:Yeah, I think that’s to be expected on the used Acogs tbf.

Ever looked into whether it can be recharged (or whatever the correct term is)?
I don't plan to shoot at night, so don't really need it. But they've got plenty of tritium down the road at AWE if I needed some.
Careful now/that sort of thing
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#17 Post by snayperskaya »

shugie wrote:Bought the ACOG off someone on here as I recall, they do come up from time to time. The tritium is very faint, but that's not an issue.
I don't know if the same is true of ACOG's but some of the recent Russian military optics with tritium illuminated reticles have deliberately weak tritium vials specifically designed for use in conjunction with NV googles.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
AltogetherElsewhere
Home club or Range: Severnside Range

#18 Post by AltogetherElsewhere »

Without meaning to sound patronising (because I promise I'm not! Just trying to help!) have you tried looking into a middle-ground? There are plenty of decent-quality Reflex/Red-Dot/ACOG-style sights out there from reputable brands in the £70-£170 range which would be fine for a rimfire. I just picked up a Sightmark for ~£100 for my own (rimfire clone) AR. It seems to be holding just fine, and feels solid enough!

As to your question about whether it's a waste to spend a lot on a sight for a .22 - it's relative to you! How much use are you going to get out of it, relative to your other guns? How much difference is it going to make to your chosen discipline(s)?

I'd also take a good, long look at your poor rifle and ask what it has done to deserve a £15 Ebay Chinese Knock-Off! lol
You may as well spend at least that little extra to get a half-decent optic with some staying-power. As a (not so) wise television character once said: "Treat yo self".
"May you live in interesting times,"
~ Traditional Chinese Curse
andrew375

#19 Post by andrew375 »

I have a genuine Chinese fake ACOG (aka, fakog) on my s&w and I am quite happy with it. Optics are excellent and adjustments precise and repeatable. When zeroed at 20 yards the 600 metre mark on the cross hair is dead on at 100 yards with standard velocity. 22. I wouldn'tuse one on a centre fire rifle, particularly for use in practical, but for a. 22 on indoor ranges it's fine. I've been using it for 5 years for plinking and competitions without problem. A big plus is telling the gullible that it is a genuine ACOG that set me back £1500, really impresses them.
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#20 Post by Blackstuff »

AltogetherElsewhere wrote:Without meaning to sound patronising (because I promise I'm not! Just trying to help!) have you tried looking into a middle-ground? There are plenty of decent-quality Reflex/Red-Dot/ACOG-style sights out there from reputable brands in the £70-£170 range which would be fine for a rimfire. I just picked up a Sightmark for ~£100 for my own (rimfire clone) AR. It seems to be holding just fine, and feels solid enough!

As to your question about whether it's a waste to spend a lot on a sight for a .22 - it's relative to you! How much use are you going to get out of it, relative to your other guns? How much difference is it going to make to your chosen discipline(s)?

I'd also take a good, long look at your poor rifle and ask what it has done to deserve a £15 Ebay Chinese Knock-Off! lol
You may as well spend at least that little extra to get a half-decent optic with some staying-power. As a (not so) wise television character once said: "Treat yo self".
/\ This!

There are new models of Sightmark sights that are very EoTech like in appearance and Holosun product excellent red dots that look quite similar to Aimpoints (they also do a model not a million miles away from an Eotech).

I have bought a knockoff Eotech before from Ebay and it just wouldn't zero at all, let alone hold it, whereas I have a friend who put one on a shotgun and it lasted for 5 years before eventually giving out. Personally I wouldn't bother. I'd only put one on an airsoft rifle if I was still doing that.

One thing I would suggest is getting your hands on an Eotech before buying it, they are (comparatively) heavy sights and I personally wouldn't entertain one on a rifle I was going to use for mini-rifle/action type competition shooting. In fact I have an EXPS2 on my competition shotgun and I have already purchased a Holosun 515 CM to replace it due to the weight (the Holosun is living on my VZ58 MARS until that finally gets taken off me as it looks the mutts on there!).
DVC